SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Build Log
Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe

This is more of a built log than a build log but it's a pretty straight forward project.
I used 3-views and what I call H-J's construction method for the fuse and wings.
H-J's Spitfire plans are straight forward and easy to build from, but I found that using 3-views and a little CAD works well for me. Worked straight off the 3-view in attempt to keep the plane as scale as I could. Wished I'd taken more pics at the beginning, but at the time I had no intention of doing a build log.

General Spec- 48"/120cm wing span, AUW +/- 39oz, 5mm FF and 2"blue insul. covered w/ .75 fiberglass, Carbon spar(5mm arrow shaft), Motor -Grayson 2814-08 w/50 amp esc, TT prolite 3s 2100mah battery.

Almost ready to fly at this point
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Very nice build...I've always been interested in this model.Please keep us posted of the progress.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
RUFE pg 2

Ran out of room, so here's more
Would like opinions about the water rudder. Do I need it since the a$$ end of the float is barely in the water? The way the keel of the float and spray shields were designed on this plane makes me think that straight into the wind tracking is a gimme. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend to find out how she behaves w/ out it. If the tail drops down under power then the rudder will work, but if it comes up on step (I'm over the 100Wt/LB rule w/ power) right away I don't really see the point.

Please excuse the voids in my build log - and thanks alot to the experienced fellows who've posted those amazing how-to's and planes.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:28 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Looks really good. I hope to get the Fuse of mine done this week. Mine is from the unfolded SKP plans, which I can post when I am finished with them.

I would like more detail on how you made the floats removeable, if you can share.

I was hoping to put retracts in mine, and make the floats removeable for land/water action, but I'm thinking the weight will get on up there.

Lastly, did you add the little fin that is on the bottom of the fuse at teh tail, just below the vert stab? It looks like only the N type models had it, maybe replaced the tail wheel.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:47 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,525 Posts
Hi,

This is a nice Rufe Prunner, congratulations - And an original model too !

The real rufe had the rear of her central float under water at low speed - The water rudder had to help a lot to turn while taxying until the plane's rudder became efficiant.

If your plane's CoG is OK on the picture (the one where she is floating).... as soon as the speed / relative wind or the wind blowed by the propeller, will be strong enough, the rudder will be 100% functioning so... it might not be compulsory to build the water rudder.

May be, before painting the plane, you can just give a try to taxy the plane on the water without the water rudder and see if all is ok ?
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:53 AM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Derek I'm planning on doing a drop tank w/ a wheel buried in it and two wing skids that can go in the tip float spots. The fins need to be put on still, and will be pushed up in size just a little. I'll take some closeup shots of the float mount tonight. Later
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:38 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hi,

This is a nice Rufe Prunner, congratulations - And an original model too !

The real rufe had the rear of her central float under water at low speed - The water rudder had to help a lot to turn while taxying until the plane's rudder became efficiant.

If your plane's CoG is OK on the picture (the one where she is floating).... as soon as the speed / relative wind or the wind blowed by the propeller, will be strong enough, the rudder will be 100% functioning so... it might not be compulsory to build the water rudder.

May be, before painting the plane, you can just give a try to taxy the plane on the water without the water rudder and see if all is ok ?
In the pic of the main float there is a servo wire running to the fuse, so I assume he has installed a water rudder. I looked up some pics, and you are right, the rear of the main float is submerged while the plane stationary.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prunner
Derek I'm planning on doing a drop tank w/ a wheel buried in it and two wing skids that can go in the tip float spots. The fins need to be put on still, and will be pushed up in size just a little. I'll take some closeup shots of the float mount tonight. Later

Sounds good. I may build mine as a hand (no float model) at first to fly it before I invest too much time in the float assy. Maybe i can just give it mech retracts that are removeable for float flying. It will be a hassle, but I dont go back and forth really often.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Water rudder or not to?

Derek before I added to the wing loading of the float version, I'd probably just build a second wing w/ retracts. Flaps?

Dreamcatcher I'm thinking the same way w/ the water rudder. I've ran the wire for the servo which is to run the WR w/ a pull-pull set up if its needed. Attached is a pic of my like 18yr old scratch Rufe and my little 42"ws Pete. The old Rufe flew (once) w/ an OS 40 and had a much higher scale like wing loading. It's WR was/is effective and the plane sat in the water just like the photos your looking at of the full scale versions. The WR on the Pete is very effective since the tail sits a little deeper in the water. My boys have a fit everytime I threaten to set up the old Rufe and fly it so I had to build a new one and went electric.

BTW the old Rufe only flew once since I was totaly not ready for a war bird at the time nor one that took off like a rocket. I mean rocket!

The huge gap in my RC carrer has been filled w/ wife & kids and work. All growing up though I was building rubber powered kits and a couple of FF nitro powered Playboys.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:15 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
That is a good idea...two wings.

I added a foam cowl and most the rest of the tail to mine tonight. I am ready to build the wing in SKP now. Should go a little faster than the fuse, unless I decided to do a slot/tab construction. THat would be nice, but the wing shoud e easy enough without it. I am thinking about not even really putting a spar in it, and just doing a lamiated-foam spar. I call it foamlam..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:16 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Oh, andd on flaps.

Interestingly I was looking this mrning for info on the A6M flaps, and I coul not find any evidence that they had flaps. No pics of info, not even on the 3 views I saw. That woudl be amazing on a carrier based, if not impossible. Are they split flaps?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:25 PM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Yep-split flaps
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:25 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Wow

I was working on mine last night and I am impressed at how well the skp unfold is working. I almost have the wing done in skp, and will print it later today.

THis is a great plane to build so far. It seems sturdy, light, and goes together pretty easily.

I am building my 1st wing with retracts. but building the skp model with options for gear so I can build the zero or rufe from them. I need to do the flap options too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:57 AM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Cool - Derek if you want to post those here be my guest. Doesn't have to be tiled since it's easy enough to do that. Be sure to put everything heavy up front, and keep that tail lite! Zero's a famous being tail heavy. Short moment arm and all that.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,751 Posts
Right, I was actually surprised at how short the nose is. I was gonna try to vac form the cowl, but I think a little weightier foam one will help. I am also gonna allow the battery to stick out into the cowl a great distance if needed.

Any idea on where cg might be? I am prob gonna start with about 2.5: frmo LE at the fillet/root. I have glide tested jets before to find it, but never had much luck gliding standad planes. Dunno why.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Derek_S; Oct 29, 2009 at 02:36 PM.