HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How far have you flown FPV from your base station?
0km to 2km 54 64.29%
2.1km to 5km 21 25.00%
5.1km to 10km 5 5.95%
10.1km to 20km 2 2.38%
Greater than 20km !!!! 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:58 AM
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Apr 2009
167 Posts
4600m with Thomas LRS ( 500mw mode ), 500mw Lawmate 2.4 VTX ,ch5 , 12+8dbi patches (8 for videocamera ,12 for googles ,good signal on both ) ,EZ glider ,Remzibi OSD and 2200mah battery . Flight limited by battery .
2km on 35mhz with buggy transmitter but 4m antenna trailing after the plane .
Ahernar is offline Find More Posts by Ahernar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:58 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,422 Posts
Just over 7km - but only made it back to 4.... furthest recorded return 4.6km.
Long distance can be monotonous, but you have to try it. Push the limits guys
RC tx - stock 35mhz 7cap
RC rx - Corona 8ch with 4m trailing aerial. RSSI mod
Vtx: 500mw ImmersionRC 2.4ghz
V antenna: 14dbi patch / 3db omni with EZtracker/EZOSD. 3db on plane
Vrx - ImmersionRC DUO diversity 2.4ghz
Plane: Twinstar with brushless. 4000mah lipo
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,012 Posts
This is an interesting thread.

I don't yet fly FPV, although I have a model which has a camera and video downlink.

Here, in the UK, it is almost certain that long-distance FPV will become illegal as of next month (November). There will be an amendment to the Air Navigation Order which requires that the aircraft' commander keeps the model in sight at all times and is able to resolve any conflicts...that is, he must use natural, unaided vision, not binos. This is widely interpreted as meaning that the FPVer must be on a buddy lead, and that the commander (non-FPV) has the master transmitter and remains in a position to take control of the aircraft if he spots a conflict.

I'm not sure what restrictions there are in other countries.

I'd guess that most FPvers want to fly cross-country. By cross-country, I mean at a distance from which line-of-sight control is impossible or very difficult...say >500m.

I expect that most of us would agree that cross-country flying poses problems with respect to airspace infringements and other conflicts.

If we want, as I do, to be able fly cross-country legally, what case should we make to our Governments? How could we alleviate the reasonable concerns for public safety, whilst facilitating the inevitable growth of FPV? Should there, for instance, be a minimum equipment list?...or some sort of licensing scheme?...or restrictions upon size/weight? I dunno, you tell me.

Should we make any case at all, or "just do it"?

BTW, what is the AMA' stance upon FPV? In the UK, our BMFA (AMA equivalent) has proven to be quite conservative; you might almost say "anti-FPV".
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:45 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuven View Post
Shift
But the i only use the bad stock antennas, waiting for the patch:P
Yeah me too, i wonder how my GPS even works, its so close to the video tx antenna. Well, actually, it doesnt work that good
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift
Old Nov 01, 2009, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Hey just curious but what setups are the guys going 20+ km running?
bharv001 is offline Find More Posts by bharv001
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
BTW, what is the AMA' stance upon FPV? In the UK, our BMFA (AMA equivalent) has proven to be quite conservative; you might almost say "anti-FPV".
AMA's rules are basically the same as the scenario you outlined.
PIC on the main controller with visual contact to model at all times.
FPV pilot on the buddy box.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:54 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Today, I was close to 4k feet UP, and probably within 500 ft radius of where I was. I know this, because I could see over the nearby mountains, and the highest has an elevation of 9600, and I'm at 6200. AND, I was using Spektrum dx6i, and an ar7000 rx. I've had really good luck with this setup at this location.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart