HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:54 AM
Stop and take a breather
Joined Oct 2009
49 Posts
Discussion
Semi-experienced 3-4ch pilot asking advice.

Here's a list of planes I've used and the overall time they were in flying condition.

Hobby Zone Supercub - 9 months.
Flyzone Skyfly - 1 year.
Multiplex Easystar - 1 year.
Flyzone Diablo - 2 months.
Great Planes Mini Slinger - 8 months.
GWS Slow Stick -

The last two had aileron, either default of modded.

I run a Spektrum DX6i stock reciever, 2 HS-81MG's, 2 MPX Tiny-S's, Thunderbird 18 ESC, on an E flight Park 400 outrunner.

***I want to be able to go dog-fighting with the birds when I can, but also be able to practice high-alpha indoors.***

Slow stick was able to kind of do this at the beginning, but started falling apart when I switched to brushless. It also couldn't handle off-angle wind very well, and wasn't especially maneuverable.

Thinking another Easystar for birding, and it could fly in the gym with practice, but can it do high-alpha?
Either that or ask for the Exceed RC/Nitroplanes F-18 for Christmas. (RC Powers leading edge slats mod for high-alpha)

Any opinions/tips?
Dash 9 is offline Find More Posts by Dash 9
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash 9
Here's a list of planes I've used and the overall time they were in flying condition.

Hobby Zone Supercub - 9 months.
Flyzone Skyfly - 1 year.
Multiplex Easystar - 1 year.
Flyzone Diablo - 2 months.
Great Planes Mini Slinger - 8 months.
GWS Slow Stick -

The last two had aileron, either default of modded.

I run a Spektrum DX6i stock reciever, 2 HS-81MG's, 2 MPX Tiny-S's, Thunderbird 18 ESC, on an E flight Park 400 outrunner.

***I want to be able to go dog-fighting with the birds when I can, but also be able to practice high-alpha indoors.***

Slow stick was able to kind of do this at the beginning, but started falling apart when I switched to brushless. It also couldn't handle off-angle wind very well, and wasn't especially maneuverable.

Thinking another Easystar for birding, and it could fly in the gym with practice, but can it do high-alpha?
Either that or ask for the Exceed RC/Nitroplanes F-18 for Christmas. (RC Powers leading edge slats mod for high-alpha)

Any opinions/tips?
Chasing birds (Are you 14 years old?)
Crashing Diablos, slow sticks, Super Cubs and Sky-Flys?
And then an Easystar in a gym high alpha?
If not, how about an F-18 high alpha?

You are all over the place. Good luck.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:30 AM
Stop and take a breather
Joined Oct 2009
49 Posts
I'm 18, and I'm not the only bird chaser out there. You ought to try it, they're great dogfighters. Minislinger was the best for that.
Diablo was nice when it flew but the twin pod caused the left wing to pop off 3 too many times. Easystar was in gliding condition right up to the point I put it in the dumpster (I regret that decision). Skyfly was the original with single piece circuitry, and the elevator crapped out, I did get 5-7 2ch flights out of it. Slow stick could be brought back at this point if i hadn't scrapped the pushrods, and metal gears are a bit too heavy to mount on the tail, even if all I'm doing is high-alpha. Super Cub was actually my dad's but i wound up flying it more, but he crashed it enough to make it die for me.

Thanks for the luck though.

UPDATE: I've gotten a Grayson EPP Sukhoi and can't think of a good way to hinge the surfaces... I'm still looking through the epp forums but if you can give me any pointers, please do so...
Dash 9 is offline Find More Posts by Dash 9
Last edited by Dash 9; Nov 12, 2009 at 09:27 PM.