HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:49 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Discussion
Sapac Hawk Converted Canadian CT-155 Hawk

Here's an easy conversion for you. Ditch the stock nose and carve yourself a new one out of blue or pink foam. A bit of filler and some dark blue craft paint and you've got yourself a CT-155 as flown by NATO Flying Training in Canada Program (NFTC) in Cold Lake. These aircraft train NATO pilots from around the world

I used Parkzone T-28 pilots and added some visors. I also ordered the Sapac clear canopy for their composite kit which is so much nicer than the stock black one. I think it flies pretty great on the stock set up but won't win any speed or vertical performance awards. My next one would be a composite one with a real fan and a four cell.

Jack
Action Jack is offline Find More Posts by Action Jack
Last edited by Action Jack; Oct 25, 2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Forgot photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:18 PM
GEA
Props are for boats
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Nov 2007
306 Posts
Hey Action Jack!

That's a sweet Hawk you got there. I did that exact same project last winter. Also a SAPAC foam Hawk with a blue foam nose. Mine also has full flying stabs and retractable gear. Take a look here at the bottom of the page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...886736&page=16

Best regards
GEA
GEA is offline Find More Posts by GEA
Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Well that is truly a thing of beauty! Great photos with the real thing too! How do the retracts work? I'm kind of hooped to put them in now but I'm thinking my next one will be the composite model.

Well done!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:13 PM
GEA
Props are for boats
Joined Nov 2007
306 Posts
Thanks, Jack
The (mechanical) retracts work fine as long as they're on a smooth surface. However, if I'd have to build another Hawk I'd definitely go for the composite one. The foam one is ok but it is a bit of a beginner's EDF. Actually I think I might put it up for sale before too long and start off on a new project now that the winter's on the way. Don't know if it'll be another Hawk though...
Best regards
GEA
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:48 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Gents, kudos on a job well done regarding both your Hawks. It's nice to see conversions of these jets into Canadian versions for a change. Very striking aircraft.
GEA, I have sent you a PM.
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:19 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Nice job guys - always good to see our colours.

GEA what do you do at the big 2. I see a Bandit tag and 2nd luey....
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
GEA
Props are for boats
Joined Nov 2007
306 Posts
Hey Hepdog
I'm doing the fighter pilot training here. Flying the T6 at the moment and will go on the Hawk in a couple of months or so.
My question to you is: What are you doing in Manitoba????
Best regards
GEA
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
I agree that this version of the Hawk is a bit lame. I am a lot happier with my HET Hornet which is where you're headed...

Pick up a grey one, scrub it with a scratch pad, add some primer and then paint with craft paint. I fly mine on 3s2p 2100s and it is really a hoot. Bungee launch is required. Lot's of vertical even with the 3s.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
GEA
Props are for boats
Joined Nov 2007
306 Posts
That's a very sweet Hornet you got there! Actually I'm headed for the F16 as I'm here with the Danish Air Force. What kind of flight time do you get with that setup?
/GEA
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
It's pretty good really. I've flown six minutes and put 1400 ma back into the 2100's when recharging. That's six minutes without much throttle management. I think with a decent use of throttle, you could stretch that quite a bit. It maintains energy very nicely so it's not necessary to fly wide open the whole time. Big loops are possible without any inclination to fall out at the top. A down wind high speed pass is quite the thing! I really like it.

Jack
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEA View Post
Hey Hepdog
I'm doing the fighter pilot training here. Flying the T6 at the moment and will go on the Hawk in a couple of months or so.
My question to you is: What are you doing in Manitoba????
Best regards
GEA
Very cool for you. The epaulets were throwing me off but I get it now - exchange program. I used to fly Air Cadet Gliders at the Big 2 - nice base for the middle of essentially nowhere.

Me in Manitoba...long story. Basically I moved here because my job moved me here. I'm one of those inglorious bastards who vectors T-6's and Hawks all over the sky, gives really long detailed hold and MA instructions, while the student pilot tries hard to keep the blue side up. I only instruct now so you won't get to do any DCPC with me (good thing too)

It's really cool you took photos of model with the real deal. I'm currently doing a Tutor plug in as much scale as possible and have to find a suitable pedastal to do the documentation. Things were easier when I had access to MJ.

Good luck on your training.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:49 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
Hey, Hepdog. I'd like to build a nice fibreglass Tutor....

Jack
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:51 PM
GEA
Props are for boats
Joined Nov 2007
306 Posts
@Jack: The HET F18's been added to my "wish list" which is now over 2m long

@Hepdog: Sounds cool with doing ATC. Had I not joined the military pilot training I would have definitely tried to become a controller.
We have a Tutor on a pedestal at the base gate as you know. If you need any particular pictures, let me know and I'll take some and email them to you. Otherwise, we also have the Snowbirds here at the base...
Let me know.

Best regards
Stephen

EDIT: @Jack: Does the F18 have room for retractable gear?
Last edited by GEA; Oct 28, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
606 Posts
I can't see any way to get retracts in the HET Hornet. Even with major surgery and finding some super small air retracts, it would be a nightmare. I'm sure someone has tried and maybe even succeeded but it would be nasty. Ducts are in the way, the battery bay would have to be reworked. It's a heavy enough wingloading now as is.

Jack
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:47 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jack View Post
Hey, Hepdog. I'd like to build a nice fibreglass Tutor.... Jack
If the plug turns out okay, I plan to make "something" available. Keep in mind this could take a while. As you know all I can do in the winter is build it. Then in spring try to fly it...and then inevitably modify it and repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEA View Post
@Jack: The HET F18's been added to my "wish list" which is now over 2m long

@Hepdog: We have a Tutor on a pedestal at the base gate as you know. If you need any particular pictures, let me know and I'll take some and email them to you. Otherwise, we also have the Snowbirds here at the base...
Let me know.

PM sent.