Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:56 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Discussion
Late fall shots from Halifax Nova Scotia

The past week has been miserable weather with rain and high winds. This has almost devastated our fall leaves.
This afternoon saw a welcome relief, with the sun coming out and temperatures rising to 19 deg.C (yesterday we were flying in snow and hail at -1 deg.).

With a new servo mount and continuous shots on my Lumix LX3, I finally got some decent shots of the fall leaves in Halifax.

John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:14 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
Sure was a beautiful day John wasn't it ?! Company came to visit so I didn't get a chance to take advantage of it. Nice shots of Halifax and the foliage there. I think the lumix has a default blue bias that is advantageous for some scenes (with water for example) but needs to be filtered in others. I don't think the compression in the forum attachment uploader is doing your pics justice imho
Cheers!
Bolter
P.S. My favorite is Shannon Park with Tufts Cove beyond but where is everybody? you look lonely
Bolter is offline Find More Posts by Bolter
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:17 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,361 Posts
Wow! Those are beautiful shots. Gorgeous colors!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
I know what you mean about the weather. Glad you got the opportunity to get some nice shots.
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:14 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Resolution took a big hit here. I posted some of the photos at same compression on our local club website and they ended up OK .

My originals were resized to 1200 x 675 pixel and compresssed by 30% giving an approx 160-170 kb files.
These were further reduced again by half to a third by RC groups compression (53-80 Kb).

Any tips on optimizing posting sizing would be appreciated.

John
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
I would like to know how to post like this,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=344
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:16 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
John and Scrape, the method I use is to size the pics the way you want them to appear on the board, upload to a site like PhotoBucket,SmugMug etc., click and copy to clipboard the [img]tag from the list that drops down under image, paste into your post/reply. For several or more images I open two windows and move back and forth. As good as I can explain it
Cheers!
Bolter
Bolter is offline Find More Posts by Bolter
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
50 Posts
Hi John,

Great pictures.

Bolter's & your pictures will definitely make me buy LX 3. For final decission to buy the camera I would like to know one more thing from any of you. What is the resolution (dpi) of the unedited image that you get direct from the camera? If it is more than 300 dpi then I will run to buy it. One of my clients has told me that he want to print his construction site's image on a hoarding of 10 feet height & my sony does not provide more than 72 dpi images. I am in search of a good camera & the images you post here compell me for LX3.

It will be great if you can mail me one unedited image on my email id.

Thanks,

APK
AP Kihala is offline Find More Posts by AP Kihala
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:08 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
The resolution on the unedited image is 180 dpi. This is not in the 300 dpi range that you would like but is still pretty good.

I really like the camera and its 24 mm wide angle and variable format are great for landscapes. I also like the hot shoe mounting for the servo which is sturdy and simple.

Photo resolution is far better than any of my other cameras.

John
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
Norbert
Graz, Austria
Joined Feb 2006
1,580 Posts
Great pictures!
I like the view of #1 best. The red and white chimneys (?) also provide a nice color spot.

Cheers,
Norbert
EyP3 is offline Find More Posts by EyP3
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Thanks Bolter,

Old Nov 03, 2009, 07:52 PM
Halifax NS Canada
Joined Apr 2009
1,486 Posts
Great stuff John
eyeinsky1 is offline Find More Posts by eyeinsky1
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joined Jun 2009
50 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for the unedited image sent via email. The image is really better than I need. One more thing to ask, Do you shoot power off?

Really very clear picture. I enlarged the image to 10 feet height & it was crystal clear.

Thanks,

APK
AP Kihala is offline Find More Posts by AP Kihala
Old Nov 04, 2009, 01:27 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Thanks APK;
I usually shoot from the left side of the model and mostly with the motor off. I climb to altitude, line up the the model for the photo traverse, switch the motor off and use sports mode with continuous shooting.
Bolter, on the other hand shoots with his camera facing forward. There are pros and cons for each approach.
With the camera facing forward there is a reduced chance of motion blur as you are approaching the photo subject. With the side facing shots you are in constant movement with respect to the targets. It does however, allow for a better perspective for panoramic shots.
I have a forward facing camera mount for the Eyespy which I have not used for a while. I'll have to get some practice with it.

Te un-retouched shot you mentioned, I am putting up here with a just a resizing to 1000X750 pixels. We'll see how it goes through.
I noticed that the 870Kb reduced image was compressed to 112 Kb by the RC groups upload.

John
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:27 PM
Slope Soaring, Electric
Castro Valley, California
Joined Mar 2005
63 Posts
That picture is upside down, I propose this way.
Artur H is offline Find More Posts by Artur H