SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Discussion
Good glider for windy conditions

Its autumn and the winds are picking up, I haven't been able to get most of my slopers up in the air, no chance for the electrics.

I'm flying at not the steepest of slopes but the its still windy and gusty as well. The winds reach to about 50mph on the more windy days, with 60mph gusts.

The first thing that came to mind was one of the Zagi series, but maybe something like the telink tornado II would do,

http://modelflightstore.co.uk/telink%20tornado.htm

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward
Edwong is offline Find More Posts by Edwong
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:55 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Yeah, a wing with a ballast tube in it would do well in those winds.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:35 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
I would go for something faster, heavier and beefier than that. The model you link to has a flying weight of 500g. which ain't much. if you built it really heavy it might work....

Maybe something like a gulp or m60 (built heavy and strong) with ballast. Or a reaper or whatever. A fast foamie is ideal for those kind of conditions.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:52 PM
Joined Nov 2008
129 Posts
The Pluto should be the right model for you. Even DS should be possible. I saw it flying ones, and it was a strong, heavy wind. Ballast tube should be installed. Don't know if you can order it in your country.

German contributer:
http://www.webmart.de/wmshop.cfm?ID=...6372&do=detail

Video:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4416963/11843291

greets, Kai
marillion1 is offline Find More Posts by marillion1
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:15 PM
The Legend continues
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined May 2009
530 Posts
If you like conventional aircraft,

...I have several planes that would perform nicely in your environment; www.CRAircraft.com

If you want an EPP elevon control craft, I'd also suggest a JW, Raven or Gulp
CR_Aircraft is offline Find More Posts by CR_Aircraft
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
Think something like the Jp Zagi with standard servos would be better?
http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...anCode=5500285
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,706 Posts
Ed,

When you say 50 mph are you saying you've flown in 50 mph winds?

The reason I ask is if its regularly 50 mph the planes you're referencing (zagi like) would get blown over the hill unless you add a lb of lead. Those planes are really for 6-20 mph winds. Not 50 with 60 mph gusts.

I've never flown 50 mph winds, a few times in the 45+ and for foamies I threw out JW's, Halfpipe-60 (70 oz ballasted) and a HP-48 (44 oz ballasted).

The rest were 50+ oz carbon/fiberglass mouldies.

Actually I did try to fly in 70+ mph winds, but my HP was blown back over the hill.

I think you'll need to find a foamie like the 60 inch JW with ballast and build it up to 60+ oz range, same for the HP-60 if you can get one, or the 60 inch DS Gulp (Steve Drake), a Bluto (NCFM) if you can find one too or maybe a Raven (Ubercraft). Build them heavy with strapping tape and Laminating film (New Stuff), put in a ballast tube. If you're going to regularly DS in those conditions make them real strong and build them close to 100 oz.

50 mph is plenty of wind. So validate the true wind speeds you plan to fly and your experience.

Better yet find out what the locals fly and take their recommendation. Where is the slope you plan to fly in anyway?

Good luck.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
A zagi with a brick strapped to it might fly in 50mph winds.

If you have winds in the 5ompg range your looking at a 60-90oz JW, M60, Mako or equivalent thats if you are looking for EPP, if you are looking for glass/carbon your options are wide open

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Only the stiffest and heaviest 'foam' will handle 50's - no problem for a good crunchie though!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,741 Posts
The Drongo is ideal for those conditions, It will fly in 12 knots or 55 knots and a ballast tube is a must on any plane in high winds.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:59 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
Ed,

When you say 50 mph are you saying you've flown in 50 mph winds?

The reason I ask is if its regularly 50 mph the planes you're referencing (zagi like) would get blown over the hill unless you add a lb of lead. Those planes are really for 6-20 mph winds. Not 50 with 60 mph gusts.

I've never flown 50 mph winds, a few times in the 45+ and for foamies I threw out JW's, Halfpipe-60 (70 oz ballasted) and a HP-48 (44 oz ballasted).

The rest were 50+ oz carbon/fiberglass mouldies.

Actually I did try to fly in 70+ mph winds, but my HP was blown back over the hill.

I think you'll need to find a foamie like the 60 inch JW with ballast and build it up to 60+ oz range, same for the HP-60 if you can get one, or the 60 inch DS Gulp (Steve Drake), a Bluto (NCFM) if you can find one too or maybe a Raven (Ubercraft). Build them heavy with strapping tape and Laminating film (New Stuff), put in a ballast tube. If you're going to regularly DS in those conditions make them real strong and build them close to 100 oz.

50 mph is plenty of wind. So validate the true wind speeds you plan to fly and your experience.

Better yet find out what the locals fly and take their recommendation. Where is the slope you plan to fly in anyway?

Good luck.
exactly. good post. 50mph is a hell of a lot of wind and you need a model to suit. Even rigging a model up can be difficult.

You want a heavy strong, foamy, if EPP is your thing. That or a sled designed for the conditions.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:34 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,248 Posts
The "Wildthing" (UK EPP wing) will fly in 50+mph - Lee M's did on Lundy.
http://www.freewebs.com/sasepp/Wildthing%2046.htm
Not sure if Lee's is a 46 or 60inch - having fun hand catching it in big wind:
Wildthing in a wild wind (3 min 7 sec)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Oct 28, 2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
218 Posts
50mph wind is the highest it has been in the past couple weeks, most of the time its around 30; an average if you like. I'm flying at a hill outside Evesham town.

The wind is rather varied which is why I was searching for a medium, not an all-out heavy DS'er or something too light; something in between.

Thats why i like the idea of setting up the medium sized wings like the zagi's with a ballast tube so as I can still fly when there is less wind and have it ready for the heavier winds as well.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,248 Posts
Wildthings will fly in not much wind at all right up to a big blow - without needing ballast - good planes, better than a Zagi type wing - lots of very happy owners/fliers.
Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Get yourself a Super Cheetah with the thin E374 and load it up with two 16oz lead bars on the wing root between the bands...And dont worry, those rubber bands (use 8-12) dont come loose in flight unless you slap the wing on touchdown which actually saves the wing. We used to fly them in the Santa Ana's over off the 91 freeway in 50-60mph winds and boy was it a blast. Very durable non breakable fuse and beefy feathers. Just have to land her way behind the slope out of rotorville or right on the face in a wind-stall.

Have fun...EJ
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler