SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:41 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
Round 2: The LAMA V4 Dual Swashplate Project : Push Pull Straight Link Bell Head

Revisited the Dual Swash Mod and this time with the symmetrical Bell Head Push Pull mechanism and using straight swash to mixer linkages;

This is a continuation of the original concept found here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839154

This time the linkages are symmetrical and straight despite the 90 degree shift. The link configuration follows a PUSH-PULL mechanism minimizing any slop in transmitting the swash pitch data to the upper rotor blades;

The idea is to relocate the mixing arm close to the corner of the grip allowing a straight swash to mixer ball link. The sync arm is then removed (from the original config) and relocated just above the swash using two servo link arms tucked inside the upper shaft sync forks.

Tracking test video;

* Take note of the bind free flybar and how the mixers move with the swash. Such configuration allowed me to maximize the transmission of pitch data from the upper swash to the upper rotor blades.

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Tracking tests (1 min 29 sec)

Cyclic Punch Tests:

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Cyclic Punches (1 min 27 sec)

Testing the heli using a short flybar;

Cyclic Punch tests using the short flybar;

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Cyclic Punches with short flybar (0 min 54 sec)

Simple flight circuit with the short flybar;

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Indoor circuit with a short flybar (0 min 41 sec)
EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
The mix arm hub mechanism was derived from an old CP2 frame;

Mix arm hub trimmed and drilled a small hole for the mounting scew;

Checking the alignment of the screw;

Mixing hub mounted at the blade grip;

Mixing arm from a Belt CP / HBK2 tail rotor arm

Final config;

Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
you should patent this before the chineese steal it. and you should just break down already and make a cp coax(i know it probably isnt feasable just a thought)

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:02 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
you should patent this before the chineese steal it. and you should just break down already and make a cp coax(i know it probably isnt feasable just a thought)
I hope the Chinese (or whoever) have already shamelessly stolen the plans and are working on a cheap clone so I wouldn't have to recreate what EQMOD has made.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
I think once it is published on a public forum, it now becomes public domain ? Not sure.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
A short outdoor flight. Just testing and smoothing out the linkages ;

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Test Outdoor (1 min 26 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
With so much cyclic data, you can actuall put the heli's body at an extreme angle without the need of hard acceleration and still recover from it;

Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:15 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
OK! Finally achieved a much precise and crisp cyclic control on this platform by reducing the lag on the flybar;

Punch 1

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Cyclic Punches 2 (1 min 40 sec)

Punch 2

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Cyclic Punches 1 (1 min 9 sec)

How was this done ? By simply adding paddles with a slight positive pitch and heavily shortening the flybar;

A positive pitch on the paddles allows for quick stabilization by applying a small amount of lift on both sides of the flybar.

As such, lag is greatly reduced and you still get the required stabiliztion despite the shortened flybar. Also with a short flybar, load on the upper rotor motor is also reduced.

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Tracking (1 min 9 sec)

Hover stability test;

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Stable Hover (0 min 26 sec)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Outdoor video of the crisp cyclic head;

LAMA V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Test Outdoor (3 min 31 sec)
Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Improved the head some more;

Lama V4: Dual Swashplate Short Paddled Flybar Bell Mixing Version 2 : Indoor Circuits (2 min 33 sec)
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,878 Posts
awesome!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:28 PM
still running into stuff...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
7 Posts
That thing is awesome! how can I get you to convert my Axe CX Micro
Constrictor007 is offline Find More Posts by Constrictor007
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:48 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Wow, you deserve a medal for even understanding the setup, let alone tuning it.

Maybe Kamov needs an engineer?
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Apr 05, 2010, 03:56 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2010
54 Posts
This is awesome EQMOD, I've been reading most of your threads and it just blows my mind how agile these coax have become with a dual swashplate mod.

I'm currently waiting on UPS to deliver my spanking brand new Walkera 5#10 that will very possibly be joining the ranks of double swashplate machines out there.
Quick question, Do you think the shortened paddled flybar mod is better than a flybarless dual gyro design?
nubskillz is offline Find More Posts by nubskillz
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:12 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Also EQMOD,
I've seen you talking about flybarless vs flybared setup. Does the flybarless setup flies like a FP? (ie. unless forward cyclic is corrected, it remains going forward) Or the moment you release the stick, it locks to hover (stock lama hover feel)?
How about the controls on this Link Bell Head, is it stock lama hover feel?
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85