HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
Marblehead, MA
Joined Oct 2004
61 Posts
fmkit
Is it possible to modify the code to add switches to the Nunchuck for the additional channels? An on/off switch for OSD blanking, pod retract, shutter. etc. would be great. Trying to remember a sequence for the C and Z buttons is less desirable for me.
wgreeley is offline Find More Posts by wgreeley
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreeley View Post
fmkit
Is it possible to modify the code to add switches to the Nunchuck for the additional channels? An on/off switch for OSD blanking, pod retract, shutter. etc. would be great. Trying to remember a sequence for the C and Z buttons is less desirable for me.
It's not that complicated:

short Z - deactivates throttle stick, motor off
short C - restore throttle stick and rudder

two short C - use rudder stick to adjust throttle offset (centered thr. stick level)
3 short C - use rudder stick to set CH5
4 short C - use rudder stick to set ch6
5 short C - use rudder stick to set ch7
6 short C - use rudder stick to set ch8
example if you were in thr. adjust mode (2rapid clicks) there is no need to reset to mode 0(one short C), you can go stright to another channel by rapidly clicking C 2-6times, if you had more than 6clicks it's treated as 6.

long(1S) C - store newly set channels to EEPROM (was Z), only if current mode is 2,3,4,4,5 rapid C clicks, or short C to exit without updating EEPROM

Long C used to step ch9 50% and 100%, short C to 0%

if receiving end had brains(matching microcontroller) usage would be simple, for example in my system if ch6 goes from 0 to 50% all first 4 channels become camera control(pan,tilt,zoom,shutter) and old data (elev/ail/thr/rudder) hold last position. This way you don't transmit lots of static channels all the time, you only have that much fingers that can reach limited number of controls at time so why transmit lots of channels similtaneously ?
If you get used to multiplexing (such as multifunction Rudder stick in this Nunchuk) there is no limit to channel qty. Think how functional iPhone is - and how many buttons/switches used ?
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Last edited by fmkit; Oct 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Ergonomic

just got new neopren armband off ebay.
so much hapiness out of $5 thing when it fits well
I calculated 4 hours continues use with this 0.5w UHF radio and single lipo cell powering it.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:48 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
328 Posts
Amazing work (as always) fmkit!
From what I understand the modified nunchuck generated a ppm signal and plugs into the trainer port of a normal radio?
With your set-up using a UFH radio, how do you interface the nunchuck/modulate the PPM signal for transmission with the UHF TX? How do things work on the rx side?
Thanks,
Nick
nick.sargeant is offline Find More Posts by nick.sargeant
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:07 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.sargeant View Post
Amazing work (as always) fmkit!
From what I understand the modified nunchuck generated a ppm signal and plugs into the trainer port of a normal radio?
With your set-up using a UFH radio, how do you interface the nunchuck/modulate the PPM signal for transmission with the UHF TX? How do things work on the rx side?
Thanks,
Nick

thanks Nick !
see post 47
the standard 20ms PPM frame has gap to let the receiver sinc. If you remove the gap PPM signal won't get distorted by PLL circuit, rate goes up and there is no channel number limit. I haven't tried to feed PPM into microphone jack but it should work. The nunchuck has PPM output that can be pluged into standard gear.
Receiving and has special chip (Cypress PSoC or "system on chip") that does very good job of detecting signal in heavy noise. All PSOC chips have so called "global lines" so you can output 20 PWM channels simultaneously if you want. And these channels are high resolution 48MHz divided by 16bit.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:10 AM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
just got new neopren armband off ebay.
so much hapiness out of $5 thing when it fits well
I calculated 4 hours continues use with this 0.5w UHF radio and single lipo cell powering it.
I think fmkit earned the price as most innovative RC equipment hacker on rcgroups not only for this
Jack_LaLanne is online now Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly Hobby ASW28
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:18 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
fmkit: EXACTLY what I'm looking for ... this thing is getting better every day.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:54 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Mate - You need to setup Post 1 on this thread with a link where people can buy, and maybe rename the thread.

I am off to purchase as I am keen to play with this!!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:45 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcom View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to use a modified version of your controller code for this? Arduino boards and xbees seem a little complicated for a simple pan/tilt and head tracker.
I never used Arduino, C language is portable.
Now imagine you're looking at LCD screen 45 degree down (or video glasses) and wearing accelerometers for headtracking, as long as you're pointing your head down(some45%) accelerometers completely replace gyros. No drift !!
Sparkfun sells tiny breakout boards small enough to hide inside regular (evg920?) goggles .
Converting Nunchuck accels into PPM is no different than headtracking, if you want just a chip to add or replace channels in your existing radios PPM train
let me know.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:22 PM
Lijnden, the Netherlands
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Hi would it be possible to hook it up to the assan hack module which also connects to the trainer port of a transmitter. This way you can have a very cheap 2,4 ghz system

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dule_(PPM_Only)
jarconman is offline Find More Posts by jarconman
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:53 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,420 Posts
Yes, is possible, is the way I am planing to use it, hooked to a similar Hitec module.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:57 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarconman View Post
Hi would it be possible to hook it up to the assan hack module which also connects to the trainer port of a transmitter. This way you can have a very cheap 2,4 ghz system

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dule_(PPM_Only)

absolutely, Nunchuck PPM no different than any other radio's trainer port output.
I used 2.4GHz modules with Nunchuck for 2 months (indoor,simulator only)
not exactly Assan - these are Airwave digital audiolink, I was feeding PPM into left channel. Airwave modules specified 3ms latency, with added Nunchuck's 5ms avg. latency it was still very good. Now I'm using UHF modules indoors and outdors. Note that I offered standard 20ms frame to be compatible with aged gear. If someone wants faster frame - ask. For example RealFlight G3.5 and G4 work OK with 12ms frame.

Offered Nunchuck is tested w/RealFlight, that is none of the channels needs reversing or can be reversed. I'm developing new firmware for different microcontroller to include elevon mix and all channels reversing. If both buttons are held for 2s or longer you hear continues tone (all other tones are single clicks or motorola style rodger beep) then enter number of short clicks - the number of channel to reverse. Say 3 clicks to reverse throttle, 4 for rudder and so on. If you have better scheme let me know. I'll program whatever makes remote easier to use.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:03 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Is there a possible RTF setup with the UHF system and a rx included? If so I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:04 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Sid3ways: same here too I think it should be available soon.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:43 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
absolutely, Nunchuck PPM no different than any other radio's trainer port output.
I used 2.4GHz modules with Nunchuck for 2 months (indoor,simulator only)
not exactly Assan - these are Airwave digital audiolink, I was feeding PPM into left channel. Airwave modules specified 3ms latency, with added Nunchuck's 5ms avg. latency it was still very good. Now I'm using UHF modules indoors and outdors. Note that I offered standard 20ms frame to be compatible with aged gear. If someone wants faster frame - ask. For example RealFlight G3.5 and G4 work OK with 12ms frame.

Offered Nunchuck is tested w/RealFlight, that is none of the channels needs reversing or can be reversed. I'm developing new firmware for different microcontroller to include elevon mix and all channels reversing. If both buttons are held for 2s or longer you hear continues tone (all other tones are single clicks or motorola style rodger beep) then enter number of short clicks - the number of channel to reverse. Say 3 clicks to reverse throttle, 4 for rudder and so on. If you have better scheme let me know. I'll program whatever makes remote easier to use.

Will we be able to update the firmware - as I have purchased one from you, but would be good to be able to reverse the servos.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member