Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:11 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
So here is a question...

Can it have full proportional throttle control? Do you have the ability to fully control the throttle while you fly?
it is proportional throttle ,
I had to use tricks to make throttle easy and safe
Normal nunchuck has joystick centered, you don't want throttle on by default.
Now you can use both sticks simultaneously to control throttle and cut it of or turn on instantly with buttons.
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:26 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Update

I modified Nunchuck adapter firmware a bit:
now it has two outputs, positive and negative PPM
Usually polarity doesn't matter
except when you're modulating RF generator such as UHF radio
those who ordered Nunchuck with chip planted will get 4pin molex connector as pictured below
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
Alexander/Sweden
Hemavan/Sweden
Joined Nov 2006
65 Posts
Have you tested to fly a ordinary plane whit this, not just the quadcopter?

I think it would have prety good precision whit the quadcopter but in a plane you will have a different approach.

Cant wait to test my easy star:P hehe
Tuven is offline Find More Posts by Tuven
Old Oct 28, 2009, 01:45 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuven View Post
Have you tested to fly a ordinary plane whit this, not just the quadcopter?

I think it would have prety good precision whit the quadcopter but in a plane you will have a different approach.

Cant wait to test my easy star:P hehe
@ Tuven:
I shipped your Nunchuck today.
I use Nunchuck to fly flying wigs, Some time ago I was tempted to assign Rudder stick to aileron (flying wings don't have rudder) but eventually accelerometer/aiileron worked best, that is 3 channels that you can't fly without(ail/elev/thr) always on while rudder stick can be switched to control many other channels, what i'm saying you're always in control of craft while in normal or setup mode, with rudder or while it is assigned to other channels.

the controller has mild expo on elev/ail and dual rates so you should be able to coontrol anything.
Remenber when powering up the thtrottle stick is dead until you press C-button and then it goes stright to preset level. As I noted earlier throttle stick is normally centered and you should get used to it, centerd stick is very useful when controlling heli while doing fast moves.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
I have plenty of chips but not that much time to do mods. If you're able solder SMT (just few wires) I'll ship without delay programmed chip + buzzer. Original Nunchuck has four lines: ground,+3.3v,SDA,SCL
the chip provides 3v for the Nunchuck and converts I2C into PPM that can be plugged into transmitter or simulator. The chip has pins to automatically turn on Midland radio, enter menu mode and key in ch8 but you don't have to use them(may be in the future?) .The chip powered by 3-5v, single cell lipo OK. If you order nunchuck chip I'll modify it to standard rate(20ms).
The chip and buzzer can be soldered standalone with Nunchuk extention cable from dealextreme or planted inside the Nunchuck . See photo.

note, there are many aftermarket Nunchucks that just as great as originals and only cost $3-$5 off ebay free shipping, there is one kind identified by shipper "Xuxin" that won't communicate with the chip. I bought atleast 50 nunchucks off ebay and 5 were "Xuxin", they work OK when in series with MotionPlus so I have to work on firmware a bit more. Nunchucks from DealExtreme are "proper" kind .

I would be very interested and have more then the capabilities to solder the wires.

Can we chat more over e-mail?

PM sent.

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Oct 28, 2009, 02:58 PM
Alexander/Sweden
Hemavan/Sweden
Joined Nov 2006
65 Posts
I see.

Good to know.

Btw

What´s the best thing to power the nunchuk? 3.3 voltage regulator.

The futaba have power in the trainer port.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:31 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
I see.

Good to know.

Btw

What´s the best thing to power the nunchuk? 3.3 voltage regulator.

The futaba have power in the trainer port.
original nunchuck needs 3.3v,if you apply more than that MMA7260 chip gets hot to touch

The modified Nunchuck can be powered 3.3v to 5v (1S lipo ok)

if I had Futaba I'd use it to power the nunchuck, it only draws 21mA

I'm testing all the Nunchucks with RealFlight controller which has label "by Futaba" , the controller doesn't care about PPM being negative or positive
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:40 PM
Alexander/Sweden
Hemavan/Sweden
Joined Nov 2006
65 Posts
No problem then, will powere it from the port.

BTW have you look about the trackR2 headtracker pdf?
It would be great to use it in the same time as the nunchuk.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
No problem then, will powere it from the port.

BTW have you look about the trackR2 headtracker pdf?
It would be great to use it in the same time as the nunchuk.
Do you have o-scope to check trackR2 output ?
in the manual it says ch5 and ch6 are default, what happens if no input PPM
Will the trackR2 output anything ? if yes I'll make Nunchucks with trackR2 input.
the manual says about gyro drift , how bad is it ?
I used MEMS sensors that are part Wii MotionPlus 3-axis giro and haven't noticed any drift. Todays components become cheap, higher quality and often it's easier to design new (headtracker?). My guess by the time trackR2 was designed MEMS sensors were not available.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:03 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,838 Posts
Couldn't you turn the nunchucks into a head tracker unit? Just hangs by your side. Set throttle click and hold button, headtrack on. Release button, tracking off, servos back to centre.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:27 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Couldn't you turn the nunchucks into a head tracker unit? Just hangs by your side. Set throttle click and hold button, headtrack on. Release button, tracking off, servos back to centre.
yes, nunchuck is the cheapest and very effective drift free headtracker IF you're willing to tilt a bit head sideways instead of rotating, it was done and used by many incl.me.
here is how
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Nov 2007
291 Posts
Why do you have to tilt your head instead of rotating as with the normal headtracker? The nunchuck can track rotating movements, as i understand, because it can control rudder, so why cant it control panning of the camera by turning your head to the side?
Shift is offline Find More Posts by Shift
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:15 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Why do you have to tilt your head instead of rotating as with the normal headtracker? The nunchuck can track rotating movements, as i understand, because it can control rudder, so why cant it control panning of the camera by turning your head to the side?
Original Wii system use MotionPlus to measure 3-axis rotation

Nunchuck joystick used for Rudder and Throttle control.
If you have thick neck (or no neck at all ) you may tilt your body a bit to rotate camera and tilt head as with regular headtracker) , it's not as weird as it sounds , you get used in no time and will enjoy drift free operation.

Even so rarely used, there are tricks to get rotation data out of an accelerometer but then you have all the problems of gyro based headtracker I'd rather forget about drift and cumbersome setup and get used to tilt my head a bit, don't break your neck 2degrees tilt can be translated into 180 degree pan.As slow as you wish, your videos will be smooth and pleasant to watch. No gyro can detect very slow motion (forget about slow pan), for video clip making replacing gyro tracker with accelerometer is an upgrade.(понятно ?)
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:06 AM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2008
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
yes, nunchuck is the cheapest and very effective drift free headtracker IF you're willing to tilt a bit head sideways instead of rotating, it was done and used by many incl.me.
here is how
Wouldn't it be easier to use a modified version of your controller code for this? Arduino boards and xbees seem a little complicated for a simple pan/tilt and head tracker.
arkcom is offline Find More Posts by arkcom
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:18 AM
Alexander/Sweden
Hemavan/Sweden
Joined Nov 2006
65 Posts
fmkit

I dont have a o-scope,

The gyro drift verry much in my case, must recalibrate it al time.

But i cant se the problem, it have a trainer port and a student port so it can bypass the trainer.

You should make a little video when you are flying the quadcopter:P just to show the ninchuk in action hehe