HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:45 PM
FPV FTW
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2004
157 Posts
I would be interested to buy a complete setup.. Nunchuck + UHF transmitter + UHF reciever. How much would something like that cost?
logicwins is offline Find More Posts by logicwins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:32 AM
FPV Junkie
somewhere in space
Joined Aug 2006
671 Posts
Hi Fmkit ,

I've go a nunshunk already here , i'm interested to test it on a std 20 ms radio module

Is it possible to have programed cypress to test the ergonomy of piloting ?

PM for the "how to"

thx
tazdevil is offline Find More Posts by tazdevil
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:49 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
I didn't expect that much interest about Nunchuck
After receiving few PMs I'm going to offer a bit modified version of Nuncuck that I'm using, mod is nessesary cause some important features complemented by receiver such as EXPO (great noise surpressor!) and elevon/tricopter mixes.
Trappy wants elevon mix in the Nunchuck, got it!

If you have your own wishes (channel mapping,modes/mixes) please post here.

It will take 2-3 days I'll post paypal "buy now" button.
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:57 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Expo will be a very nice feature. I fly my planes with 80% expo usually to get smooth turns. It would be great if there will be some way of configuring these numbers, e.g. through a config file and USB port. Not sure if that is feasible, though.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:11 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Meanwhile all the settings/modes set using combination of long/short clicks using just two buttons. I tried adding displays and switches but the thing quickly becomes ugly, the nunchuck is pretty small device, beside the chip and buzzer nothing else should be added.
Think of combination keys, remeber - there is 3-axis accelerometer inside, pushing button while the nunchuck is tilted at different angle is equal having 2nd button with different function, The controller knows every moment its position, say powering on while the controller upside down to reverse whatever channel currently is in its extreme and so on.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:33 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
i dont know if the Nunchuck is the best controller (to each their own right?) but i'm sure a lot share your point of view that the double sticks from our current transmitters are a bit out dated especially for FPV.
in 3D helis its really harder for me to make aerobatics with theses compared to computer joysticks for example. (some are also linked with ppm output)

then again they're good to use without a desk, so I suppose Nunchuck solves that
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:54 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00
i dont know if the Nunchuck is the best controller (to each their own right?) but i'm sure a lot share your point of view that the double sticks from our current transmitters are a bit out dated especially for FPV.
in 3D helis its really harder for me to make aerobatics with theses compared to computer joysticks for example. (some are also linked with ppm output)

then again they're good to use without a desk, so I suppose Nunchuck solves that
1st time I used Nunchuck with Jump Jet quadrocopter, with the original remote throttle managment was too intense - push to much and the quad hits cealing, too low and it's on the floor..With nunchuck I made it float with while throttle stick is centered , that is neutral position easily set then you can do whatever moves and when stick left alone it just floats. As I noted earlier double click on C button turns Rudder stick into throttle step up/down (neutral adjust) while dedicated throttle stick remains active, this way you have 2D throttle control that's very useful while controlling heli.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:57 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
I just opened another Nunchuck and going to mod it with updated 8pin SOIC chip (CY8C24123A), I'm going to post pictures as the mod goes. The chip will be planted inside Nunchuck along with buzzer and LED.
Output of the nunchuk will be standard 20ms frame, 8 proportional channels.

See the pictures: first step was to cut power, SDA,SCL lines.
output connector is should be 3 pins(ground,+,ppm) but for a while I use 4 pins in order to load firmware into empty chip.
Do not reference wire color - most Nunchucks have different color scheme.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
I just tested simplified version of Nunchuck adapter chip, it outputs standard rate 20ms frame, 9channels , used small 8 pin chip
now anyone can use it with simulator or plugged into real transmitter.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:24 AM
Marblehead, MA
Joined Oct 2004
59 Posts
fmkit
So, if I understand this correctly, the nunchuck could be a direct input to one of the long range UHF systems (Thomas or Daniel's)?
wgreeley is offline Find More Posts by wgreeley
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:50 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreeley
fmkit
So, if I understand this correctly, the nunchuck could be a direct input to one of the long range UHF systems (Thomas or Daniel's)?
sure, it's a PPM generator made to replace or compliment traditional boxed transmitters. Thomas or Daniel's systems won't know difference where PPM is coming from. My own UHF system benefits from fast refresh rate of about 5ms (transmitted into air signal). To be compatible with aged 20ms rate systems I just modified the firmware so anyone can use the nunchuck.
Note, the chip doesn't have to be inside Nunchuck, in-line adapter OK. Extention cable cost as much as new Nunchuck so I use molex
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:28 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
fmkit: how would this work over your UHF I see with the walkie-talkie? also, what is required for receiver side?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:08 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
fmkit: how would this work over your UHF I see with the walkie-talkie? also, what is required for receiver side?
so you're after 536km record ?
when nunchuck is paired with 2way radio there is one chip planted in radio and no mods nunchuck used. When powered applied the chip automatically turns the radio on, enter menu mode, sets channel and starts transmitting.
The chip is specific to Midland LXT series. See detailed photos of modded radio here:

these sets I made for friends, my own Nunchuck has built-in 18650 Li-Ion and UHF transmitter module, totally selfcontained pocket remote.
Tested 5km with only 80mW output power.

Receiver is any 2way radio, at the bottom of this page linked few pictures of prepped receivers
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
the reason I want to get the nunchuck is because of the hands-free operation not the UHF tx. But ... I need the UHF tx in order to get it hands-free, otherwise the nunchuck is tied to the TX.

I really like the idea of the wrist-band mounted UHF tx and the nunchuck in your hand. It's a very simple, self-contained unit.

And one last question on the nunchuck-control. Obviously when you throw the plane you want the sticks to remain in neutral position despite of how your hand moves ... have you factored in that?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:29 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
the reason I want to get the nunchuck is because of the hands-free operation not the UHF tx. But ... I need the UHF tx in order to get it hands-free, otherwise the nunchuck is tied to the TX.

I really like the idea of the wrist-band mounted UHF tx and the nunchuck in your hand. It's a very simple, self-contained unit.

And one last question on the nunchuck-control. Obviously when you throw the plane you want the sticks to remain in neutral position despite of how your hand moves ... have you factored in that?
push Z button Long (2s) to freeze accelerometers,
push C button shortly to remove freeze and set throttle to stored position.
Momentary push Z button to cut-off throttle

After I spilled my own blood with wild tricopter I thought about safety very thoroughly

also nice thing about Nunchuck is it symmetrical shape, use whatever hand