Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:56 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
Idea
536km

some guys getting 536km range using couple inch long antenna and only 0.5w output power
check above link (Wiki)upper right picture, ha !
Unlike European PMR radios sold in USA 10 times stronger (5w).
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:37 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
so you've hooked this up to the wii nunchuck already?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:06 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,803 Posts
"The best known long distance record is 535.8 km (333 mi) from the town of Blyth in United Kingdom to the city of Almere in The Netherlands.[2] However, this was the result of enhanced propagation conditions, not a line of sight signal, and so is not representative."

Unfortunately, we can't always bounce our signal off the ionosphere or whatever.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
BushmanLA: I'd be happy with half of the record distance
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:12 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
feeding PPM into transmitter is easy, but who needs bulky equipment ?
I used Wii Nunchuck cause flying with accelerometers is intuitive
10 proportional channels out of Nunchuck using C and Z shift keys
headtracking too
Accelerometers don't wear out, if Joystick was built without pots it would be one remote controller for life.

Think of it - 10channels remote and you have 2nd hand free to launch wings.
With nunchuck I became helicopter hero on my flight simulator.Using traditional sticks I can't be so fast. Sticks were invented before I was born, who needs them nowadays esp. after Nintendo introduced Nunchuck !
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:14 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
what's the control mapping that you are using? the pot for throttle and the accelerometers for ailerons and elevator? how much for a system?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
can you send complete details of your system?
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
half message posted by error
Last edited by fmkit; Oct 25, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
fmkit: what about hardware mixing? I fly delta ... so I'd need flaperon controls. No need for simulator ... a cheap plane will do

cheers, trappy
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:45 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
What is really special, after using UHF for about 3 years I modified firmware again so frame rate variable , average 7ms, 3-axis accelerometer and joystick read every 4ms.
Trappy, if you want modded nunchuck to try it on your simulator or plug it into transmitter's trainer port paypal $30. That is 3wire device (ground,+5v,PPM)
For non-UHF usage I'll program it to output standard 20ms rate.

How I use it:
X-Y accels for aileron/elevator
X-Y joystick rudder/throttle (thrtl reversed - pull>>increase)
because throttle stick normally centered I have to use buttons: Short push on Z button cuts off throttle instantly, short click on C button does reset+activates throttle to preset. Two fast clicks on C-button does switching of rudder stick into Throttle so you have two dimensions of throttle - rudder stick slowly steps up/down, true throttle hold that is instantly stored by pressing Z button while in mode 2. That feauture came from the days I was learning to fly Quadrocopter. With throtlle position stored instantly you can play quad as "spring".
Modes(rest of proportional channels) switched by rapidly clicking C button. Single click to default.
There is also HOLD mode, if you need to put active remote down and hold accelerometer data hold Z button for 3s.
Low battery buzzer added, the buzzer also used to indicate keystrokes, without buzzer it would be difficult to distinguish fast/slow clicks and what mode you're in. Original Nunchuck doesn't have buzzer.
I worked 3 months to polish the Nunchuck, I can't think of controlling tricopter or quad without it.

edit. Elevon mixing can be added, usually I have mixer in the receiver so no mode switching on the remote. If you want elevon mixing I'll program it, say holding Z button while powering on to switch the mode and store it in EEPROM till next power on/key combination.
Last edited by fmkit; Oct 25, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Trappy, if you want modded nunchuck to try it on your simulator or plug it into transmitter's trainer port paypal $30. That is 3wire device (ground,+5v,PPM)

Are you serious?

Can anybody else give the nunchuck a shot? Like me??? I will gladly pay to kill a bird

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:52 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmcn_3

Are you serious?

Can anybody else give the nunchuck a shot? Like me??? I will gladly pay to kill a bird

Chris
I have plenty of chips but not that much time to do mods. If you're able solder SMT (just few wires) I'll ship without delay programmed chip + buzzer. Original Nunchuck has four lines: ground,+3.3v,SDA,SCL
the chip provides 3v for the Nunchuck and converts I2C into PPM that can be plugged into transmitter or simulator. The chip has pins to automatically turn on Midland radio, enter menu mode and key in ch8 but you don't have to use them(may be in the future?) .The chip powered by 3-5v, single cell lipo OK. If you order nunchuck chip I'll modify it to standard rate(20ms).
The chip and buzzer can be soldered standalone with Nunchuk extention cable from dealextreme or planted inside the Nunchuck . See photo.

note, there are many aftermarket Nunchucks that just as great as originals and only cost $3-$5 off ebay free shipping, there is one kind identified by shipper "Xuxin" that won't communicate with the chip. I bought atleast 50 nunchucks off ebay and 5 were "Xuxin", they work OK when in series with MotionPlus so I have to work on firmware a bit more. Nunchucks from DealExtreme are "proper" kind .
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
for me this would be interesting as a "show off" item on shows. the range needs to be 10km, but I guess this is no problem with your UHF radios. So I'd be interested in the combination of nunchuck with UHF link.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 03:03 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
for me this would be interesting as a "show off" item on shows. the range needs to be 10km, but I guess this is no problem with your UHF radios. So I'd be interested in the combination of nunchuck with UHF link.

Or "hide off" ?
it's getting cold in your area, fly RC with hands in your pockets, get warm plus pretend you're not the pilot
Old Oct 25, 2009, 03:05 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I think you have not seen my ground station