HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:41 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Discussion
What would you feel or do if you were in this situation?

I was forced to do a crash landing with my heli (SRB Quark) at a nearby public park this afternoon, because a gust of wind blew it away and I was having trouble finding orientation when facing the sun. It went down about 200 yards away from me, and kids (6 to 7 years old) saw and hurried to pick it up. I was just hoping they won't mess it up as I continued walking towards the *crash site*. I looked around feeling a little embarrassed of the crash. And suddenly, things happened pretty fast...I saw the kids no longer in the crash site nor my Quark. I asked one of the kids where did they put the helicopter. Nobody could tell me for a minute (I began to feel really worried). Finally, one of them admitted to putting the heli in the drainage hole.

What would you guys feel or do if you were in my situation?
Have you guys experienced anything more stupid than this from spectators?
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I'd be a little angry...but that's a waste of energy Kids being kids. Don't blame the kids. Generally it's the parents who are at fault for not raising them with good morals.
were you able to recover it?
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:57 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,862 Posts
Yea not much you can do.... I don't generally fly around kids because they chase flying things with a vengeance.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:04 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
That's a bummer. Can imagine your anxiety...would not have been fun. Did you get it back? Agree with Bill...awkward situation.

On another forum I read about a nice bloke who actually lost his flybarless Gaui 200...running a mini V as well. Never did find it after extensive searching.

I am considering fitting a lost model alarm to my gaui so that when it loses tx bind (just switch the tx off) it will be audible until the lipo dies. Another reason to get moving on this for me!

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:05 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,863 Posts
Hind sight being 20/20 and the "Iv'e been there and done that speech": I am glad you got it back. Lesson learned.......

From now on, I would either find a different place to fly ( a park being a public place....kids allowed) or try not flying in such conditions where a gust will send your bird in a direction or attitude you don't want it to go.

Again, thankyou for sharing and I am pleased you were able to retrieve it...

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is online now Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:42 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
I would be angry and not go back to that park to fly any more.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
583 Posts
Parents are responsible for the damages their kids cause. I would have pursued it with the parents if I was not able to recover it or they caused it some damage. Same goes for pet owners.
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:09 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Yes, I got it back (good thing!).

When I noticed the adults who were with the kids didn't seem to care, I told them the heli cost $300. So they quickly stood up and called all the men who came with them. Two of them opened a manhole going to the drainage, then went and retrieved my heli.

The only thing I didn't like is I could not find the control links which got separated from the heli. I usually don't move a heli from its crash spot to make it easier to find dislodged parts.
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
kids will be kids .. weekends are the worst time to fly imo, every moron and their uncle is out and about looking for someone to mess with or impress you with their radio or mutt
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:06 PM
Wish my coax could autorotate
Riverdale Md.
Joined Aug 2009
819 Posts
I always try to give people,animals and especially children a wide berth.Besides distracting questions while your trying to fly it is possible to loose control and hit people or objects.If the park is too populated I move to another location.Early mornings and late evenings during week days are the best.Sometimes its worth it to go further away to have privacy.
airwolf2006 is offline Find More Posts by airwolf2006
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:59 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Severely restrict your desired activities in the presence of children. That applies whether the children are yours or not.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
I know in the US they tend to be more lenient on these things - but if you took your model to a public park in the UK and crashed it in the vicinity of children then the parents would be quite likely to put you and your model in the care of the police to see if any charges should be brought against you for the endangerment of their children and if your activity was legal in the first place.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Last edited by Hellraser; Oct 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Lenient? US? We're the most litigiuous culture on the face of the earth. Look it up in any database. More people get sued for more things in the US than anywhere.

No matter what country you're in, stay away from children. Again, see database. Kids are the root of more litigation than any other single issue.

When it comes to children, I strongly recommend against having any. The little boogers are just as likely to come back and sue you. Really.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:41 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Yes I know about the likelihood to sue in the US but you still seem to be more laid back when in comes to modelling - in the UK if you fly anything there are strict laws and by-laws of what you can fly and where

http://www.bmfa.org/ANO/index.html

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:50 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Apr 2007
1,605 Posts
well first off.. flying helis in an area of children would be common sense a no-no anyways.

second, i guess when you fly at a public park, anything can happen and since its not a privatized event area its fair game for whatever happens.

kids are just being dumb young kids. although it depends on how old they are.
whether or not they saw you flying it, knew it was yours, and still threw it into the drain.. I would pursue the parents. of course they could easily say "nope, not paying, you shouldnt be flying that here anyways"

i would just chalk it up, pay for the damage myself and never go back. find a more private location or leave when people show up and get in the way.

sorry to hear about the expensive crash though.
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx