SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2009, 03:59 PM
Flight n00b
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Alert
How to properly charge Airtronics SD-10G

Many people on these forums seem to misuse the SD-10G's charger. When I tried to charge my new Airtronics SD-10G TX for the first time, the included charger's light stayed red for about 15 minutes then turned green. However the TX did not fully charge. To properly charge, keep the TX plugged in for 24 hours, even after the light turns green.

Taken from page 17 of the manual:
Quote:
IMPORTANT The battery charger included with your SD-10G transmitter is a capacity-sensing charger. During the charging process, the charger will sense the battery's maximum capacity, then switch to a 20mAH trickle charge, which can be left on the transmitter for up to 72 hours after the charging light turns green.

To ensure maximum battery capacity and transmitter usage time, we suggest that the first 5 charges are 24 hour-total charges, regardless of when the charging light turns green. For the first 5 times that you charge the battery, charge for a 24 hour period, then discharge the battery under normal use until the low voltage alarm sounds. After charging the battery for the first 5 times using this method, you can subsequently charge the battery for the standard amount of time (until the charging light turns green).
GravityGun is offline Find More Posts by GravityGun
Last edited by GravityGun; Oct 24, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
Great info. Do you know of any reviews on the sd10g?

Thanks
lucasavaitor is offline Find More Posts by lucasavaitor
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:54 PM
Flight n00b
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
The Oct '09 Model Airplane News has a review.

I also found the following very informative (set of 3 menu walkthroughs):
Airtronics SD-10G First Impressions Part 1 of 3 (6 min 28 sec)

Airtronics SD-10G First Impressions Part 2 of 3 (9 min 58 sec)

Airtronics SD-10G First Impressions Part 3 of 3 (9 min 56 sec)

Here's an old (July '09) Model Air News preview video:
Airtronics SD-10G Radio (2 min 31 sec)

There was one video review by a hobbyist I can no longer find, among other (overwhelmingly) positive feedback in the forums.

Best
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:53 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityGun
To properly charge, keep the TX plugged in for 24 hours, even after the light turns green.

Taken from page 17 of the manual
Glad to see the manual has been revised. That should help prevent a lot of the problems.
The original text on page 17 erroneously stated that the battery was fully charged when the charge light changed to green.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
304 Posts
Well, I had a problem with my 10G fully charging even when left on for 24 hours. Emailed Hobby People tech support and they said there is a problem with the "diode" in the Tx in some 10G's that prevent full charge and sent me an adapter which requires me to remove the batt from the Tx for charging. I plug the adapter onto the 10G charger and then plug the removed battery into the adapter. Little upset that I have to remove the battery to charge, but batt has been charging fully since I've been doing it this way.
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:12 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
I would have demanded they fix it on a $500 radio!
lucasavaitor is offline Find More Posts by lucasavaitor
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:11 AM
Flight n00b
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3NFO
Well, I had a problem with my 10G fully charging even when left on for 24 hours. Emailed Hobby People tech support and they said there is a problem with the "diode" in the Tx in some 10G's that prevent full charge and sent me an adapter which requires me to remove the batt from the Tx for charging. I plug the adapter onto the 10G charger and then plug the removed battery into the adapter. Little upset that I have to remove the battery to charge, but batt has been charging fully since I've been doing it this way.
2 Questions:
1) Now that your battery is properly cycled, could you try to charge through the TX?

2) Did you email Airtronics about it? They're helpful and I'm curious what they would say about it. I don't think it's a "diode" problem, because diodes for the most part only restrict an electric current's direction.

For my first charge, it's been plugged in now for about 18 hours and reading 8.24V (It's a 7.7V battery), so it looks like it's working splendidly for me.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
Joined May 2008
35 Posts
the best thing to do for the SD-10G battery is to use a charger similar to the Triton Jr. I charged mine at about .5 amps. after it was finished it was fully charged I used the radio as I would normally.

I then repeated this process about 4 times. then finally switched to the wall charger, I plug the transmitter up the night before I go to the field and just leave it on over night and when I unplug it, it is fully charged.

Ultimately the battery just needs a little break in time. and after that you are set.
polarrod49 is offline Find More Posts by polarrod49
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:18 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Jun 2004
344 Posts
I cycled my transmitter battery just as the manual described. Perfect ever since. I have owned every radio in the JR 10 series, and my Airtronics SD10G is the best I have ever owned.

What is surprising is the lack of any negative comments about the radio. There are no brown out isses, no heat issues, only 1 receiver to install, no range issues, etc.

The radio just works and the transmitter is a dream to program.

Isn't this what we want? I am very happy with the SD10G.

Travis
Pilot232 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot232
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:49 PM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
304 Posts
Quote:
2 Questions:
1) Now that your battery is properly cycled, could you try to charge through the TX?

2) Did you email Airtronics about it? They're helpful and I'm curious what they would say about it. I don't think it's a "diode" problem, because diodes for the most part only restrict an electric current's direction.

For my first charge, it's been plugged in now for about 18 hours and reading 8.24V (It's a 7.7V battery), so it looks like it's working splendidly for me.
1) I cycled/charged/tested charging through the Tx port extensively for over a month before I determined the problem was within the Tx charging "cycle". So pretty sure trying again is not going to show anything new, but will give it a shot one of these days when I'm setting up an airplane and need to charge. Not going to potentially restrict my weekend flying by trying it before a days flying.

2) Yes I did email Hobby People tech support. That's how they knew to send me the adapter. I also am skeptical that the problem is a diode, that's why diode was in quotes in my original post, but that's what Hobby People tech support told me.
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
Flight n00b
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2009
11 Posts
I made a bad assumption here, so I wanted to correct it so others don't fall into the same trap:

Fiction:
Quote:
Fact:
There's no way of knowing how full a metal hydride battery is by the voltage alone (unlike lithium batteries). In fact,
Quote:
a new NiMH battery has false peaks early in the charge cycle, and so the charger will terminate too soon.
This is consistent with my observations, as my battery will peak at about 8.3V and come back down to about 7.8V while charging fully.
I recommend the following site if you're interested in learning about metal-hydride batteries.
(source: http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm)

To pay for my sins, I threw together a quick spreadsheet to act as a guide for how long a fully discharged battery should stay plugged in given a certain amount of red-light charge time. For instance, my first charge gave me only half an hour of red-light charging. Therefore, going across the table, I should have kept it plugged in for 71.25 hours. Now, I wish I had done that because it is taking me forever to cycle my battery again after keeping it plugged in for only 24 hours.

Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
The fact is these radios are still being sold with this battery issue. I charged initially for 24 hours like the manual states, but I only get 11 minutes before the transmitter low voltage warning starts to beep. I just received this radio about a week ago and I think it's great looking, but have no idea if it's any good, because it won't keep a charge long enough to bind a receiver.
flyboyt is offline Find More Posts by flyboyt