HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,919 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Displaying RSSI with OSD Pro

Many of our customers have requested RSSI monitoring with the OSD Pro. Eagle Tree plans a new "Advanced FPV Expander" to make it easier to monitor RSSI, including on Spektrum and JR receivers with the FlightLog port, but it is possible to do this now, with a relatively small amount of "techie" work. This feature has been supported since early October, but has not been documented in one place - hence this thread.

Note: since this advanced feature requires modification of your existing Receiver, this information is provided for you to use at your own risk.

Configuring RSSI Display
For measuring RSSI with analog receivers, the first step is to locate the RSSI output of the receiver. There are several threads on RCGroups on how to do this. We recommend searching for the model number of the receiver + RSSI, to locate the pinout. We're also hoping that customers who set this up will post photos of their Rx setup in this thread.

It is recommended that a noise filter be added to the wire connecting to the RSSI input. One such noise filter is a small toroid with 10-15 turns of wire, added to the connection.

Note: if you are using the LRS long range receiver, please refer to the section on "Impedance issues" below.

The next step is to connect the RSSI output to the middle pin of the eLogger's "Temperature 1" input.

After connecting the RSSI output of the receiver to the eLogger's temperature 1 input, as shown, next make sure you are running Eagle Tree software version 7.98 or later. This software is located here:
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Late...beta/setup.exe

To enable RSSI display, follow these steps:

a) run the "OSD Pro Configuration" page under "Hardware" menu item of our software, and select the "Temperature 1" parameter for display, at the screen lcoation you prefer. If desired, the on-screen display name of the parameter could be changed to "RSI" or "Sig" to indicate that the parameter is for RSSI.
b) In the OSD Pro on-screen menus, under the "Sensors and Units" menu, set "Use Temp1 Input for RSSI" to "Yes".
c) With the Rx RSSI output connected to the eLogger, run the "Safety Mode Wizard." While you run the wizard, you will be prompted to turn off and turn on your transmitter. When you do this, the OSD Pro notices the minimum and maximum RSSI levels, and calibrates these to 0% RSSI and 100% RSSI, respectively.
d) If desired, there's a menu option under "Sensors and Units" menu to let you recalibrate the minimum RSSI reading (0% reading). For those who want the minimum RSSI to represent the point just before failsafe starts to occur, rather than the point when the transmitter is turned off, you can calibrate the minimum using this option. A good time to do this is during your antenna-down range test, just before the servos start to twitch.

Impedence Issues

The input impedence of the Temperature 1 input is approximately 5K Ohm. Some receivers, such as the LRS long range receiver, require higher impedence to correctly report RSSI. The symptom of this issue is random or otherwise incorrect display of RSSI after following the above steps.

If you want to use RSSI with LRS or other receivers that require higher impedance, there are presently two options:

a) The best option is to use a high impedance input buffer can be placed between the receiver's RSSI output, and the eLogger's Temperature 1 input. Such a buffer is available at http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16500.

b) For those with advanced soldering skills, the eLogger's temperature 1 input impedance can be increased by removing the resistor labeled "R8," which is located on the bottom of the eLogger's PCB board, and is installed on the PC board between the middle pin of temp 1 and the middle pin of the RPM sensor.
Removing this resistor requires snipping the bottom of the heatshrink on the eLogger. But, removing R8 renders the Temperature 1 reading unusable for temperature measurements. It's recommended that you retain the resistor for later replacement. Update: there have been reports that even this modification does not sufficiently lower the impedence for the LRS system, so the buffer above is recommended for the LRS.

Range Check

As always, a pre-flight "Antenna Down" range check is critical after modifying your equipment.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Nov 20, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,939 Posts
Thanks Bill, I've got a Scherrer LRS on the way, so i guess I'll need the buffer. Do you possibly have a time line and or company that is working on one?

Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:08 AM
Eppstein / Germany
Joined Jul 2009
9 Posts
Hm, my Spectrum AR7000 receiver will not work on demand. The Temp A show me 53.4 everytime. Your calibration routine described above change nothing.
Any idea?
Heling is offline Find More Posts by Heling
Old Oct 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I'm not sure you can do this with an AR7000. Bill says "including on Spektrum and JR receivers with the FlightLog port". Can an AR7000 support data logging?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:26 PM
Eppstein / Germany
Joined Jul 2009
9 Posts
Yes, the new generation of AR7000 with the DATA/Batt.-label can do this. I've a small flight log reader with LCD-screen for this port. It show me antenna fades on both receivers, frame loss and holds. May be it works digital only. I don't know wich kind of signals are needed for the Temp A.
Heling is offline Find More Posts by Heling
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
372 Posts
i have an ar 7000, but had no luck, even after doing the fail safe wizard, any ideas?
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Last edited by AeroM'ck'y; Nov 08, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 02:09 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,919 Posts
AeroM'ck'y, to make sure you're aware, the feature above only measures analog RSSI. You would need to find the analog RSSI pin inside the AR7000, and connect that to the OSD Pro, as described above.

To use the digital RSSI port on the AR7000, here are the insructions:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Supp...s/spektrum.pdf

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
372 Posts
fantastic thanks, will try
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,919 Posts
All, DPCAV is now offering a nice buffer to make it easy to connect your LRS or similar RSSI output to your OSD Pro, without needing to remove "R8" resistor. Here's the info:

www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16500

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:45 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
All, DPCAV is now offering a nice buffer to make it easy to connect your LRS or similar RSSI output to your OSD Pro, without needing to remove "R8" resistor. Here's the info:

www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16500

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Good bill, i have buy this buffer.

The I'll try on the Futaba R617FS 2.4ghz.

DPCAV as fastest to send the order
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Last edited by Neo360; Nov 03, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
Neo360- have you tried this buffer on the R617FS yet?
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose2 View Post
Neo360- have you tried this buffer on the R617FS yet?
The buffer arrive tomorrow.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
790 Posts
Seems to work discreetly.

You what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpJnkIGpzg8
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
I think I need to order one- thanks for posting this. I will be using with an R608FS.
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
790 Posts
Thanks, i have connect to INPUT 1, in INPUT 2 works incorectly.