HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Punkie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
608 Posts
Build Log
Liddlebug

I flew my Minium Cessna loads. It got me flying again when all the other things were just too much trouble.
Unfortunately it got a case dropped on it in the car. Joys of taking daughters back to Uni. The fuse was messed up & the RX was damaged so I got a new fuse and RX assy and rebuilt it, got it wrong and it flew like a pig trying to claw its way into the air.
So I got the Christen Eagle without a TX and used the old Cessna one to fly it, great, brilliant plane.
But that new RX and motor sitting in a useless airframe was annoying me. I started thinking about what I wanted from it.
I have access to a small field next to a pub, on the banks of the river Cam. Its about 2 minutes walk from where I live on my narrow boat. People walk through it, moor by it and can see it from the patio at the back of the pub, So slow, floaty, good handling and nice looking where the order of the day.
I found what I was looking for at the Micron stand at one of the shows this year.
The Stevens Aeromodels Liddlebug, they have retooled it to take the RX assy and motor from the Parkzone vapour and similar models.
I was able to build it at lunchtimes at work on my desk, being in the aircraft trade it was noticed by plenty of people including my manager and the lightness of the assemblies was noted from the start.
I must say it went together a treat, the laser cutting was superb, it was difficult to get any of the build wrong, all I managed was one wing rib being glued a mm off to one side as my finger moved assembling a wing panel.
I covered the flying surfaces with linen coloured litespan to give a vintage look to an already vintage looking airframe.
The only mod was the motor mount, the Cessna motor assy is beam mounted and the vapour is rod mounted. I simply doubled up a piece of scrap balsa from the kit, cut a couple of rectangles from that & glued them to the motor cowl cheeks.
The test flight went OK, but it seemed to claw for the sky and had insufficient power to ROG.
After a bit of discussion with a friend who builds models like they are going out of fashion, I cut down the down thrust and fitted a prop from a vapour, this has a bigger diameter but a lower pitch, I gave the blades a quick twist to increase the pitch, not exactly scientific but it worked.
The next test flight she took off from the ground perfectly. I could throttle back into a cruise and she sat ok. The handling was perfect, good response to the controls but stable enough for hands off cruising. Plus she looked really pretty.
Love it, canít wait for the spring and some warm summer evenings to fly her by the pub. In the meantime I will fly her indoors.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Ah yes, the Liddle Bug. The finest sub ounce aircraft I've ever owned. I flew mine with a JMP, a pair of Bob Selman actuators, Kenway M20A LV, and a single 130mah Lipo. It flew great indoors and out. And with that power system flights were long, and it out climbed the Diddle Bug outfitted with a stock brushed power system.

Very cool airplane, looks like quality work. You'll have many hours of fun with it!
Joshua Wesley is online now Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
608 Posts
I am well pleased with it. Its been flown indoors only as the weather has turned rubbish.
I was surprised when I weighed it to find it weighed 26.2 grams, pretty much in the middle of the stated range of 24 - 28 grams.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:48 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,395 Posts
Looks great - I haven't seen one converted with the Cessna gear. I found that ours flew best with the Vapor gearbox. At our altitude 6500' we twist a bit of pitch in that big flat vapor prop as well with very satisfying results. Glad you are enjoying it. We have been encouraged by the acceptance of the re-tooled liddlebug and have given serious consideration to offering the larger diddlerod in a similar reduced format liddlerod?

-Bill

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2005
608 Posts
Flew it at the Ramsey model flying clubs indoor session on wednesday, rather small hall, but coped really well.
That is until a night vapor took me out. No damage so no harm done.