SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Question
What's your favorite motor oil and why?

Now this subject would be considered trolling over on my Honda Pacific Coast group. Stronger oil opinions there than politics are here. Over there you ask who they are voting for and their answer would be who ever sells XXX brand of motor oil the cheapest.
I'll toss out the first Skud missile. I use Castrol in just about everthing I own. Woosie weight 5w20 in one car, 10w40 in the outboard and mowers/splitters etc and 5w50 in the bike. Why? Who knows. Never had a breakdown yet. I started using the Castrol Syntech because I can change the MC oil in the fall and run it for 12 months. Regular 10w40 would last 3,000 miles and I'd feel the shifter getting harder when in traffic. The Syntech will go all year. ( 8K this summer )
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:57 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Mobile One is specified for my Vette, so I run Mobile One in the Vette.

Amsoil is highly regarded but I've never used it.

I have been running Honda 0w-20 in my Hybrid but Mobile One was one sale so next oil change will be with Mobile One.

Dad always used Quaker State.

My truck gets whatever the oil change place has (Pennzoil I think).
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:12 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
797 Posts
i tried Amsoil years ago and didn't like it much...then went to mobile one with a new vehicle after a while I setteled on Castrol synthetic and have stuck with it..........

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
797 Posts
i tried Amsoil years ago and didn't like it much...then went to mobile one with a new vehicle after a while I settled on Castrol synthetic and have stuck with it..........

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:20 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I once paid over $7.00 a qt for Mobil MX4T for motorcycles. The first trip my cruise kept kicking off on hills. I found the clutch was slipping and called Mobil. They said it was because I'd been using Castrol before. NOT. MX4T out and Castrol back in and no problems since. That was 25K ago. I drained the oil today and found nothing noticable on the magnet. I quit cutting open filters 2 years ago because all I managed to do was make a mess.
One Lancia Beta Coupe I owned made it to 173K before I sold it. Castrol since new. At 120K a head gasket was replaced and I mic'd the valve stems to guides and found them all at factory specs. Not serviceable limits, factory specs. The hone marks were still in the cylinder bores too.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:43 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I do believe the BMW synthetic is Castrol. Since I cant even get my floor jack under my Z4, I let the dealership do it. For me, it's an annual thing since I don't drive it much.

Not sure who makes the Harley synthetic but that's what my bike will be getting next tues whent hey do the dyno work.

My truck gets Quaker State, that I can change myself
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I've used Castrol GTX for years and Kendall GT back on the 1960's. On the '73 BMW motorcycle I started using Golden Spectro 4 about 10 years ago because it has a zinc additive package that was removed from the current "SE" grade of oil. Needed to prevent lifter and camshaft galling on the old-metallurgy engines.

Otherwise, no tall tales...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:17 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Years ago I met the scientists that invented Mobil 1, I liked them, so I only use Mobil 1.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
I've used Castrol GTX for years and Kendall GT back on the 1960's. On the '73 BMW motorcycle I started using Golden Spectro 4 about 10 years ago because it has a zinc additive package that was removed from the current "SE" grade of oil. Needed to prevent lifter and camshaft galling on the old-metallurgy engines.

Otherwise, no tall tales...

--Bill
I think Lucas make a Zinc Additive for that very reason so you can use other oils. I have a friend with quite a few old bikes including a Sunbeam that requires a LOT of "attention" like that.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I had a roommate once with a hopped up street bike, bored out etc. Anything but Valvoline would exit almost as fast as it went in. Not kidding. So I started asking the old time hot rodders, a couple of them are day job mechanics and they only use Valvoline. The had some pretty good reasons that I have forgotten by now. But it has been Valvoline for years. I use dello 15w40 or valvoline 15w40 in my diesel, depends which is cheaper.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:53 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Precisely, although it's not so much old metallurgy as old design with flat tappets running against the cam lobes. The zinc additive is ZDDP (zinc-dialkyl-dithiophosphate) which has been removed from most modern oils because it coats the platinum used in catalytic converters. Oils intended for diesels still have ZDDP because so far they don't have catalytic converters and it's required to reduce wear on the gudgeon pins. Castrol have Syntec labelled "For Classic Cars" with ZDDP. There are other oils with ZDDP and if the label doesn't say it meets API standards then it's likely to have ZDDP.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:39 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I use quaker state, but actualy, most oils all come from the same place.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Always ran Castrol 20w50 in my air cooled Vee Dubs and now use Castrol Tection 15w40 in my VW Diesel Pick up.
We use Mobile 1 5w30 in the 05 Corolla.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:56 AM
evening flyer
Germany
Joined Mar 2008
35 Posts
Last time i visited "my car guy", he told me not to use 15W40 in midsize to upper class cars (supercharged diesels). The rule was: 10W40 or less (like 5W40) for a 2.0L TDI engine. 10W40 seems to be the best fit.
checkup is offline Find More Posts by checkup
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:48 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
I use quaker state, but actualy, most oils all come from the same place.
Funny, I always bought Quaker State, I think because my dad did, and seems he said he was told the Pennsylvania crude oils were better for motor oil. But like you say, I bet they come from just about anywhere now.

I walked behind the Honda dealer when I was getting my oil changed, they had a 5500 gallon tank of Phillips 66 Trop-arctic 5W-20 out back. So that is what I am running now. I was trying to rough estimate the volume of the tank, when I noticed the 5500 gallon stamping on the end of it.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop