Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:57 PM
just Sigve
Norway
Joined Oct 2004
46 Posts
Discussion
Big Lama blades upgrade

Hi

I have noticed some discussion around different forums on the blades on the Big lama, but it seams there are a lot of different opinions and meanings out there.
what i don't understand:

Why upgrade?

A. Is it because they break easily?
B. Is it because they are to small?
C. Is it because they are not stiff enough and therefor make bladestrikes more common?
D. Can you get better flying characteristics with better blades?
E. more than one of the above

Which blades are any good and fit the big lama, and what are they good for?

AIRY hardened blades
These blades are more crash resistant, but are they any stiffer(to prevent bladestike)?
How about size, they come in different sizes which is better for BIG lama?

Walkera 53#1
Whats up whit these blades, se them mentioned many places?
what is the difference to the stock ones?

Walkera 53
These are a bit wider, right?
Stiffer?
can the stock motors handle the bigger blades?

others?

I am mostly interested in preventing bladestrike, Don't normaly crash much, so which blades would be best?

Cheers

Sigve
sigve is offline Find More Posts by sigve
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:32 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigve
Hi

I have noticed some discussion around different forums on the blades on the Big lama, but it seams there are a lot of different opinions and meanings out there.
what i don't understand:

Why upgrade?

C. Is it because they are not stiff enough and therefor make bladestrikes more common?

AIRY hardened blades
These blades are more crash resistant, but are they any stiffer(to prevent bladestike)?
How about size, they come in different sizes which is better for BIG lama?

Walkera 53#1
Whats up whit these blades, se them mentioned many places?
what is the difference to the stock ones?

Walkera 53
These are a bit wider, right?
Stiffer?
can the stock motors handle the bigger blades?

others?

I am mostly interested in preventing bladestrike, Don't normaly crash much, so which blades would be best?

Cheers

Sigve
Hi Sigve,

to answer your A-E question, it is more than one of the points A to E. I also heard a lot of different opinions. One suggestion I made a while ago in the German forum I take part in (and also carried over to the rcuniverse) was to use Lama400 blades cut to size if you want or even leave them the way they are.
Reason: those are one of the stiffest blades you can find. Preventing blade strike is still best done by increasing the distance between the rotor planes which means either taking the Xtreme aluminum rotor head (which will increase the distance by 15mm based on the design of the head) or you install an extended shaft (many posibilities how to do that)
There is also another blade that I did not test myself yet (but some people on the german forum did and speak well of it) which is called Viper 450 from Phase II. It is carbon fiber reinforced - so the only way to get even harder blades would be getting "true" CF blades.
German forum recommendation: Outside Viper 450 and inside 3Dpro ... anyway thats what I read there, but I did not try and can not speak from personal experience.

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
479 Posts
[QUOTE=sigve]Hi

what i don't understand:

Why upgrade?

Yes, they break into many pieces if they touch anything.

No, size is ok.

Yes, definately too limp. Had to put packing tape with string along the underside to help reduce flex. What a mess.

Yes, especially if you consider "not crashing" to be a good flying characteristic.

Yes

Sven has been very active in another forum on this subject that I have followed, and he knows what he is talking about. After trying most, I declare the hands down winner in my opinion to be the Walkera 400D blades. I used strong scissors to trim a little from each end to match the stock size, and put a small washer into the blade holder along with the blade as a spacer to fill the gap. Fly great with very little coning/flex. Even without extended inner shaft it has very much reduced blade strike. I did crash recently and tips of blade are damaged, but seem not as fragil as stock.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber