HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Ya, I know it's discontinued. That's the main reason I bought one. But yes, subbing to this thread is probably not going to bring much "action", lol. there is a place online selling the RTF version for $199!!! Crazy.
lol I think when they first came out they were 149 or 159. I bought it on day 1. Sadly mine is gone already, torn down and used for parts for other things, but congrats, you will enjoy it, I just hope you got a good one.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:31 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,181 Posts
I picked up a used one on the classified area which had a lot of good stuff. Enjoy the bird, it flys good once you get it trimed out.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:38 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Great, thanks guys
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:29 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
LOL, just because this thread is quiet for most of the time doesn't mean that the folks who own and love this little heli don't still visit when a new post shows up!!! Hi and welcome to the club! I bought mine when I bought my MCX2 back in January this year. These were my first upgrades from the Syma S107G, the heli that got me started in the first place. I don't get my tandems out very often but I do try to fly them at least once a month. I've been enjoying my FP fleet. Of course, my first Nano arrives at my house tomorrow...

If you get a chance, check out the little grappling hook accessory here;

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Heli_...0_p/bth012.htm

This accessory is amazingly challenging to learn to use and loads of fun! Of course, you could probably get by with fabricating your own hooks and targets out of paper clips, but this looks a lot nicer. LOL

Let us know how it goes when you get it! You might need a little tuneup and/or repair so we'll be here to help if that's the case.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:40 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

If you get a chance, check out the little grappling hook accessory here;

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Heli_...0_p/bth012.htm

This accessory is amazingly challenging to learn to use and loads of fun! Of course, you could probably get by with fabricating your own hooks and targets out of paper clips, but this looks a lot nicer. LOL

V911 challenge #3 Heli Grapple (3 min 7 sec)

(sorry, kind of a thread hi-jack here ... but robo started it ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:51 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Hey, looks like fun. I'll pick one of those up when I order my upgrade parts. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing with my MCX2.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Ha! See how much fun that is? It would be even more fun if you were doing it with a Tandem, but I'll let it slide...this time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:07 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Ha! See how much fun that is? It would be even more fun if you were doing it with a Tandem, but I'll let it slide...this time.
Do you really insist?? I would have to break out the never used collectors item tandem that was that for my museum ...
(so I guess "thanks for lettn it slide ..." )
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:14 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I have had my Tandem almost a year now and I love it for one exception... Almost every time I fly it I have to spool it and land it again and then remove and reinstall battery. If I do not do this it tends to rotate on the rudder axis to the right. Needing almost full left stick to maintain orientation. But... land it and reinstall battery and it flys like a champ. Just wondering if anyone else is privileged with this quirk or I am just lucky that way
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I have had my Tandem almost a year now and I love it for one exception... Almost every time I fly it I have to spool it and land it again and then remove and reinstall battery. If I do not do this it tends to rotate on the rudder axis to the right. Needing almost full left stick to maintain orientation. But... land it and reinstall battery and it flys like a champ. Just wondering if anyone else is privileged with this quirk or I am just lucky that way
Hi. I have the same problem. Easy to apply the fix though... My drift isn't bad though. It is just too much drift to fix with trim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:04 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I feel much better about it knowing I am not the only one
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Yeah, it's weird. It's like the gyro has to "warm up" or something after a cold boot before it can properly reset itself.

I once had a crash near an air conditioning vent which caused my rear set of blades to spool up to maximum regardless of my stick position. Fortunately a quick power cycle of the 3-in-1 fixed that as well.

Maybe this little controller is just sensitive to getting itself into weird states?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:25 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I got mine today. Bought from Ebay. Very happy with it, came in original box w/manual, spare parts, battery and everything that it came with new. Fly's great. I love having this in my (rapidly growing) heli collection. I have 3 now, and soon will be getting an MSRx too.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:34 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,181 Posts
I really like my mSRX, but it is a lot more advance then the co-ax helicopters and took me a few weeks to get some control of it with out crash landing every time!
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
I found the MSR to be a great step up from the MCX2 as well. It's only good in near-zero wind conditions outdoors but it's much more stable and controllable than the MSRX indoors. The MSRX wants to fly outdoors anyway where you can really open it up.

The Tandem, on the other hand, (ahem, let's not forget where we are folks...lol!) is such a cool heli to fly around. I really enjoy the "scale" feel of it and try to take off and land as smoothly as possible. Try doing a nice slow forward-moving descent to a landing without sliding to the side in your own backwash. It's a lot harder than it sounds!!! Plus, it's got its own challenges when doing FFF. You really have to watch that big tail section as it whips around.
RCG Plus Member