HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Hi

Does anyone have good settings for this Tandem for the DX6i? I've been doing some Googling and of course ended up right back at RCG. I saw the blurb about the Dx7/Dx8 settings but then saw the warning about how these should not be used in a DX6i.

The other thing that I've found is this thread here at RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504277

which talks about settings for an mCX2 but then has a footnote down in post #3 talking about how to adjust them for the Tandem.

There seems to be lots of things to experiment with. I think it would be nice if someone had decent settings for their tandem that they could share though as it seems like it would be a good starting place as I customize them to my own Tandem.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:03 PM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
603 Posts
Tandem & Dx6i

Robo, try these:

Dual rates and exponential:

Ail 1 75% -15
2 100 -25

Elev 1 95% -20
2 100% -25

Rud 1 80% -45
2 100% -35

Throttle Curve
0 23 55 70 90

This is a fun heli to fly, but you have to do some unorthodox moves with your sticks to get it to turn properly both ways.

Good luck!

Dick
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Thanks, Dick Adams!

I'll try that out soon and let you know how it goes. I really like flying it and the kids love it when I call it the "Flying Banana".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Hmm... I was having some serious problems with the tendency of the heli to yaw continuously to one side last night. I had been able to fix the problem before by flexing/twisting the frame like was described in a youtube video (I think in this thread) but that didn't seem to be helping at all last night--or at least not for that long.

My final solution that seemed to work long enough for me to get a full battery flight out of it was to set my RUDD SUB-TRIM option in my DX6i to 5 to effectively compensate for the fact that I'd have to give it constant rudder to keep it straight. So--some combination of body flexing and tweaking of this parameter is something I'm going to have to watch out for whenever I fly this guy.

EDIT : This is all crap. See my post below for what actually works.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Feb 01, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Sorry to be the only voice in this thread but...

I'm now of the opinion that the RUDD SUB-TRIM thing I was doing is completely and utterly useless. In fact, I think that the only reason my Tandem sometimes does this continual yaw if I don't actively use the stick to correct it is due to a bad gyro initialization. After my posting above, I tried flying again and found that no twisting or DX6i rudder tweaking would fix my problem.

Do you know what seemed to be the only thing that would work?

Pull the battery and reboot the helicopter.

I was flying circles around my dining room ceiling last night with the nose pointed straight towards the same wall all the time. No twisting/torquing of the frame required. All rudder settings were stock/center.

I feel bad for twisting my poor heli like I was ringing out a washcloth. I'm just glad I came to my senses before I actually broke something.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Feb 01, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:08 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
I just wish these things had better forward motion.
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer View Post
I just wish these things had better forward motion.
Yep. thats why mine ended up as parts for my mcx. Well, that and a few other things but it has been a great parts store for my mcx when things get busted hehe.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
I picked one of these up in the classified section here a couple of months ago, and am just finding time to fly it.

Certainly different than its cousins I have about 5 flights on it and am enjoying the fact that it seems to have very unique flight characteristics.

I need to go back and read the thread now I think. But does anyone have a source for inexpensive additional batteries. I'm a bit spoiled picking up the cheap Turnigys for my mSR and mcx2
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:22 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
Hobby king had some that would fit it. I am sure there are others that might have them to. just search for the mah rating and you should find some alternatives
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:06 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Thanks. I'll be poking around on HobbyKing tomorrow.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:49 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,413 Posts
Got my old Tandem fixed up with a recent purchase! Just had a great time flying around the living room, I've been flying my mSRX a bunch lately but this bird is just a fun ship. FYI, I bumped my controls max to 125% on my DX6i and that really seemed to give it a bunch more forward and spin control. My batteries are shot, wish there were something better then eflight for this heli.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Jan 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Got my old Tandem fixed up with a recent purchase! Just had a great time flying around the living room, I've been flying my mSRX a bunch lately but this bird is just a fun ship. FYI, I bumped my controls max to 125% on my DX6i and that really seemed to give it a bunch more forward and spin control. My batteries are shot, wish there were something better then eflight for this heli.
Iíve seen a 2 pack Lectron Pro 270 mAh for the Tandem Rescue on Amazon but I have no idea how good they might be. I would expect some longer flight times.
Ronon is offline Find More Posts by Ronon
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I purchased 350mah bare cells from HK and painfully soldered on connectors carefully cut from the dead eflight batteries. Because they're heavier, longer I took the heli apart and moved the circut board as far forward as it could go (about 5mm), and also slide the brace forward. I now fly for 6-7 minutes and these batteries have double the cycles I was getting from the e-flights and are still going strong.

Maybe give these a try when they come in stock.
http://www.xheli.com/77p-minilipo-250mah-15c-1s1p.html
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Jan 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,413 Posts
Good ideas, I did find some eflight 250s for $3 each, added in some parts to get the $5.95 shipping spread out over a few items and it was pretty good. I see Hyperion has some 250mAh/25c for only $4.95, so I'll check with my LHS to see if they have some they will match the price with.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
I'm still enjoying my Tandem. The lights are great and I love zipping it around my studio.

I haven't tried it yet, but I assume that setting the throws on a DX6i for the elevator and rudder to +125% shouldn't hurt anything since they don't actually use the servos to control the motion. Has that been people's experience as well?
RCG Plus Member