HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:05 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
It did not register when I read John's link there were two shafts supplied, so yes my equation is out .

I also agree that the manufacture of aluminium parts is more expensive than the equivalent plastic parts, I'm not complaining about the price of aluminium parts. I have an extended inner shaft fitted to one of my Lama V4's, to help eliminate blade strikes, which has an aluminium head.

The point I am trying to get over to John is the forces caused in a crash may dissipate by either breaking or bending something and as this young man is only on his first helicopter I was trying to point out he may be better off buying the plastic parts till his skill level improves.

Personally I only fit metal parts if they improve the performance of the heli not just because it makes it look nice - that is my outlook and my outlook only . How people spend their money is totally up to them.
Despite being a sucker for aluminum bling I have to agree with you in the points you are making ... the reasonable solution still is to heed your advice ...
but many people forget the big picture while the talk down aluminum bling because of the price (nice to see you don't ...) - and that was the big reason for me to join the conversation to be honest.

Otherwise I would say, there is no better way to say "it ALL" than your very last statement ... (just if some people just would not constantly try to convince ohters the way they do it is the best ... and that is NOT referring to you specifically, but to a certain type of people into which I ran too many times in my several years on various forums ...!! )

E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:32 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Despite being a sucker for aluminum bling I have to agree with you in the points you are making ... the reasonable solution still is to heed your advice ...
but many people forget the big picture while the talk down aluminum bling because of the price (nice to see you don't ...) - and that was the big reason for me to join the conversation to be honest.

Otherwise I would say, there is no better way to say "it ALL" than your very last statement ... (just if some people just would not constantly try to convince ohters the way they do it is the best ... and that is NOT referring to you specifically, but to a certain type of people into which I ran too many times in my several years on various forums ...!! )

E2
I try to always see both sides of an argument and only ever offer advice or a pointer to where they may find a solution to their problem. To stand up and say "this is the way it should be done" is not a wise course as in most things in life there is usually more than one way to achieve the same outcome.

I know those people you write about and rarely respond to their blinkered views.

I have no doubt we shall hear from John soon which ever way he goes, the main thing is he keeps enjoying his flying - avoiding his brother and cousin
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
Just to add my own 2 cents or 35 dollars into the discussion, I never buy aluminum parts. They look great but carry a heavy dose of extra weight - especially so in combination. The manufacturers of these helicopters have tested and tested their products to the limit in order to achieve optimal weight/performance. The first thing one should do is to decrease weight rather than increase weight if anything. Extra weight means harder crashes, and heavier strain on the motors as well
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
I try to always see both sides of an argument and only ever offer advice or a pointer to where they may find a solution to their problem. To stand up and say "this is the way it should be done" is not a wise course as in most things in life there is usually more than one way to achieve the same outcome.

I know those people you write about and rarely respond to their blinkered views.

I have no doubt we shall hear from John soon which ever way he goes, the main thing is he keeps enjoying his flying - avoiding his brother and cousin
Hey!
I guess I agree on you with your equasion, and for `brandn 14` I was thinking the same. I guess it was only one of my first few flight, so the cause of the fracture was inexperience. Anyway, Guess what╔╔
Horizon Hobbies is shipping me FREE 2 new inner shafts! With priority mail
That should solve things. As far as my deformed body is concerned, (wow i sound retarded right there), I don`t care. I have a toy that flies, and the canadian Labrador markins is a big bonus! My bottle of glue is half full, not half empty I just can`t wait till the iner shaft comes in so I can bring it to Royal Canadian Air Cadets and show off a little:P

Anywayssss,,,

Thannks for your help, wishes, and responses,,

--John
DJ_MR
jimmer109 is offline Find More Posts by jimmer109
Old Nov 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
[QUOTE=jimmer109;16692638]
Guess what╔╔ Horizon Hobbies is shipping me FREE 2 new inner shafts! With priority mail That should solve things.
Well done, that is an excellent result - now about my commision

As far as my deformed body is concerned, (wow i sound retarded right there)
Yes you do, but it's the person inside that's important not his deformed body

My bottle of glue is half full, not half empty I just can`t wait till the iner shaft comes in so I can bring it to Royal Canadian Air Cadets and show off a little:P
Well I hope the RCAC don't take you to task over your deformed body!!!!!!

Thannks for your help, wishes, and responses,,
You are very welcome and keep us informed of your progress once in a while, a video would be great ????????
Fly high and safe - John
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Hey!
I have recieved, and successfully installed my two new inner shafts. Hole , there are some tight places to reach with that screwdriver I woll try to upload a video with my webcam after the battery charges.

Kapish?

--JM

DJ_MR
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
All fixed up- Here is my flight video, and review.

--JM

DJ_MR
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
grr, video is too big.... Ill make a shorter one tomo

--JOhn

DJ_MR
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:53 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer109 View Post
grr, video is too big.... Ill make a shorter one tomo

--JOhn

DJ_MR
Great news about you getting your tandem fixed, that's something new you have learned how to do today, it's always a good day when you learn something new .

Shame about your video being too big but we all can learn from experience

I am looking forward to tomorrow for the premier of your latest epic and will make sure I have enough supplies for the screening

Till tomorrow - John
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:01 AM
Joined Jan 2004
356 Posts
Well, I bought a BNF tandem today. I was just stopping in the LHS for a couple of batteries for my MCX, but I had Christmas money, so it came home with me. I have two flights on it, and it has such a bad nose down problem that full aft trim won't correct it. I tried both my DX6i and the standard E-flight transmitter, and neither correct the problem. I looked for rubbing of the gears on the body as someone suggested in an earlier post, but nothing there. I've read all the posts in this thread, but can't find where anyone has addressed this. I don't want to ad weight in the back and lose flight time. Has anyone had this problem and corrected it?

Thanks.
gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:10 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinout View Post
Well, I bought a BNF tandem today. I was just stopping in the LHS for a couple of batteries for my MCX, but I had Christmas money, so it came home with me. I have two flights on it, and it has such a bad nose down problem that full aft trim won't correct it. I tried both my DX6i and the standard E-flight transmitter, and neither correct the problem. I looked for rubbing of the gears on the body as someone suggested in an earlier post, but nothing there. I've read all the posts in this thread, but can't find where anyone has addressed this. I don't want to ad weight in the back and lose flight time. Has anyone had this problem and corrected it?

Thanks.
Since its a DX6i, have you messed with the elevator subtrims/travel extents? You may be able to move the centerpoint and travel range to get it to fly right.

If not, I would return it to the LHS for an exchange.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:38 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I fly my Tandem with a DX6i and don't have any problems with it. The setting on the DX6i are set to Aero as instructed to do in this video.
HorizonRC.com Preview - E-flite mCX Tandem Rescue (10 min 1 sec)

Move on to 7mins 30 secs where they talk about the DX6i set up and binding

I bought it RTF version second hand, took it out of the box, charged the battery, bound it to the DX6i and up it went. After I had put a couple of batteries through it I set the trim up so it will hover hands free.

I am really sorry you are having problems as it is a great looking heli in the air.

I hope the You Tube video helps out

Quote:

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2004
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Since its a DX6i, have you messed with the elevator subtrims/travel extents? You may be able to move the centerpoint and travel range to get it to fly right.

If not, I would return it to the LHS for an exchange.
I went back to the LHS this afternoon. They only had one other tandem in the store, which the shop owner took out of the box and did a test flight with. That one had the same problem. He then said, "That's the way they are designed, to go in forward flight all the time." I told him that couldn't be right, so he said I needed to call the manufacturer.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2004
356 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll try and set the DX6i so the tandem flys hands off. I just was hoping not to have to go to extremes on the travel adjustments.

Mark

Quote:
I fly my Tandem with a DX6i and don't have any problems with it. The setting on the DX6i are set to Aero as instructed to do in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puu3gqZtghA
Move on to 7mins 30 secs where they talk about the DX6i set up and binding

I bought it RTF version second hand, took it out of the box, charged the battery, bound it to the DX6i and up it went. After I had put a couple of batteries through it I set the trim up so it will hover hands free.

I am really sorry you are having problems as it is a great looking heli in the air.

I hope the You Tube video helps out
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:05 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
I went back to the LHS this afternoon. They only had one other tandem in the store, which the shop owner took out of the box and did a test flight with. That one had the same problem. He then said, "That's the way they are designed, to go in forward flight all the time." I told him that couldn't be right, so he said I needed to call the manufacturer.
That should be your last visit to that lhs. And people wonder why these shops go out of business.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay