HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:01 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer109 View Post
Hi!

I'm new to RC-Groups, but joined specifically to participate in this thread. Anyways, I orderd my Tandem Rescue from Great Hobbies.

I WANT TO CLAIRIFy SOMETHING. This aircraft is NOT called the Chinook, but In Canada, it's the Labrador. The Chinook is american, and is slightly amphibious. SAR (Search and Rescue) used this chopper until this decade, when they switched to the Cormorad (Sorry for spelling), which has a main, and tail rotor with a similar paint scheme. For this model, the paint scheme is similar to the actual thing, but the guard like "boxes" that stick out above the rear wheels are supposed to be red. Yes, I'm a canadian.

Anyways, what should I know before using this aircraft?

Thanks, John
(13 years old, as this will be my first R/C Aircraft.)
Hi John,
I have been flying my Rescue Tandem for a few months now and it is a great helicopter to fly. It is very quiet and the lights on it look good.
Since it's your first rc helicopter, I presume you know it's four channel?
When I get a new helicopter I always read through the instruction book while the battery is charging.
Once it's charged, always switch the transmitter on first, then insert the battery and quickly place the helicopter on a flat level surface till it binds with the transmitter. You may have to go through the binding process first, this is all explained in the instructions but here is a You Tube video that explain more about the Tandem than my words will.
It is a very nice helicopter to fly and I feel sure you will have a brilliant time learning how to fly it.

Fly high and safe
John
(58 years old, this is one of my many rc helicopters )

HorizonRC.com Preview - E-flite mCX Tandem Rescue (10 min 1 sec)
scotsoft is online now Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
Binding Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
I know these posts are older, but I just got my Tandem and the problems listed here are exactly what I'm having. I wonder if Horizon ever update the gyro in these things? It sure seems to lose it's heading easy and starts drifting.

Rpb
After reading through so many of the comments, I've come down with a final thought for this tandem rescue........ the problems cannot be solved 100%.

When I first bought it, it only wanted to fly forward.

Throughout my three weeks with it, the trip settings constantly change. It takes a long time to react to a new trim, about a 4-5 second delay.

Now, it only wants to fly backwards instead of forwards.

Every post I've read has people saying the exact same things as me or worst. Some people state it's only going in circles for example. It will change, I don't know how but this tandem will adjust itself somehow when it wants to.

I'm disappointed with the flight characteristics as I initially thought it was the best tandem out there, but having said that......I find it too hard to depart with it because I like it so much, even though she doesn't really listen to my trim settings and continually backs herself up into oblivion
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi John,
I have been flying my Rescue Tandem for a few months now and it is a great helicopter to fly. It is very quiet and the lights on it look good.
Since it's your first rc helicopter, I presume you know it's four channel?
When I get a new helicopter I always read through the instruction book while the battery is charging.
Once it's charged, always switch the transmitter on first, then insert the battery and quickly place the helicopter on a flat level surface till it binds with the transmitter. You may have to go through the binding process first, this is all explained in the instructions but here is a You Tube video that explain more about the Tandem than my words will.
It is a very nice helicopter to fly and I feel sure you will have a brilliant time learning how to fly it.

Fly high and safe
John
(58 years old, this is one of my many rc helicopters )

HorizonRC.com Preview - E-flite mCX Tandem Rescue (10 min 1 sec)

Thaaanks!

They still havn't shipped it to me yet.. Anyways, I've watched that video a hundred times already, but thanks for your help and efforts. Will post after first flight!!
jimmer109 is offline Find More Posts by jimmer109
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:58 PM
Official Boat Bum
Eddie P's Avatar
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,485 Posts
Hi everyone, if I may ask a favor:

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread. I bought one of these last year and really loved it. After about a month of playing wiht it I thought it might be the perfect model/heli to give to some good friends/neighbors who have a 10 year old son. He's loved it and only has recently really started to enjoy it as he's had a busy life with sports/school/etc. Anyhow, the heli has stopped working. I bought them 2 new batteries, and they are good batteries and charged, I checked them myself. The heli responds to roll commands by shifting the rotors, but the command to start the rotors (throttle up) does not work. So It initializes, the lights look normal, and I get proper roll response from the roll servo but no rotor spool up what so ever.

I checked all the connections and everything looks good. No burn marks on the PC board. I'm at a loss. Before I wrap it up and ship it off for a potentially expensive diagnosis, is there anything I'm missing? It used to work like a champ, I'm just wondering what could have happened. There is no evidence of a hard crash, the blades are in good shape, the motors turn freely, the gears are in good shape too.

Thank you for any thoughts Please help get this kid flying again!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Bowerz's Avatar
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,786 Posts
Tried a different transmitter? Might be the issue. I don't kno if this board supports brushless mode like the AR6400 but you may have put the board into a programmed mode.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
Eddie P's Avatar
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,485 Posts
No, this is the Eflite RTF version with it's own 2.4G transmitter. I'm a Futaba FAAST guy, and nobody else I know locally flies Spectrum.

What might be an indicator of a "program" mode? The lights? They seem "normal" from what I recall.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
Registered User
DoomsDay's Avatar
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Try to rebind it to the transmitter.

I had another helicopter once that did something similar to this. everything worked except throttle. I opened up the transmitter and found that the throttle controls had came loose. I tightened it back down and it worked after that. Just a couple ideas to try.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
I have bad luck:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi John,
I have been flying my Rescue Tandem for a few months now and it is a great helicopter to fly. It is very quiet and the lights on it look good.
Since it's your first rc helicopter, I presume you know it's four channel?
When I get a new helicopter I always read through the instruction book while the battery is charging.
Once it's charged, always switch the transmitter on first, then insert the battery and quickly place the helicopter on a flat level surface till it binds with the transmitter. You may have to go through the binding process first, this is all explained in the instructions but here is a You Tube video that explain more about the Tandem than my words will.
It is a very nice helicopter to fly and I feel sure you will have a brilliant time learning how to fly it.

Fly high and safe
John
(58 years old, this is one of my many rc helicopters )

HorizonRC.com Preview - E-flite mCX Tandem Rescue (10 min 1 sec)
Hi, Just wanted to let you know about my progress. I have had it for three days now, and I took it to a family christmas party, and my obese cousin tried to catch it, and it crashed into him, so now he has a sore stomach:0
Anyways, that stabilising bar at the very top of the front rotat (there is one in the rear too) has broken off, as the clamp like screw hole area has broken off(one side). My uncle, a senior RéC enthusiast, took it into his shop to fix. He use ultra thin glue, and dapped a spot onto where the break was. He put enough to keep it in place, then put a perfectly fitting copper cylindar around the bond, to hold in place. Thank God for Uncle Pat! the thing is, this evening, my jackass douchebag annoying popularlar school prez jerk dumbass selfish brother of mine decided it would be a good idea to swat it out of the air, because he didn`t have the patience to wait for me to land or at least catch it to move to another room, because it was `Bothering`him. It broke in the same place, so the copper tube must have slipped down out of place. I used small amounts makeshift glue, and melted sandwich bag plastic to keep it in place, at least until Pat can see it again. I guess this means I have to hold off with fast flying and risky manouvers.

Anyways, thanks for your response and quote, as I look foreward for another one.

--John
DJ__MR
LISTEN! @bathurstbh.listen2myradio.com
jimmer109 is offline Find More Posts by jimmer109
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:35 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer109 View Post
It broke in the same place, so the copper tube must have slipped down out of place. I used small amounts makeshift glue, and melted sandwich bag plastic to keep it in place, at least until Pat can see it again. I guess this means I have to hold off with fast flying and risky manouvers.
Sounds like you need a new inner shaft around $6.
I'm not sure if it comes with the small screw so keep yours safe.
If you did lose it it's an easy fix and I'm sure your uncle would show you how.
This is the trouble with relatives, they can be such a pain .
There is a saying - You are born with your relatives but you can pick your friends! By the sound of your cousin and brother I hope you have good friends, although your uncle sounds like a great guy.
It also sound as if you are flying it without too much trouble if you are talking about fast flying and risky manoevers

Fly high and safe (with risky manoevers lol)
scotsoft is online now Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
If you want to maintain that inner shaft for a long time, you can remove the top screw that holds the two plastic parts together. Then, shave off the entire area that houses the screws. Now, when the helicopter crashes, the stabilizer bar will fly off instead of damaging the inner shaft. However, be careful as when it does crash, this bar can go flying at high velocities hurting yourself, pets, and other things in the house. I've had no issues so far with it though . Don't fly around pets : ) and little ones.
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Sounds like you need a new inner shaft around $6.
I'm not sure if it comes with the small screw so keep yours safe.
If you did lose it it's an easy fix and I'm sure your uncle would show you how.
This is the trouble with relatives, they can be such a pain .
There is a saying - You are born with your relatives but you can pick your friends! By the sound of your cousin and brother I hope you have good friends, although your uncle sounds like a great guy.
It also sound as if you are flying it without too much trouble if you are talking about fast flying and risky manoevers

Fly high and safe (with risky manoevers lol)

Hi!
Thanks for your response, as that is what I need. In fact, I just found that same thing, except made of silver:0 That way, if the same thing happens again, it will not break. The problem is that they are 35 dollars. I think it would be a good investment, not taking the chance of having to buy the plastic ones for a third time, if I break them again. Btw, You'll laugh at what happend to me today. While I was at the stove, making a small metal pic hot in hope to try to move some glue i had placed to fix earlier, I placed my heli about a foot from the element. When I moved it, I noticed that the front right side or the body was all rinkly and deformed:P That's okay with me as it does not affect performance much.

Thanks,

--John
DJ_MR->
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
jimmer109 is offline Find More Posts by jimmer109
Last edited by jimmer109; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added the BTW! part.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer109 View Post
Hi!
When I moved it, I noticed that the front right side or the body was all rinkly and deformed:P
Thanks,
You made a grown man cry T.T
brandn14 is offline Find More Posts by brandn14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:38 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer109 View Post
Hi!
Thanks for your response, as that is what I need. In fact, I just found that same thing, except made of silver:0 That way, if the same thing happens again, it will not break. The problem is that they are 35 dollars. I think it would be a good investment, not taking the chance of having to buy the plastic ones for a third time, if I break them again. Btw, You'll laugh at what happend to me today. While I was at the stove, making a small metal pic hot in hope to try to move some glue i had placed to fix earlier, I placed my heli about a foot from the element. When I moved it, I noticed that the front right side or the body was all rinkly and deformed:P That's okay with me as it does not affect performance much.

Thanks,

--John
DJ_MR->
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Hi John,
I have to disagree with your logic that paying $35 for the metal head is better than paying $6 for the plastic version.

Think about this -

1. You could almost buy 5 plastic for 1 metal .

2. When you crash if the metal resists breaking the energy created by the crash has to go somewhere, probably in a bent shaft - another $35 .

3. The more you fly, the less crashes you should have, so less chance of breaking the head .

4. Melting the body

5. One metal head - $35 or Two plastic head $12 plus One new body $23.35 = $35.35 - the figures speak for themselves

I think if you were to ask here in the forum, most guys would go for the cheaper option for now whilst you are still getting your skill level up.
Save your cash for your next model which you could modify with metal swashplate, metal heads, carbon tail boom etc etc etc
scotsoft is online now Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:23 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
...

5. One metal head - $35 or Two plastic head $12 plus One new body $23.35 = $35.35 - the figures speak for themselves

I think if you were to ask here in the forum, most guys would go for the cheaper option for now whilst you are still getting your skill level up.
Save your cash for your next model which you could modify with metal swashplate, metal heads, carbon tail boom etc etc etc
Absolutely no way contesting your argument ... however, the link says that there are TWO heads in the horizonpackage (except I cant read or they write something wrong) ... and if you quote 6$ for a plastic head, I am pretty sure you actually mean ONE! so the whole ratio gets shifted quite a bit ... even though the general argument still stands that using several plastic ones should be the cheaper solution.

(then again, people pointing out the prices of aluminum bling - and that is a general observation - always only complain how expensive the stuff is ... yet they never waste a moment to look at the manufacturing process of an aluminum head as opposed to the plastic one!!
Considering how much more complicated the process, the higher amount of money for it becomes understandable rather quickly ....
... but than again, that matters far too less for people who just want to fly, right ??)

E2
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:52 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Absolutely no way contesting your argument ... however, the link says that there are TWO heads in the horizonpackage (except I cant read or they write something wrong) ... and if you quote 6$ for a plastic head, I am pretty sure you actually mean ONE! so the whole ratio gets shifted quite a bit ... even though the general argument still stands that using several plastic ones should be the cheaper solution.

(then again, people pointing out the prices of aluminum bling - and that is a general observation - always only complain how expensive the stuff is ... yet they never waste a moment to look at the manufacturing process of an aluminum head as opposed to the plastic one!!
Considering how much more complicated the process, the higher amount of money for it becomes understandable rather quickly ....
... but than again, that matters far too less for people who just want to fly, right ??)

E2
It did not register when I read John's link there were two shafts supplied, so yes my equation is out .

I also agree that the manufacture of aluminium parts is more expensive than the equivalent plastic parts, I'm not complaining about the price of aluminium parts. I have an extended inner shaft fitted to one of my Lama V4's, to help eliminate blade strikes, which has an aluminium head.

The point I am trying to get over to John is the forces caused in a crash may dissipate by either breaking or bending something and as this young man is only on his first helicopter I was trying to point out he may be better off buying the plastic parts till his skill level improves.

Personally I only fit metal parts if they improve the performance of the heli not just because it makes it look nice - that is my outlook and my outlook only . How people spend their money is totally up to them.
scotsoft is online now Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article E-flite Blade mCX Ultra-Micro Helicopter RTF & BNF Review Michael Heer Coaxial Helicopters 346 Nov 06, 2010 01:30 PM
Discussion E-Flite Blade CX 2 Coaxial Heli or Falcon 3D CP pcasamento Micro Helis 2 Jan 29, 2008 10:24 PM
For Sale Brand New E-Flite Blade CP Helicopter AirMicro Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Jun 26, 2005 09:16 AM