HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:21 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
No, but you only need look back 8-12 pages in this thread. It's to do with connectors from Hobby King, and has links to the web site. You make the 'Y' connectors yourself.
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DilbertPilot View Post
Dimastep mentioned using a 400mah Zippy battery with the Tandem. I am considering buying and assembling a few battery packs. Can Dimastep or anyone tell me how and where they mounted the Zippy 400mah battery without altering the balance of the Tandem. I think the Zippy battery will not fit the existing battery holder. Obviously a battery harness must be added to the Zippy to fit the existing connector on the board but it is not clear to me where the battery will be mounted.
Sorry for late reply. I attach the battery on the outside of the body, on top of the helicopter in the middle section. The wire goes over the side and connects underneath in the slot. In other words battery is lying flat on it like riding horse. I attached it with self-adhesive velcro. I made longer velcro section so that I can position battery properly for balance.

I also removed a metal ball in the nose of helicopter frame. It is no longer needed for balance because I can position battery for balancing.
dimastep is offline Find More Posts by dimastep
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
If I use the body then the weight will be to one side and might damage the body in a crash. The top of the body is not accessible enough to replace batteries one after another. Are you using the Zippy 400? I ordered some from Hobby King but they are back ordered. I think it is just a bit too large to fit the holder based on the dimensions I read. The 250mah batteries that come with the Tandem don't last long enough. I suppose I could cut the existing battery holder and attach heat shrink tube to the remains of the holder that will just sleeve the zippy battery but if someone is already using the the Zippy 400 and has another solution I would like to know about it.
Here's what I did. I connected a Hobby king mini jst wire into the battery slot on the helicopter (it works as extension cord). Then I used another mini jst to cut it and solder to the battery. This way I can attach the battery to the heli and position it on top of the heli. In no crash did I loose the battery nor did my blades ever hit the wire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall I am surprised why MCX Tandem is less popular than MCX. There are so many advantages to it:
1) It looks more powerfull, not like a little puppy. It actually kicks up a lot of dust in my house
2) It even has LED lights.
3) There is no such thing as TBE effect on it, ever, because of its design.
4) Has much better forward flight speed.

The only explanation I have is that E-Flite supplied it with crappy 250mah battery that flies for 5 minutes and overheats like hell where as it needs a solid 350-400mah battery.
dimastep is offline Find More Posts by dimastep
Last edited by dimastep; Apr 04, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:52 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,776 Posts
I think its because the mCX is smaller, easier to spot land in small places, easier to transport, and mainly have been out for longer.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:03 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm,.......it's a shame it is not available in BNF.
It finally is!

BnF version............

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2580
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Awesome

So

are you guys happy with you mcxt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer View Post
It finally is!

BnF version............

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2580
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Awesome

So

are you guys happy with you mcxt?
I am. The TR has better FFF than the MCX and flies great outdoors when the wind is calm. It tends to rock a little when a breeze catches it which is no big deal but something to be aware of. Being larger than an MCX its easier to see when its up real high which is helpful for orientation.

Ronon is offline Find More Posts by Ronon
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Great

Thanks

Do you use use different batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronon View Post
I am. The TR has better FFF than the MCX and flies great outdoors when the wind is calm. It tends to rock a little when a breeze catches it which is no big deal but something to be aware of. Being larger than an MCX its easier to see when its up real high which is helpful for orientation.

Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
119 Posts
I just got one of these last week and I've been using it everyday. Lots of fun, definitely more fun than the mCX in every way. For fast flights I much prefer my mSR, but the TR is really, really cool. Extremely stable too.
Scream And Fly is offline Find More Posts by Scream And Fly
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:44 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,508 Posts
Razor,
I still use the 250 on mine. Some people are using bigger batteries or a combo with a y harness for a little more flight time.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
do the batts get real hot like some ppl have claimed?

you happy with it steve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Razor,
I still use the 250 on mine. Some people are using bigger batteries or a combo with a y harness for a little more flight time.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,508 Posts
Razor,
I love it. It is a ton of fun to fly. Looks the best in the air of my whole fleet. Batteries get warm, not to hot to touch. A tad warmer than the mCX, Solo pro.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
It looks great for sure

The new BNF is great too

Can it be flown in any winds at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Razor,
I love it. It is a ton of fun to fly. Looks the best in the air of my whole fleet. Batteries get warm, not to hot to touch. A tad warmer than the mCX, Solo pro.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
119 Posts
No, if you try to fly the TR in winds it will seasaw and crash. It's not good in winds at all.
Scream And Fly is offline Find More Posts by Scream And Fly
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Great

Thanks

Do you use use different batteries?
I have 5 stock 250ís that I fly for ~ 6:30. They can get a little warm but they cool down fast.
Ronon is offline Find More Posts by Ronon