SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:58 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
Lateral movement

It is my understanding that few if any of the Chinook style helis have any ability for lateral, side-to-side movement. Is this correct?
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:21 PM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Anyone know if a BNF is going to come out?

HH got me hooked on BNF, and now they need to feed my need.
Gunner_969 is offline Find More Posts by Gunner_969
Old Nov 08, 2009, 11:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
I assume they will, why they have not already is beyond me. They offer all of their micro airplanes/helis in BnF. Why they would not do this for this specific I do not know.
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
This heli definitely has side to side movement. In the video on page 2 it flies fantastic.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Nov 09, 2009, 01:45 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
The tandem manual is available to read. Here it is.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:13 PM
Springfield, VA USA
Joined Sep 2008
340 Posts
A frame made of 3 tubes in a triangular arrangement is an interesting contrast to the box beam skeleton of a Twister Skylift. The triangle of tubes creates a much more rigid frame than the Skylift's box beam. The LEDs and wheels are also really nice. Interesting concept, but I would prefer a tandem MSR, since my Skylift has already taught me all I want to learn about how to crash a tandem co-axial.

Oops. The bottom tube is servo linkage. Not part of the frame. The 2 tube frame is not as strong as a triangular one, but then again, the rotor masts on this little fellow are not subject to the same forces encountered on an aircraft that is 7 times its weight.

It ought to sell well since it offers the novelty of flying a tandem indoors without the rotor wash of its larger competitors. It will not retrieve a can of Fosters from the kitchen during a game, but flying it is a lot better than most half-time shows.
AH-64 D is offline Find More Posts by AH-64 D
Last edited by AH-64 D; Nov 09, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:52 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
New Video

Here is the new video of the mTR. It looks even better when you watch this.
Steve
HorizonRC.com Preview - E-flite mCX Tandem Rescue (10 min 1 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Very nice! Need a BNF version *now*!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:29 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Here is the new video of the mTR. It looks even better when you watch this.
Steve
A Jim Booker / Mark Padilla E-Flite video is always a pleasure to watch. If only they would let us know where they get those "video ready" helicopters they use. Great editing they use too, you have to watch very carefully to catch it.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
I want one in BNF and a MARINES scheme!

Here is a thought, and tell me if I am off base.

Since this is a tandem, front-to-back, using the MCX counter-rotating setup, then they have solved thrust balance issue between the front and back rotors.

Here is my idea, and I hope Horizon is listening: move the two rotor sets to a side-by-side configuration, and set up one extra channel to rotate the thrust axis 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical! This would be the V-22 Osprey!!

I know the old 5 channel controller for the CX-2 has the knob on it that would be perfect, or sell it as a BNF for those that already have a 5 channel or more controller.

How cool would that be!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
tclaridge,
A second body would be a good aftermarket item or spare item for eflite to make. An Osprey version would be really cool and an excellent idea. The cross between helicopter and plane would sell like crazy.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:45 PM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
Ya gotta be careful buying something from HH based on their videos. I watched the one on the SU26m and got one and it sure didn't fly like the one in the video.

I will admit this one looks cool. I had to laugh when it dropped off screen and crashed into the floor and they acted like nothing happened (except Jim kinda giggled).

I really like the way they solved the FF issue. Makes a lot of sense; I actually was surprised none of the others did this.

My LHS magr. can really fly a heli, and the 38 really made him work. Inside anyway; it makes it's own hurricane, which wasn't in evidence with this one.
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
One good thing about HH is that the local store does have them and you can see one fly in person before buying. Still looks better controlled than most of the other tandems I have seen.
Steve
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:03 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
Bing,
Actually, I got the Su-26, and after some mods, it flys just like the video. I can even do knife edge very well. I will admit that the Su-26 is an advanced bird, and I used a different prop than stock, but my experience is the Horizon products fly like the videos (and I have A LOT of Horizon products). The guys that design the products fly them too. I don't think they are trying to pull anything over on us. If they were, they would have edited out the part where the Tandem drops on the floor. That was funny. Notice he said the battery died.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing44 View Post
Ya gotta be careful buying something from HH based on their videos. I watched the one on the SU26m and got one and it sure didn't fly like the one in the video.
I've never seen any product work exactly the same as the promotional material. Apparently my BMW can pick up women on it's own...