HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2001, 05:32 PM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
Ideas for annual fun fly games?

Does anyone have ideas to share for events to have at the club's annual fun fly? Thanks John
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2001, 05:49 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Pylon racig with Zagi's and Twinstars?

Combat flying, towing a long streamer behind each other, Formation Flying, Bomb Drops, ALL up, Last down, Land in the circle, How Low can you go?
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Apr 24, 2001, 06:10 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
At our annual fun fly we have things like: Loop & Roll- how many loop followed by a roll combinations can be done in 1 minute.
Timed flight-without assistance from a timer or using any sort of clock the pilot takes off and flies then lands in 1 minute. The person who gets closest to exactly 60 seconds wins. Again the pilot must estimate the time.
Limbo under a crepe paper limbo line.
Spot landings on the field. We often combine this with our cambat meets making an area up that is considered a carrier deck.
Dave Ottney
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Apr 24, 2001, 08:02 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi John
Sounds like you just got yourself a job

When I acquired the Spring Sizzle, I asked the same question and decided to go with a most loops, and most rolls, one each day in order to appear to be doing something.

I'd already determined that the event wasn't going to feature everyone bar two standing in the pits watching a couple of circling dots - mostly based on that being what I disliked most at other events.

On the day, no-one signed up and I wasn't about to stop folk and bother them if they were that interested.

Year 2 events were cancelled early - halfway through year one's meet! So, far, all comments from attendees have been favourable regarding the event free format. A minor domestic insurrection to run something called class a & b sailplane was stomped on early and it's still comp free.

As previously discovered by "Aeromodeller" magazine in England and their very successful Old Warden comp free fun flies, and later the large model lot, the comp free funfly always seems to amaze folk with its likable popularity. This year, I may invite the Zagi lobby to go up around lunch and increase Trick RC's profits in their own spot - but that is mostly survival. I don't want anyone to find themselves having to land in an impromtu packing foam furball.

About the most dramatic thing I might do is let folk know if a really good model is about to fly.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 24, 2001, 08:24 PM
Crowley, TX, USA
Joined Dec 1999
551 Posts
How 'bout this-helium baloon pop! let go of the ballon and see how long it takes or who pops it first (watch out for head ons!). Or, have a roll of crepe paper or partial roll of toilet paper taked up to hight altitude and see haw many time you can cut it before it flutters back to earth! I saw this done with full scale back in the sixties at a tiny airfield in Quartz Hill, CA. Just a little local airshow so all this daring low altitude stuff was OK. The toilet paper cut was won by a Piper Cub - he cut it 7 times before deciding it was too low!

[This message has been edited by newflyer (edited 04-24-2001).]
newflyer is offline Find More Posts by newflyer
Old Apr 24, 2001, 10:35 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Donut drop: plastic ring dropped from a small post you tape sticking up to the model. Hit the spot..

Spot landing..
Lowest inverted flight.. if more than one manages to touch the ground, longest rudder drag..
All up, last down..
Limbo..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 25, 2001, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
I've always wanted to try to pop a helium baloon with the prop. Tie it down so that it's about 30 feet in the air and try to pop it.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Old Apr 25, 2001, 03:53 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Feb 2001
57 Posts
Last sunday we had our annual FunFly event.
We had 5 minutes to complete as much circuits as we can. The circuit consisted:
1.- Limbo: 10 points
2.- Balloons (3 rows of 3 balloons): 10 points each one
3.- Touch and go: 10 points if touch in a circle, 5 points if touch in the runway.
After the 5 minutes we had 30 seconds to climb up. Then stop the motor and make a spot landing: 15 points in the inner circle, 10 points in the outer and 5 points in the runway.
The points are added if the circuit is completed.
I was the only e-flyer, with my twinstar which had a taped landing gear. It was very very windy, but I could manage to be the 15th out of 19. There were a lot of crashes, but not my TS.

[This message has been edited by Kike (edited 04-25-2001).]
Kike is offline Find More Posts by Kike
Old Apr 25, 2001, 07:41 AM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
John,

Try this. It has several ideas.
http://www.rconline.com/articles/funfly.htm

Crash
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:49 AM View Post
funnyjokesfunny
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.