HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by ALL American, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:44 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Sold
NIB - Astro Flight Porterfield Collegiate Deluxe Kit W/ Astro Cobalt Geared 25 Motor

For Sale:

New In the Original Box - Astro Flight Porterfield Collegiate Deluxe Kit W/NEW Astro Cobalt Geared 25 Motor

This Kit is complete, never assembled and all components are NEW.

It's all there:

- Astro Cobalt Geared 25 Motor /w Astro Connector

- Astro 25 Motor Mount

- Prop Included

- Cowl Assembly

- Rolled Plans and Assembly Manual

- Pre Formed Landing Gear and hardware

- Clear Acetate for Windows

- All Balsa and Plywood precut and bulk

The Astro 25 Geared Motor alone, is sold today for $119.00 + $39.95 for the Gearbox. Astro Connectors are $12.99 Pair. There's a lot of value here. If I were offering just the motor, gearbox, motor mount and Astro Connector at my asking price, it would be a good deal. Since all of this is included at my asking price, it's almost like you're getting the Porterfield Collegiate Airplane kit for free!

I originally paid $249.00 + Shipping

My Asking Price, which I think is fair, is $175.00 + Shipping From Connecticut

I am Open to Trades - I'm always looking for Futaba FASST Flight Packs among other things
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Last edited by ALL American; Nov 01, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,934 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
nice flier

hey there

I had one of these many years ago, a phenomenal sport flier also great power to tow 1.5m and light 2m sailplanes~

wish my model budget was a little deeper
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:26 AM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Porterfield Collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pval3
hey there

I had one of these many years ago, a phenomenal sport flier also great power to tow 1.5m and light 2m sailplanes~

wish my model budget was a little deeper

Hi pval3,

I built the same Porterfield Collegiate kit several years ago. I used to fly it on two, 8 cell, SR 1500 mah packs for 16 cells. The Nicad packs weighed several pounds. On 6S lipo 5000 mah it has a lot of thrust, weighs much less than with the Nicads and it will stay up in the air longer than I have time for. It's still a really nice airplane to take out for a day of scale, relaxing flights.

I wanted to build another Porterfield with more scale detail. So I purchased this kit when I heard Astro Flight was going to discontinue selling it. It's one of those "I never got around to it" projects. I've been watching eBay for quite some time to get an idea of what this might be worth and I haven't seen one of these kits for sale in at least two years. Therefore, I set my price based on the current cost of a new Astro Cobalt 25 motor, an Astro gearbox, Astro motor mount and Astro Connector. The Porterfield airplane kit is basically free to the buyer of the motor package.

Brushless motors are popular today, but these Astro Cobalt motors are powerful and last forever. And in an airplane like the Portefield Collegiate, the extra weight is welcome on windy days. The Astro Cobalt 25 Geared is very popular among RC Boaters. Anyone who's into both RC boats and aircraft can make good use of this motor package and end up with a great looking, great flying Porterfield Collegiate to boot.

I think I'm pricing it at a very fair price but no offers yet.

Regards,

Anthony
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,934 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Hey Anthony

wasnt commenting about your price . . I think it is incredibly fair for this size and quality kit. With the motor included it is a very good deal.

I agree, the Astro cobalts have "fallen out of favor" and that they are a missed opportunity as by simply adding a Lipo pack, the motors are still so much better than many of the brushless motors made in china. They also are built like a tank in comparison in that they are very durable.

I am still running astro motors in several airplanes that I fly regularly, I just upgraded the kits to lipo power...

The brushless stuff really shines in the very light and small airplanes but the astro stuff is still the best bang for the buck esp with the newer tech brushed ESCs coming out that are just dirt cheap.

If my hobby budget wasnt decimated by the Polk Hobbies sale a few months ago, I would buy it . .
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Oct 25, 2009, 03:19 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
PVAL3,

I apologize for not being more clear. I type with two fingers No you did not comment on my asking price. Since you are so familiar with the kit and the motor, my intent was to solicit your opinion regarding the fairness of my asking price. And I appreciate your detailed response!

If no one buys the kit, I'll just go ahead with my original plan, to build a second Porterfield Collegiate that's true to scale.

Best Regards,

Anthony

PS: I picked up a half dozen of the Polk's Hobbies airplanes myself. Couldn't resist at the closeout price!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Astro Porterfield Collegiate Airframe Anyone?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post13439840

Wow! One of these kits just sold for $120.00 for the Porterfield Collegiate airframe kit only, with NO motor.

The NIB Astro Cobalt 25 Geared motor is a fantastic motor and I'd be happy to keep it for a future project.

I'd be willing to split up my Deluxe Kit, selling just the airframe kit for the same price Joe just got for his.

Anybody interested?
Last edited by ALL American; Oct 27, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Closed Thread