HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Yippee!
1/72 Bristol

Been working on this for a few days got it done tonight. Flight through the house was very nice will be doing full maiden tomorrow. This little plane was an easy build using Plantraco Gear AUW 3.2grams made with .020 durabatics printed on foam. 3222 prop and GB05 Wing span 6 inches I'm working on a full fuse Fokker 1/72 that Led Zepplin drew up Also, just got this one done first.

Doom
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Last edited by epicdoom; Oct 20, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Cool!! i really like seeing people build these tiny models, especially in 1/72
nice job.

Whats the WS at 1/72? and what prop is that?
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Very nice. Bet that will be fun to fly.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Thanx the WS was 6 inches GB05 Gb 3222 CF prop its to big for the scale so once I know it will fly well Im gonna nibble it down so it's a bit more scale Or I may just have to make one I tried to fly it on the 32mm DD prop but no go and the prop looked to small anyhow Gotta order some CF mat so I can get back to making my own props again.

Doom
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Ok thanks, at 3.2 grams with 6 inche WS and double wings it should fly quite nicely nice and low wingloading.

Looking forward to your Fokker, that should be quite small at 1/72..
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Yep It was just about floating through my house. I left the rear end of the upper wing movable so I can adjust incidence a bit. it flew nice and straight will have to see how it turns. The fokker is a tuff build full fuse will be interesting to see if I can get it in the air at 1/72. Edge gluing .020 Durabatics is tuff I used a sanded down 2 mm wide seam strip to make life easier. I got the cowling made for it and most of the plane done tho so if I get time this week I should be able to complete it.

Got a custom paint P51 in 1/48 and 1/72 scale printed out also I would rather do full fuse but the profile planes are fun to build and fly so untill I get my shop fully set up to make full fuse planes this will work for now. I was looking for the templates for the planes like you did them when you started this thread the ones you cut one piece and roll togeather you have those?? I am looking for all the WWII planes to build.

Doom
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:30 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Doom, i use thin strips of tape to help with gluing the edges together.. as for the templates... unfortunately most of the planes were one off, you can find Robert Guillot's spitfire template in micromads 1/72 spitfire thread.

i have the 109 fuse in the thread.. but it needs alteration when cutting it out.. theres also the mustang template.. but the scoop is 2mm too short and not angled correctly.. i just simply cut it out 3mm longer and shape it by hand...
they were made with fiddlers green plans modified to be in proper scale and demensions using plastic kits as a guide.

i lost the 109 template after i started experimenting with the molding.. although i think its still here somewhere on one of the hundreds of cd's that i have laying around.. thats why i never updated it with the correct wings and stab.

i posted a link in my thread with links to some free fiddlers green models, the mustang can be used for its wing.. same with the 109.. but the 109 wing will need alterations.. or you can find a 3 view and scale it down to 1/72 and use that as a template for the wings and stab.. then you can use the fuse templates in the thread.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
That's a great build Epic!

Got some plans here for you... Their from multiple sources, can't remember exactly who designed what.
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:07 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Nice job Doom! Fun little flyer in just a couple of evenings work, well worth it. Here's a couple more paper Me109 plans... I nabbed these here somewhere and put them away in the vault for a project someday.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:06 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Vet, the 109 was from my original reworking of the FG plan ..methuso adjusted the scale of the template and got things closer together to avoid wasting material if printed and glued on to a single piece, the wing is the wrong shape.. so if your scale oriented do not use the wing or stab!! find a reputable 3 view and scale it down to 1/72 for the wings.. searching some of the plastic modeling forums will yield all the info you need.

Here's Roberts Mustang template... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1102045

And here's a nice full fuse bristol scout in 1/72 i found while searching the web...
Last edited by Heliman420; Oct 21, 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:54 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
Wow Doom fantastic Job!
Is the fuse in balsa and wing from foam sheet?
Roger B.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Last edited by rodair; Oct 21, 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
WOW thanx folks for the plans. and kind words. I flew The bristol today and it flew very nice. I had to tip the upper wing back a tad to get some air under it, but man did it fly nice. Got about 6 Min. of flight on the 20Mah its a fairly old battery so I suspect I could get maybe 9-10min on a new one. I was trying to get some pictures of it and fly it at the same time Man thats hard Plus this isn't a hands off bird. you have to fly this constantly. I was however able to get 2 of the probably 20 pics that had the plane in it and clear enough to see.

Led Zepplin I'm close to getting that fokker done. I built both the 1/48 and the 1/72 and man alive is the 1/72 tiny.

Roger the whole plane is durabatics foam

Here are some In flight picks

Doom
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2005
489 Posts
Now that has to be pure fun!!!! Great job. Got some questions. Take off run? How slow, like walk speed or fast walk and how tight a turn?
Again looks like a lot of fun!!!
flybob1 is offline Find More Posts by flybob1
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
I launched it from my hand the lot I fly at is rough it would eat this little plane alive.
Flight speed was about the same as the Plantraco 1/72 spit so faster than walking speed. I can change the incidence on the top wing so next time I take it out I'll see how slow I can get it flying. It flew nice a flat with the wing setting it had turns were about 10-15 foot radius where it wouldn't spiral down or tip stall. Had plenty of power was able to cut back to about 1/2 stick to maintain level flight. I would love to make my next one full fuse 3 chan just not sure 1/72 scale will be able to handle the extra weight. with full fuse extra act and bigger RX battery isn't a problem I can bahomatize any battery size in 5 and 10 mm. But Im game to try it nothing ventured nothing gained.

Doom
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:19 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
I Took my Bristol with me today to fly in one of the fields where I hunt at. I Got in my stand early and took a very nice 7pt 175lb Dressed Buck. Well after dragging him through a soybean field for a mile and a half I got to my Truck Exhausted I tossed my day pack in the back seat and guess where it landed. Yep rite on my Bristol Scout so now I have Bristol pancake. I Guess it was a fair trade the Bristol for the deer meat. Wel I guess now I'll see if the full fuse bristol is doable sooner. Nice I'll eat some Deer Jerky while I'm building it.

Doom