HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:24 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Next is the delicate job of trimming the tailcone. It is very thin once finished on the top but they work great and this entire linkage stays completly internal except for this small portion of the clevis.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Neutral elevator
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:26 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Down elevator
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,461 Posts
Wow , The best build thread I have seen yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/10 Congrats
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Up elevator
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Nice and clean!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:29 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by km2579 View Post
Wow , The best build thread I have seen yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/10 Congrats
Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:37 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Next is to install the horns in the wing. I use a pencil to make lines that are centered on the cutouts for the linkage. Notice the marks toward the trailing edge. These are where the rearmost part of the horns need to be once glued. Again, this has all been figured out beforehand and everything will fall into place if these horns are glued in the right spot. The aileron horns get installed 14MM from the TE and the flap horns are 10MM forward of the TE. Couldnt be any easier. Just be sure they are as deep as they can go in the slots you cut for them. They should sit flat against the inside of the bottom skin. I glue these in with Gorilla CA. For those of you who are skeptical try breaking one out after it's glued. It aint happening. Gorilla CA is da bomb!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Joe this is a good thread on the build. You have explained all that needs to be said without any long confusing explanations I understood everything so far and can't wait to get a plane with all three extra kits. They will save so much work it will be a pleasure to try builing my D 80. Jimi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:43 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Time to rest. I will finish this up tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out.

Joe
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:44 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi View Post
Joe this is a good thread on the build. You have explained all that needs to be said without any long confusing explanations I understood everything so far and can't wait to get a plane with all three extra kits. They will save so much work it will be a pleasure to try builing my D 80. Jimi
Thanks Jimi, your order should be ready for pickup in about two weeeks. Let me know if you want all the kits ahead of time as I need to order some stuff.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Looks like my wife is watching one of her TV shows. I got 10 more minutes. Lets move on!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:13 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Next, take all four linkage rods for the wing and screw the plastic ball ends on them leaving about 3mm of threads showing. These can be fine tuned once the servos are in place. From the top of the wing put the plastic ball end through the hole into the servo compartment and connect the clevises to the horns. Be sure not to open the clevises up too much as it could break the solder or the arm of the clevis. I use a flathead screwdriver to help keep them open while Im installing them. Once in place these clevises shouldnt need to be removed. I solder the clevises shut at this time just like I did with the elevator. Then flip the wing over and get ready to put your servos in. I take the wiring harness and the rest of my gear and get all my servos working. I am using a JR9303 and I set my flap trim to 200 and ailerons to 0. The arms on the aileron servos are installed slightly leaning to the TE so that once the links are snapped on there is a 90 degree angle. The flap arms are leaning back about 45 degrees to the servo case and they are almost in a locked out position. This will get the most out of your flaps. 90 degree flaps are possible but a servo programmer is required as all of the arms are pretty short to be able to fit all internal.
I position the servos by hand to get everything lined up. There should be about 2 to 3 mm gap between the servos and the shear web. I use thin CA to glue the servos in place. Then I check to see that everything is really tight and still working properly. Then I mix up some thickened epoxy. I used a black pigment for this one. I use a syringe to make a fillet around the base of the servo and most importantly I fill the gap between the servo and the shear web. Once this dries the servos will be very solidly atattched to the wing and the control surfaces will be extremely slop free. Perfect!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Forgot about the harness. I dremel out a round hole just big enough to get the plugs through. I put it 2 1/2" forward of the wing bolt. Later I take a piece of electrical tape and wrap it around the harness where the hole is and hot glue it into the hole. The tape protects the wires.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:23 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Superclean Joe - thanks for doing this mate - will make it so easy for us!

Zim
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile