HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:04 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,512 Posts
All that flying leo.... has to be some great video to post ??
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
There are now 6 D80's in Australia, and 3 of them flew this week. They are awesome right out of the box! I managed 222mph with my MCT, and 246mph with my D80 in 28ish kts on it's maiden flight.

Mine responded very well to about 1mm of camber for launch, and a staight trailing edge during flight with only the ailerons active. For crow, I run as much flap as I can and about 60% of available spoiler, but I mix flaps back into them. I never had an issue with low speed manoevering and I could literally back it into the landing zone.

The D80 is rock solid at anything over 180 - it flew like it was on rails. At one point I did 5 laps at 200 without touching the ailerons!

Awesome plane Joe!

Leo

Thank you for sharing that Leo. I really am kicking myself for jumping to conclusions on the low speed handling of the D80. They fly perfect. It was the reflex that was killing it. Im a proud papa. Cant wait to hear about your next outing.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
5 laps at 200 without touching the rons... WOW! Yehaaaaaaaaaa!
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:52 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
All that flying leo.... has to be some great video to post ??
Yeah, we caught the 246 on video, but we are still on the road. We'll post the video on the weekend when we get home.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,512 Posts
Great flying man !!!! Now all you guys need is 35kts .... booshka!!!! Aussie record
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,082 Posts
Just got mine and have to say - This model is the new standard for strength and design.

Get yours NOW. Get the kits and save yourself a lot of shopping!

-=Vernon
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:58 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
D80 completed

After a few delays due to work commitments and moving house i finally finished my D80 today.Dual battery setup with regulator installed,pre-ballasted wing(added lead across the centre section between the two flap servos) and it is cg'd at 3' from the leading edge,batteries charged and ready to go!completed weight came in at 4.32kg(or for the USA guys 152.4oz)
Hope to have enough wind tomorrow for a maiden.
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:37 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,070 Posts
All Up Weight

The D 80 has been flown with weights from unbalasted to over 200 oz. I bought Joe's 200 oz, and havnt re-weighed it to check it. But Joe says it has 16 oz in each wing tip and 50 in its belly. The AUW is 200 oz. Now Joe has one that is even heavier, so it will be interesting to see how the wind speed will eventually tell us what the weight - speed optimal will be.
The D 80 has an adequate fuse and wing integrity for a wide variation in weight testing. I believe we will discover a lot by how weight affects this particular plane as we gain experience with it.
john
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:03 AM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
John, you should put this last post on the Day Browser at RCSpeeds ! It will help people like myself use the site to help me weight down my D80. I have @ one pound in the wing and your comments will be useful for trying to set the weight for the wind conditions. You can enter it under comments . Thank you jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:59 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Sucessfull maiden completed today of my D80.Flew it at a frontside only site due to the wind direction being not right for the DS sites in our area.Flew great at around 150oz and could have been ballasted more in the 20 odd knots of breeze we had today.This plane handles ballast well and was fast even on the frontside

Only one problem.....on landing my RHS flap tore along the hinge-line
Now the problem is how to repair it.Normally i would just create a "Goop" hinge
along the tear but i dont know how this would stand up to the speeds that this model is capable of.The hinge has torn aprox. half way along so is fairly stiff at least on one side.Another option(maybe?) is to grind down the skin along the hinge line and lay up another kevlar hinge??maybe the Goop would be ok as it is only half the flap??anyone have any idea's?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Man, that sucks! Heres what I would do. First hold the hinge back in place at neutral and wick some thin CA into the torn area. If you need to tape off the surrounding areas to avoid getting glue everywhere then do so. The CA will actually attatch many of the tiny fibers that remain. Then take the edge of a diamond cutoff wheel or an abrasive wheel and use it to chase out any extra glue from the hingeline. I do this by hand without a dremel. Your hinge should seem normal at this point. You can unhook the linkage so you can drop the flap down 90 degrees. The hinge should still be working ok. Next, spread a thin layer of 3M5200 1mm thick 10MM wide across the hingeline on the inside of the wing. Then close the flap to neutral and tape the ends. On the outside retape the surrounding area of the hingeline and spread some 3M5200 into the hingeline. This should be wiped very thin so it's basically lower than the wing surface. Then untape the surrounding area. Once dried this should hold up if all went well. You could always put a layer of tape over the hingeline after it's dry for extra insurance.

The other way to fix it would be to apply tape to the outside of the wing as step one. Then smooth the inside of the hingeline with the 3M5200 making sure that you force the material through the hinge into the tape by looking from the outside periodically as your moving across the damaged area. Once you have a good 1mm thick bead across the damaged area and the taped side has a smooth line of 5200 stuck to it then you can tape the flap at neutral and let it sit for a couple days. Leave the tape on for flight.

The reason I mantioned two different ways is that sometimes when the hinges tear there is a lot of kevlar left and just using CA sometimes brings them back to really good shape. If that is the case with yours then you might be able to just back the hingeline up from the inside with the 5200 and not have any tape or 5200 on the outside for the best looking repair. Hard to reccomend the best option withoud putting my hands on it though. Hope this made sense.

Joe
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Great to hear about the D80 maiden Joel, but bummer about the flap!!!

3M 5200 seems pretty tough to find in Australia. I ordered some from the US on ebay. With shipping it seemed fairly expensive for just one tube but I'm guessing it wouldn't be much cheaper if sourced in Aus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260499224137
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:29 PM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys and thanks Sean for the link.Just ordered two tubes so i have the right stuff for the job.Maybe our local silicon would do but i will stick to something that is proven.I want to be sure of the hinge joint as i am hoping for good speeds with the D80.It was very fast even on the frontside so i cant wait to cut some laps.....but i want to have confidence in the structural integrity of the flap.I dont want it coming off at 250mph plus!It seems that there are a few planes out there that have gone over 300mph with this type of hinge so i assume it will be ok???If there is a massive record day while i am waiting for the silicon i will just have to CA the flap up to be sure and worry about landing later!!!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:31 PM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Man, that sucks! Heres what I would do. First hold the hinge back in place at neutral and wick some thin CA into the torn area. If you need to tape off the surrounding areas to avoid getting glue everywhere then do so. The CA will actually attatch many of the tiny fibers that remain. Then take the edge of a diamond cutoff wheel or an abrasive wheel and use it to chase out any extra glue from the hingeline. I do this by hand without a dremel. Your hinge should seem normal at this point. You can unhook the linkage so you can drop the flap down 90 degrees. The hinge should still be working ok. Next, spread a thin layer of 3M5200 1mm thick 10MM wide across the hingeline on the inside of the wing. Then close the flap to neutral and tape the ends. On the outside retape the surrounding area of the hingeline and spread some 3M5200 into the hingeline. This should be wiped very thin so it's basically lower than the wing surface. Then untape the surrounding area. Once dried this should hold up if all went well. You could always put a layer of tape over the hingeline after it's dry for extra insurance.

The other way to fix it would be to apply tape to the outside of the wing as step one. Then smooth the inside of the hingeline with the 3M5200 making sure that you force the material through the hinge into the tape by looking from the outside periodically as your moving across the damaged area. Once you have a good 1mm thick bead across the damaged area and the taped side has a smooth line of 5200 stuck to it then you can tape the flap at neutral and let it sit for a couple days. Leave the tape on for flight.

The reason I mantioned two different ways is that sometimes when the hinges tear there is a lot of kevlar left and just using CA sometimes brings them back to really good shape. If that is the case with yours then you might be able to just back the hingeline up from the inside with the 5200 and not have any tape or 5200 on the outside for the best looking repair. Hard to reccomend the best option withoud putting my hands on it though. Hope this made sense.

Joe
Thanks Joe....thats great advice.Gives me confidence that i will still be able to take this D80 to full speed.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:33 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop119 View Post
Thanks Joe....thats great advice.Gives me confidence that i will still be able to take this D80 to full speed.
Oh yeah, no problem. I have gone 350+ with a repaired hinge on a D80.