HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
Discussion
Dynamic 80 Build Thread

Where do I begin? I guess I should start by saying Im even more excited about these D80's than I was a few weeks ago. They are very nice models and have everything I was hoping for. I will be explaining each picture step by step so not only will the build be explained but the features of the model as well. Let's get started.

Here is the box I made for traveling to and from China. It can hold 5 D80's and is lined with EPP and EPS foam. Has wheels for dragging it around. Took my flying model and a bunch of building supplies on the way out and brought back my model, three prototype wings, 2 fuses, 3 elevators, and 2 D40's. Oh, and a fin.
joe manor is online now Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
Now for the good stuff!

The paint schemes are close but some of them will be different. I am not planning on doing the red faded tips for the production run. The white has too small of an outer stripe. It will look more like the orange one. The orange ones outer stripe is slightly tapered. The newer ones will have parallel sides on the stripes. I think I will flip the colors on the orange one and put the purple inside and yellow outside.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
What no.

Ferrari Red?

Those look great Joe.

Welcome back.

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
So, these parts are prototype parts. The production models have recessed covers that go on the bottom of the wing. The holes for the top drive linkage are already done at the factory. There will also be recesses for the fairings to cover the linkage at the four locations. (fairings included) This thing is complete! Just install the supplied control horns and your ready to go. I will be offering an accessory kit for the D80's. It will have pre made linkages for the flaps, ailerons, and elevator. It will also include a pre made wiring harness for the wing with universal connectors for the servos and receiver. It is two piece with a multiplex connector for wing removal. Also included in the kit will be a servo extension for the elevator servo. These kits will be priced at $60. They will make building the D80 much easier and save you many hours of time. I will include pics of the linkage later. Here are some pics of the harness and extension. Also the predrilled linkage holes.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator
Ferrari Red?

Those look great Joe.

Welcome back.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I cant see red very well. I guess we could do a custom run sometime for those who really want one.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
I played with the wing layup and have come up with a good stiff wing. It is 8 ounces lighter than the original layup, just as stiff and will kick butt. I lightened the ailerons as well and have balsa core in them to keep them stiff. The Dbox is double carbon and the spar has been made even wider 1/2" more. It has a real superspar.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
The wing has a kevlar/carbon wrapped endgrain balsa mainspar and the rearspar is wrapped with a carbon sleeve.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
Fuse

The fuse is 99% kevlar. I used some UHM carbon tow to stiffen the tailboom and it is very stiff. Other than that the only other carbon is wrapped around the rib inside the subfin. The carbon tow stops at the LE of the wing. These fuses are very thick up front and should hold up to rock landings no problem. The entire nose of the model has zero carbon and I will be testing a 2.4ghz system in this model.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:23 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
I will be offering an accessory kit for the D80's. It will have pre made linkages for the flaps, ailerons, and elevator. It will also include a pre made wiring harness for the wing with universal connectors for the servos and receiver. It is two piece with a multiplex connector for wing removal. Also included in the kit will be a servo extension for the elevator servo. These kits will be priced at $60. They will make building the D80 much easier and save you many hours of time.
Kit me!

Welcome back, Joe. Looks awesome.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:35 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
I will be offering an accessory kit for the D80's. It will have pre made linkages for the flaps, ailerons, and elevator. It will also include a pre made wiring harness for the wing with universal connectors for the servos and receiver. It is two piece with a multiplex connector for wing removal. Also included in the kit will be a servo extension for the elevator servo. These kits will be priced at $60. They will make building the D80 much easier and save you many hours of time.

$60 is about the going rate for a pre-made wiring harness--when you add in the pre-made linkages, that makes it a great value!

Great pics and descriptions as always--should help you sell a bunch more D80's especially when you really get a chance to wind one up and set some records with it.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,253 Posts
Wow really really nice Joe.
Great that your making kit option as well. Definatly the way most people will go.
The Kevlar fues is a massive bonus as well. Finally a model were we can keep our arials in and not dangeling out waiting to be ripped off, damaged and creating drag.
Swoopdown is online now Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:29 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Top notch Joe!!!!! Deffinately the right tool for the job!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,058 Posts
Better Than Expectations

Really incredible Joe, a really fine value on top of a plane which has already proven itself, and appears to have no limit in sight. I can see it now maybe in a few years, Dynamics for the first two pages of the glider list!!!

See you soon
John
Indubitably is online now Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:27 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon
$60 is about the going rate for a pre-made wiring harness--when you add in the pre-made linkages, that makes it a great value!

Great pics and descriptions as always--should help you sell a bunch more D80's especially when you really get a chance to wind one up and set some records with it.
Thanks, I was thinking about the additional parts required that should be added to the kit. Off the top of my head they are metal arms for all servos and ball links to fit them. The kit price will increase accordingly but you will be able to virtually glue in the horns and servos and go fly. Half of the build is done for you. I just need to source a few more items. This is good.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:37 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
I think you need to charge more than $60 for the kit, if it includes wiring harness, linkages, and horns. I'd prefer that you make enough money from the kit so that it's worth your while and you continue to offer it, rather than see you start out at a "great price" but eventually quit because you're losing your shirt or putting too much work into supplying them.

I feel the same way about the airframe price.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S