HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
11 Posts
Discussion
JR PCM9XII/DSX9/X9303 - Automatic switching of timer by throttle stick

See http://www.drapko.sk/msystem/main.htm for installation and manual of Add-on module for JR PCM9XII/DSX9/X9303.
You can refer at "Daedalus66" who has module installed and tested already. Also I appreciate his support and help with translation of the manual. Thank you very much, Daedalus66.
yogi100
yogi100 is offline Find More Posts by yogi100
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 03:16 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
I'm happy to confirm that the module does exactly what it's supposed to do. It gives a DX6i, DX7 or JR 9303 the capability that Futaba owners have long felt superior about -- having the timer start automatically when the throttle stick is advanced. It works with either count down or count up timer settings.

I've got it working in both a DX7 and an XP9303. It was easy to install, as it's small and needs only four connections: two of them to the throttle pot, one for power, and one to the trainer switch (decrease button on DX7). You do need to be able to solder and have a suitable small iron so you don't mess things up, but the device is not at all intrusive and could easily be removed if, for example, the transmitter needed to go in for service.

There's a jumper on the module. With it in place, the timer arms automatically when the Tx is switched on. The stick should normally be all the way down at switch on, as that's what defines the trigger position for the timer. To tell you the timer is armed, the unit produces six beeps. If you don't want it to arm, you hold the trainer switch while turning on the TX.

If you don't want autotimer to start automatically, remove the jumper. Now it only works if you hold the trainer switch while turning on.

It costs less than $20. Details are in the manual, which you can download. MY only role has been to test the 9303 version and review the manual. Otherwise, I'm just a satisfied paying customer.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Apr 11, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 04:43 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,402 Posts
One of the things I constantly hear about JR radios is the lack of the timer being controlled by the throttle stick. So I'm a bit surprised that this add on circuit hasn't apparently generated more buzz. Back at the beginning of the year, this add on was offered for the DX6i. I knew it could also work with my XP9303 and so I ordered same. I corresponded a couple of times with Jaro Macko, the designer and made a number of voltage measurements for him. The unfortunate thing was at the time I was having a back and forth shuffle with Horizon regarding my transmitter so I didn't want to install anything that they might use as an excuse for whatever.

Eventually I got the transmitter back working as it should but by that time the flying season was upon us and I just wanted to fly. Then this new thread was started and I saw that he had made specific add on's for different JR transmitters. So I ordered the 9303 version from him. I also made an email suggestion regarding the circuit beeping every minute. Namely to make the connection between wire 4 and 6 a jumper and eliminate the wire on 6. Jaro had been thinking ahead and had already done that. He sent me the latest version. The main difference between this version and what I originally bought was the extra jumper and the elimination of a wire.

So I just got finished installing the circuit. As all my models have a timer associated with them I elected to leave Jumper 1 on and so with turning on the transmitter, the add on is activated. I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet but it should work great. I've tested on the bench and it works like a charm. With my installation, the only thing I have to do, is to put the throttle stick at the location I want the timer to start/stop and then turn on the transmitter. Move the stick above that point, timer on, below that timer off. You still of course have to set the timer as a stopwatch or countdown timer, plus the amount of time for the countdown selection but you would have to do that anyway.

With my electric gliders it is a real boon. I have the 2 available timers on. The bottom is set as a stopwatch and it keeps track of the total time up, the upper timer is set as a countdown timer that turns on and off with the throttle stick postion now. It keeps track of the total time I want the motor to run for any particular flight. Can't tell you the number of times I've either forgotten to turn on or off that timer. This is much better.

The new JR 12X and the coming 11X have finally moved into the 21st century and have the ability to control the timer by the throttle stick but for everyone else, this would be a great add on. While Jaro doesn't specifiy it, I'm certain this would also work for the 8103.

The only thing I didn't "like" was the wire going up to the TRAINER switch only because I currently can't unplug it if I ever want to remove the back. I'll change that soon with a simple single pin connector pair. This really is a nitpick thing though. Took about 10 days to get to me after I ordered it.

By the way, my XP9303 is the heli version so it has a toggle switch for the TRAINER/TIMER function. The plane and sailplane models have a push button. Actually I find the arrangement of the heli version much better for all 3 types of aircraft this transmitter is capable of controlling.

PS, I see that the system cutoff parts of what I wrote as a description for some of the attached pictures. Between what is left and the pictures you should get what I was saying but if not ask me.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Last edited by GBR2; Nov 06, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Information
Old Nov 07, 2009, 12:19 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
I fully agree. I've now been using the module on my DX7 for a couple of weeks and now wouldn't be without it. I converted my older (out of warranty) XP9303 but don't fly that one much. So I think its time to convert my X9303, as that's the one I use for outdoor flying. The installation is quite unintrusive (if you are careful and use a suitable soldering iron) so I doubt if it would void the warranty. Just four easy-to-access connection points.

I used to say "no big deal" to people who compained that JR lack the capability to start the timer with the throttle stick, but now I've tried it I see the point. Why doesn't JR build this capability into the TX?

Anyway, a very simple device that does exactly what it's supposed to and costs only about $20. Good instructions (though I have to admit I helped with those for the 9303).
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
213 Posts
I have a question on this modification. If you have the throttle set to start the countdown timer at, say, 1/4 throttle, then what happens when I do a loop and cut the throttle almost all the way on the back side of the loop? Does it stop the timer, and then start it again when I throttle back up at the bottom of the loop?

Thanks,
Tux
ptuxbury is online now Find More Posts by ptuxbury
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuxbury View Post
I have a question on this modification. If you have the throttle set to start the countdown timer at, say, 1/4 throttle, then what happens when I do a loop and cut the throttle almost all the way on the back side of the loop? Does it stop the timer, and then start it again when I throttle back up at the bottom of the loop?

Thanks,
Tux
Yes it does. But the question is why would you not set the start point with the stick in full low throttle? That way, when the throttle is anywhere other than right against the stop the timer will be running. One would normally not close the throttle completely in a loop, so it shouldn't affect timing.

By the way, the same issue applies if you are flying a helicopter inverted. If you move the stick below the timer start position (as in a full blast climb) the timer stops. I don't find this matters in my flying as these are very brief moments!

I'd be interested to know how the new JR X9503 handles this issue, as it has throttle linked to timer.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I used to say "no big deal" to people who compained that JR lack the capability to start the timer with the throttle stick, but now I've tried it I see the point. Why doesn't JR build this capability into the TX?
UPDATE: JR got the message and built the throttle timer function into the new X9503.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:44 PM
jdr43
USA, AR, Bella Vista
Joined Oct 2005
202 Posts
Dx6i timer

I would like to purchase the timer for a dx6i. How do I go about doing this.
jdr43 is offline Find More Posts by jdr43
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr43 View Post
I would like to purchase the timer for a dx6i. How do I go about doing this.
Just go to the website and find the appropriate manual.
http://www.drapko.sk/msystem/main.htm

At the end of the manual is the price, which varies slightly between versions (about 12 Euros or less than $17). You can use PayPal to send the money.

Any questions, email Jaro at the address shown on the website. He's very helpful (in English).
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:27 AM
jdr43
USA, AR, Bella Vista
Joined Oct 2005
202 Posts
dx6i Timer

Quote:
Just go to the website and find the appropriate manual.
http://www.drapko.sk/msystem/main.htm

At the end of the manual is the price, which varies slightly between versions (about 12 Euros or less than $17). You can use PayPal to send the money.

Any questions, email Jaro at the address shown on the website. He's very helpful (in English).
Thank you, I ordered the timer today. $17.50 shipped
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
jdr43
USA, AR, Bella Vista
Joined Oct 2005
202 Posts
Timer

Would it be possible to use the throttle cut switch instead of the trainer switch ?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:55 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
Quote:
Would it be possible to use the throttle cut switch instead of the trainer switch ?
As I understand it, the module simply mimics the action of the start stop switch. So on the 9303 it has to be wired to the trainer switch (which is what you use to start the timer normally), and on the DX7 to the decrease button.

What are you trying to accomplish by wanting to connect it elsewhere?

If you need a definitive answer, though, you should ask Jaro.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:31 AM
jdr43
USA, AR, Bella Vista
Joined Oct 2005
202 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it, the module simply mimics the action of the start stop switch. So on the 9303 it has to be wired to the trainer switch (which is what you use to start the timer normally), and on the DX7 to the decrease button.

What are you trying to accomplish by wanting to connect it elsewhere?

If you need a definitive answer, though, you should ask Jaro.
Thank you, I sent Jaro a pm asking the question. On the DX6I you can assign the timer function to any switch, I prefer the throttle cut button.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:09 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The timer in the X9503 is like this, it is linked to throttle stick position, NOT throttle channel output. And it only starts the timer, not stopping it when the stick returns to low.

As I understand if, the 12X and 11X can run the timer based on throttle channel output.

So on an 11/12X full low stick on a heli in idle up will not stop the timer, but throttle hold will.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:59 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,284 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, I sent Jaro a pm asking the question. On the DX6I you can assign the timer function to any switch, I prefer the throttle cut button.
I see your point now. Since you assign timer function to the throttle cut button, the module would need to be wired to that switch to do its job.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering about the throttle cut button, it is just what the name implies and has little to do with the throttle hold function used in helicopters. Since the cut button is a momentary switch it can be used for the timer function (whereas hold uses a toggle switch).