HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:31 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
I removed "some" of the orginal paint - but not all.

On the wings, I only had to fix where the decals pulled some foam, so for the most part I was painting white over silver which isn't too bad with any paint. The areas I fixed were pure white which made it a little tough - maybe one more coat for a consistent white (which is always a bugger to paint)

On the fuse it was a mixed bag. I sanded the whole fuse to get rid of the mold marks and especially the seam as I had done most filling there. In some areas I sanded the paint almost off - but the area around nose stayed mostly black.

When painting over such a blotchy mixed bag of colours, again maybe 2 extra coats were required to get a consistent colour. Areas that were white required more than areas that were red - the darker the colour the better it hides whats underneath.

Overall, if I were to do it again I'd almost consider primer of some sort. I'm torn though. Weight is such a huge issue maybe more sanding is better - but there isn't much foam here so you have to be very careful!!!

Mines a bit heavy but flys fine. I see other stock Mustangs rip up the sky way better than mine cuz they are lighter - but I wanted a unique paint job - to each their own.
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:19 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the run down. It looks great and the pics you took look great too.. so I think it was worth the weight (sorry!). :-)

All that is great to keep in mind when looking to re-'decorate' this plane.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Dec 09, 2009, 11:41 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
I can't be the only guy doing a different paint job and mods???

Post em all - the small changes and the big. It's always cool to see what other guys have done......

Anyone done retracts yet
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
I can't be the only guy doing a different paint job and mods??? Post em all - the small changes and the big. It's always cool to see what other guys have done......
OK, so it won't win any prize, but I put an AMA sticker on my Mustangs!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Dec 10, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:58 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Well now - I never thought to use velcro to hold the foam bits that hold her in her "hanger". I was just using tape but that's messy - velcro.....
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:09 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
You can also use Velcro to provide a battery "shelf" for batteries about to be used, or for holding a charging station. I use Velco circles to hold the foam block in the Ember "hangars". Mustang hangar now has the charging station velcro installed.
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Warbird Flyer
North New Jersey
Joined Dec 2009
197 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this site, and pretty new to RC planes. I have the PZ T-28, the L-4 Grasshopper, and this Micro P-51. Like many others I couldn't stand the look of the stock Mustang, so I changed mine. Unlike many others I'm not great at this sort of thing, and I have no paint or decals to work with (although I suppose I could change that ). So, my solution? Sharpies and electrical tape!

I removed most of the decals, but left the US insignia. To fill in the spots where the paint came off I used a silver Sharpie... Don't do this!!! It burned the foam! Other Sharpies are fine, silver is bad! I made a toothpick silver (with said Sharpie) and it is perfectly in scale for the antenna in front of the tail. I relocated the tailwheel to it's correct position, since I'm really not too concerned about taxiing a plane I can land right next to me! Invasion stripes are black Sharpie and white electrical tape, and I made the prop tips yellow also with electrical tape.

This aircraft is not based on any actual scheme, I just wanted it to look real in the sky. I hope you like it! And she still flies great with the extra weight!

The photo of the Mustang flying was before the scheme was finished... I have more, let me know if you want to see them and I'll upload them!

Thank you folks for all that you are doing with your Mustangs, you are an inspiration!

~Joe
JoeS475 is offline Find More Posts by JoeS475
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:49 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
I would be sceptical about the tape on the prop, might throw it outa balance. Looks good though. Nice
~Cole
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:03 PM
Warbird Flyer
North New Jersey
Joined Dec 2009
197 Posts
Thanks Cole,

So far no problems with the prop, I only put the tape on the front to reduce weight, and was very careful to make both tips identical to ensure balance... I have about 15 flights since the yellow tips and all is well. She still loops and rolls and does all that fun stuff even though she is heavier.

That said I'm very new to this and appreciate any and all advice I can get!

Cheers

~Joe
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:14 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Joe~
Good to here. It might be that the props are small, motor, RPM. With the bigger stuff I Wouldn't do that though. any vids?
~Cole P.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:40 PM
Warbird Flyer
North New Jersey
Joined Dec 2009
197 Posts
No vids, just a couple more pics

~Joe
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Looks good Joe. Who takes your pics? I have tried and failed at flying and photography at the same time!
~Cole
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2004
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS475 View Post
No vids, just a couple more pics

~Joe
Photoshop!!

Just kidding... nice pics!
aolshove is offline Find More Posts by aolshove
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
my mustang

.....d-day stripes, olive drab, named "uh oh".
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,401 Posts
well its not the plane but hey come the 25 itll be out of the box
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair