HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Lupus78.. these look really good. Im curious about the material and weight as well. I have a pilot design in mind that I would love to see become a reality. if you are interested please PM me.
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:14 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Thanks guys!

I ordered my copies in "White Detail" material, which is more expensive than the Shapeways default material, which is the WSF ("White, Strong & Flexible"). But WD is also bit more heavier I think, as it's more solid and dense material. And not as flexible. I think the "white detail" works better with this small objects, as you can see from pictures I've taken of the bigger models that were printed in WSF material, the surface in those is a lot more grainy, which is ok for their size. But in this small size, all extra smoothness is really appreciated. I've now ordered test prints of these micro pilots in both materials and I will take more comprehensive photo shoot with those. As my first set was printed in WD, I really can't tell how WSF will turn out, yet.

I weighted the first versions I ordered in WD material. They are hollow so they are not too heavy. Both pilots weighted 1.7 grams and the cockpit kit with both the seat and instrument panel were together 1.7g. I've done some optimizing and hopefully the pilots will be a fraction lighter. Also I made some small updates to improve the surface detail visibility. Hopefully they turn out good.

Good think about this micro size is also their price, which stays really low, as Shapeways charges by volume of the material. Although you need to order more than one (group order?) to meet the minimum order amount of $25 in Shapeways. For comparison, I once tried to scale and optimize my cockpit kit with pilot for the FMS 1400mm wingspan Mustang and the kit would have costed more than $100...

About future items I'm of course open to any suggestions what could be done 3d printed. I already have couple of pilots planned for future items, mainly German, Japanese and Russian pilots. The last one was actually requested by mtflyr. And I say this to all of you guys, PM me with your ideas and I'll take a look at them. Also new cockpit kits are in the works, including PZ Corsair cockpit, as well as ultra-micro P-51B cockpit (with canopy frames).

- Lupus
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Last edited by Lupus78; Jan 16, 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Home made Canopy

Nothing special, just decided to take the plunge and make a canopy and pilot. I love this plane, but the standard canopy bugs me. Just need to repaint in a different scheme.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
they look so good like that ..

it's wonder PZ don;t make a new version with canopy in acetate or such .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Does any one have any pictures of the full scale 118th squaderon mustang? I want to see how I can improve my scale mustang.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,284 Posts
The best military plane pictures are here
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Parkzone's mustangs are really acurate. The micro mustang has the same details as the full scale one.
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...acific/24.html
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 2009
50 Posts
got my first p51 micro on saturday, now just waiting for some calm weather to take it for a spin... can't wait for those pilots to become available!!! they look awesome.

Jarthy is offline Find More Posts by Jarthy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Just to inform: I'm still waiting for the pilot test prints. As soon as I'll get those and can approve them, I'll make them available. Shouldn't take long.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:07 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
232 Posts
I posted this awhile ago in the micro RTF forum, and it seems like it would fit well here. I got a new body, tail, and wing for Christmas and decided to to a custom scheme for it. I painted the wing and tail blue and picked up a USA themed decal set.
akozols is online now Find More Posts by akozols
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Kalmar, Sweden
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
I added some navigation light to mine.
Most of the time its only calm wind here late in the evenings,
so this makes things so much easier for the pilote

Leds are desoldered from hobbykings led stripes. Very bright at only 5mA!

Plane is running on a 400mAh cell, also from HK.
markusb2 is offline Find More Posts by markusb2
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
26 Posts
Hi
looks is exceed

You may tell and show the scheme what do such illumination ? If you will not obstruct.
Is it beforehand thanked.
DaRk_SitH is offline Find More Posts by DaRk_SitH
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
Kalmar, Sweden
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Thank you Dark Sith
Just steal some power from the battery to power the LEDs, dont forget current limiting resistors! I stole power from a servo connector on the receiver board. The cables used are thin insulated copper wire from the primary of an old transformer.
markusb2 is offline Find More Posts by markusb2
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:29 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,321 Posts
Question for those who did LED mustangs: Will the LEDs light up if you plug them in any servo port? I have a DX5e which has 5 channels while the mustang has a 6 channel RX. Will the LEDs light up when plugged into CH 6?