HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
FairPlane,

Thanks for the comments with the wing tanks it looks pretty cool flying.

I'm not sure on how much the 4.5X3 slows it down, my guess 10%. I need to fly it more with the GWS 5X4 prop to judge the difference.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:52 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Pete fantastic! You sure do make them look great. Love the prop mod. Can you get some video?

Cheers,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Hey mtflyer

Heres some of my latest pics of the landing struts. I did some prelim takeoffs and they seem very light. These would look good on your model mt. You'll notice I also cut treads into one of the tires ( will do the other soon.. Its a very tedious job). Im working on the invasion stripes and the gear doors as well. will post more pics and maybe a vid when she's done. Yes this is still the {prototype}
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Yes.... the tailwheel needs some help, its coming too!!!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:18 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Hey Cabman,

Wow, that's a great idea looks great. I don't fly mine with the gear on but it would look good when I do. Also good idea on the tire tread and paper rims.

I cut some slots in the GWS 4.5X3 prop hub and thinned the prop blades to fit then CA'ed in place. They seem like they may hold for a few landings. This mod may slow it down too much though but it looks kind of cool. I will most likely fly indoors with the
GWS 4.5X3 prop and outdoors with the GWS 5X4.

I gotta get back to finishing my P-47 and starting the VVS Yak-7

Thanks Mark... I'd love to get video but I can't fly and do the video too. Next indoor or outdoor day I'll see if my friend Jin can get some.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 12, 2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:36 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Different GWS Props and P-51 spinners. I put a real thin coat of epoxy on the cut spinners before painting helps to prtect the spinner without much weight gain.

Reattached (CA'ed) the the two extra blades into the grooves on the GWS 4.5X3 prop hub. Seems a lot better and they may stay on for a while.

Weathered a new GWS 4.5X3 prop for indoors if the 4 blade craps out and weathered the GWS outdoor 5X4.3 prop.

Also made a wire gear stop for quick prop changes in the field. I Velcro it to the back of my TX.

Pete
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:40 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Cabman had a good idea on the P-51 wheels if you use them. I'm going to do the same. Got my image from the scale forum under decals page 19.

On my computer I reduced under Photo Printing Wizard I reduced the image to 71% in preferences, then put it at contact sheet 8x10 prints. That made it pretty much the scale size needed.

I'm also putting in plastic wheel sleeves to help rolling used micro push rod tube.

I'll try and do the wheel tread like Cabman but that's going to be hard as he wrote.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Jan 13, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Added the wheel covers and had an idea to put tread, well look like tread on the tires rather then cut it. Just find some mesh type material paint it then roll the tires over it. It almost worked I just didn't do a good job but I can see this woking fine just use some gray paint.

Pete
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
So after spending lots of time looking at others p-51s I decided to paint mine. Planning on doing a blue tail scheme but I'm having problems. I don't have a air brush so that is out of the question, but What is the best way to paint this foam?

And for those who want it, I attached a blank p-51 for you to design.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:35 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
VerticalSpark,

Maybe try a good brush and thinned paint so you don't load paint weight on.

Testors Acrylic Model Master Paints work great for me.

A good brush would be worth the $ if your going to have to hand paint also plastic model masking tape helps it's expensive but works well because you can see through it. I break apart twin disposable razors to cut thin lines and the masking tape.

Good luck. I was not into doing this P-51 as I really just like building my own.

But look at me now maybe too much. I'm pretty much done with this bird now and happy with the results it looks and flys great with the wing tanks on or off.

Pete
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
VerticalSpark,

Maybe try a good brush and thinned paint so you don't load paint weight on.

Testors Acrylic Model Master Paints work great for me.

A good brush would be worth the $ if your going to have to hand paint also plastic model masking tape helps it's expensive but works well because you can see through it. I break apart twin disposable razors to cut thin lines and the masking tape.
Thanks for the info. I was considering a brushing it on but I don't really have experience with any brush and dont want brush marks all over the plane.

And for anybody who want the file with the blank mustang just PM me with you e-mail address and Ill send you the file so you don't have to paint a mustang with blurry lines.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Hey guys, yes mtflyr thats exactly what I did with the wheels on my p51 but I wasnt lucky enough to find a wheel without the strut and gear cover so I cut a wheel pic in half then flipped it and made the other half, then downsized it to what I needed.

Hey verticalspark,
I have no airbrush either but clear tape, a good brush, and the right paint works well. (ie, Tamiya acrylic and some craft acrylics work well) remember thin as possible and 2 or 3 coats at most for good color. dont overload it.

got the stripes on, will post pics soon

Great idea with the mesh MT!!!!! By the way I used super small pieces of heat shrink for the struts, smaller sections on top for larger diameter
Last edited by cabman1969; Jan 14, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: stupidity
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2008
661 Posts
heres min, brushless and beater haha.
butters149 is offline Find More Posts by butters149
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
252 Posts
that nosecone looks like it's in great shape.

anyone try these?
squishydonut is offline Find More Posts by squishydonut
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishydonut View Post
that nosecone looks like it's in great shape.

anyone try these?
Not on a micro size. If I remember right the paper is a little heavy to use for our size planes. But I could be mistaken.
RCG Plus Member