HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:45 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,919 Posts
Thanks guys,

I usually don't like doing RTF/kit planes, I'd rather make my own but everyone's making this PZ P-51 look good so I thought I'd try one.

I enjoy doing the research and reading about the folks who flew these birds.
As I said, these micro birds being so light are hard to damage.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Bald Eaglet

Hey guys just wanted to show a pic of my first version of the bald eagle paint scheme. Yes i know it still needs the invasion stripes. Its still in the -fly a little- crash a little- paint it a little phase. Notice the slightly mangled nose. Ill do a better version after I destroy this airframe, mainly just so Im better with the flight characteristics of the model. Yes it looks rough but like I said its the prototype of whats to come, (experimenting with acrylic paints add ons and weight). I even added the antenna mast. im actually working on scale landing gear struts and rims that are coming out very well. Yes! I know (weight!) but they are very light construction and ill only use them for touch and go's and static display, a P51 should never have gear hangin out of the bottom.
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:01 AM
Warbird Flyer
North New Jersey
Joined Dec 2009
197 Posts
cabman1969, yours is an awesome work in progress! I'm on my third spinner (I use landing gear, and the pavement is far from perfect), but I want to buy 3 more of these birds just for different paint jobs. Can't wait to see your final result/next plane.

It's nice to see somebody else put on the antenna mast and move the tail wheel!

Personally I prefer not to add landing gear doors/struts, as I feel a Mustang in flight should not have wheels down. As it is they are quite hard to notice, especially at a distance. I like what mtflyr has done, and that he is only using them for display.

~Joe

Edit: Just read your last sentence again... My thoughts exactly!
JoeS475 is offline Find More Posts by JoeS475
Old Jan 05, 2010, 04:53 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTex View Post
Thanks guys

I made the canopy, but the mold is not quite right yet. It doesn't fit coerrctly at the front, I had to bend it a little while I was gluing. Once I get the mold right I may offer a few for sale if there is enough interest.

A couple more pics, need to get some shots in the sunlight.
Ever get that mold right? I'd be interested if you have 'em.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:23 PM
Warbird Flyer
North New Jersey
Joined Dec 2009
197 Posts
I second that... I'd love a clear canopy, but am not equipped (or skilled enough) to make one myself!

~Joe
JoeS475 is offline Find More Posts by JoeS475
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:42 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,919 Posts
Not sure if this will work in the test phase now. A friend at my LHS made one for his slightly larger profile P-51 and it worked for him. I'm not sure if it will work with the PZ brick. I used two GWS 4X3 props cut one at the hub. Then CA'ed to the other hub. It will require making a new spinner as well.
Also made some paper prop decals to test looks.

I've done this before on my large 32" WS P-47 and it works great. Eyeballed the pitch etc on the added prop blades.

We'll see.

Pete
Old Jan 08, 2010, 01:50 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,578 Posts
I had thought about doing that with the stock prop but didnt think I could get them straight.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:40 AM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
..nice 4 blade! Hope it works, but usually I've lost efficiency with 4 blades. Let us know, I've got lots of props.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:11 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well if it doesn't work you can always decrease the diameter. When you add a blade you increase pitch by 1 and diameter by 1. Of course you guys probably knew that but if the thrust isn't there jut trim the blade. Less weight to sling around and you should get more performance. I hope it works because I want to do the same thing.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:48 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,919 Posts
Thanks Orion, my friend did infact reduce his diameter by cutting the prop.

I just got a GWS 4X3 instead of the 5X3.

I think it will work powers up ok the extra blades will I'm sure pop off the first time one hits the ground so I may try and cut a slot in the hub later for each blade.

Pete
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:28 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,919 Posts
Made some .010 styrene light weight drop tanks. They are held on with micro magnets not the best but they look okay and I should be able to fly with them or I can pop them off. Run up tests on the 4 blade prop are okay too. Also made a quick spinner but I'll need to make a better one if the 4 blade prop works.

Weight gain 1.1 oz to 1.3 oz not too bad.
Now mine can do long range missions

Pete
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Man that looks good!
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:33 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
635 Posts
Pete,

you can fit extra batteries in side that drop tank. Looks great as usual.

Jin
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:40 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,919 Posts
Well today I was able to test fly the P-51 with the 4 blade prop indoors at the National Building Museum in down town DC. It's a great place to fly and I had a ton of fun.

The 4 blade prop really slowed the plane down and worked well until I landed and as I had thought both the CA held on blades poped off. The cool thing is with the now two blade GWS 4.5X3 prop the P-51 flew great indoors. It slowed it down enough to have fun flying it and the wing drop tanks worked great too and pop off when landing.

I may try cutting a notch in the prop hub to help keep the added blades on the prop. But again for tight areas of indoor flying just using the GWS 4.5X3 prop is a pretty good way to go.

Thanks to the folks who set up the indoor flying at the National Building Museum

Pete
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:41 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Well today I was able to test fly the P-51 with the 4 blade prop indoors at the National Building Museum in down town DC. It's a great place to fly and I had a ton of fun.

The 4 blade prop really slowed the plane down and worked well until I landed and as I had thought both the CA held on blades poped off. The cool thing is with the now two blade GWS 4.5X3 prop the P-51 flew great indoors. It slowed it down enough to have fun flying it and the wing drop tanks worked great too and pop off when landing.

I may try cutting a notch in the prop hub to help keep the added blades on the prop. But again for tight areas of indoor flying just using the GWS 4.5X3 prop is a pretty good way to go.

Thanks to the folks who set up the indoor flying at the National Building Museum

Pete
Hey mtflyr- your bird looks incredible! So if you had to guess at how much the speed was decreased by using the gws prop-what do you think it would be? 10%-20%-30%???? I put fixed flaps on my P51 to slow it down enough for indoor flight, but maybe I'll change the prop too to make it a little more relaxing as mine flies well indoors but really have to keep on the sticks at all times-had an indoor fly today and now my bird has a crease in the wing, but doesnt effect the flight at all Once again your plane looks AWESOME!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane