SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:36 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
EPO P-38 Lightning- looks great, Pete!

Pete,
When will we learn more about the new P-38? The pics and stats look extremely good!!!

Both paint schemes are stunners too!

Will you have a flight report soon? Dying to see how the retracts work.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

One suggestion- many of us are fairly jaded over the kind of text in the "feature" section... which is obviously generic and it makes us doubt the rest of the specs!

Can you guys consider writing up some genuine "features" for each plane?

Pete, you obvioulsy know your stuff and write well...a little bit of care would go a LONG way.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
Yeah, the same generic text for every plane is insulting to say the least.
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
So.. Banana Hobby must be pretty darned busy these days!!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:38 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I love the 20min flight times given for a twin motor with a 2200 lipo. I bet you'd be lucky to get 5 min. Comes on Pete put some true times in there along with some speeds. Nice plane but it can be misleading to someone who doesn't know any better.
bhoges17 is offline Find More Posts by bhoges17
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:00 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,405 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The "Chinenglish" as it's been put before is laughable. I've purchased enough EDFs from BH to know when I see cut and paste copy.

For the record, Pete is a stand up guy trying his tail off to make BH a one-stop shop for RC. With all the problems with customer support in the past, he's made it right for me every time. Pete is the sole reason I come back to BH.

A buddy of mine purchased the 90MM F/A-18 Hornet and had lots of issues. Pete went out of his way to make things right and I appreciate that very, very much.

Now, the P-38 is my favorite all-time WWII bird. I have had 4 (yes 4) E flite P-38's which I love, love, love. When I found out BH was coming out with an even larger version (E flite's span is 48"), good scale detail and WITH RETRACTS!!?!?

I was hooked.

I am SO ordering a California Cutie livery. I may have to wait for airframe only though. Video is key of course but I've learned enough in this hobby to know that airframe is the way to go and install your own prefered guts.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,944 Posts
I just ordered mine. Didn't see an airframe only option. Might try it out first with the stock motors and controllers.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:17 PM
Captain "Thumbs"
Carlton, Hood River
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
As an owner/flyer of the e-flight p-38, I have to say that BH looks like they have a screaming good deal on this p-38. And it looks to be an upgrade from the e flight. But video of it flying and a genuine blurb on the sight would really help convince me to buy.
witsh is offline Find More Posts by witsh
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:26 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,405 Posts
Just retracts alone has me happy. I love my E flite P-38 but being discontinued makes this look even more attractive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:12 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
I don't know what got into me? I just ordered the P-38 and can hardly wait to see what it looks like and how well it flys. When I get it I will take photos and do a as I go review of the plane.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:31 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Price difference

I pre-ordered the P-38 on 10/18 for a final price of $234.90. Today, with the same options and only $30 off for pre-order vice the $40 off when I ordered it, the total price would be $209.90. The difference is that they are now discounting more for not ordering a TX, RX, or LiPo, where they didn't before.

I just sent an email to their customer service email address asking that they either reduce my price or cancel my order. I still want the plane, but if I have to I'll re-order it at the lesser price. I asked that they email or call me promptly with the resolution. I'll post the results.
fred_n is offline Find More Posts by fred_n
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:40 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,405 Posts
I tried ordering and got hung up on some weird shipping error...I went through the whole PayPal route, it seemed to accept it, and then asked me to pick my shipping and when I would, it would re-rout me back to the same page asking me to pick my shipping.

Maybe it's the RC Gods telling me to stop ordering so many planes before my wife divorces me?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Breda View Post
I tried ordering and got hung up on some weird shipping error...I went through the whole PayPal route, it seemed to accept it, and then asked me to pick my shipping and when I would, it would re-rout me back to the same page asking me to pick my shipping.

Maybe it's the RC Gods telling me to stop ordering so many planes before my wife divorces me?
Probably for the best.

Shipping to me was $35... ugh.
Yeah, I'm on the other coast but still...
Old Nov 09, 2009, 07:55 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
I liked the look of this one so much, I ALMOST considered pre-ordering it, since it was only $170 without the Tx/Rx/lipo/charger. Good to know about the shipping, as I'm in TN and it would probably be pretty pricey to me, too. Think I'll wait for somebody to just carry an airframe version.

Temptation almost got the best of me!
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:16 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_n View Post
I pre-ordered the P-38 on 10/18 for a final price of $234.90. Today, with the same options and only $30 off for pre-order vice the $40 off when I ordered it, the total price would be $209.90. The difference is that they are now discounting more for not ordering a TX, RX, or LiPo, where they didn't before.

I just sent an email to their customer service email address asking that they either reduce my price or cancel my order. I still want the plane, but if I have to I'll re-order it at the lesser price. I asked that they email or call me promptly with the resolution. I'll post the results.
I spoke with Oscar yesterday to get my refund initiated. Today I spoke with Ryan. Right after speaking to Ryan I received a message from PayPal stating that BH had refunded $65 on my order. Thanks to those two guys for helping me out. I'm really looking forward to receiving the plane. The best I could get is that it's still due out toward the end of November.
fred_n is offline Find More Posts by fred_n
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:59 PM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Breda View Post

No, that's normal.
I just ordered one too!!!

After Paypal, it bounces you back to the order page. Finalize the shipping and press continue on the bottom right, then it says "order complete" and gives you a tracking number.

Later, when you go to Paypal, you will see that the order has been processed.

Okay, so now we be patient..... I know BH has a reputation for being slow to ship, PLUS the fact that this is a PRE-order......

But DANG I love the looks of this 38 and the features. I too was upset at not being able to get the Eflight version, but now I am glad I didnt. Just from the specs, this thing looks so much better.

Oh- and BTW, I also took some of the claims on thier website with a grain of salt. Experienced modellers will see the claim for "20 minutes on 2200mah battery" and laugh it off. Obviosuly they need a better chinese-to-english dictionary..LOL

But I hope the claim of EPP, retracts, Brushless motors and ESC's that come with the kit are legit....
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1