HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2009, 02:51 AM
finger slicer
Southern CA.
Joined Mar 2009
475 Posts
Question
Flap Installation

Looking for some advice/suggestions/links/etc. to flap installation. Specifically running the linkage through the wing so you're connecting to the top of the flap and not the bottom.

Most wings have a spar of some sorts at the TE. Seems like you have to cut through it for this type of linkage install - is that normal?

Also - I know there can be a mechanical advantage for this type of install. I assume there's an aerodynamic advantage as well?

I'm going to be building a new Enigma here soon. My last one I bought used, and the flaps were mounted traditionally. I'm considering attempting going through the wing - (besides looking cool) I'm assuming there's an advantage here in energy retention? My last Enigma bled off speed pretty rapidly, so this time around - I want to minimize that much as much as possible.

-
mike
carpetbomb is offline Find More Posts by carpetbomb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:45 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined Jul 2004
1,194 Posts
Pages of info on here from my enigma build and others.

Here
Rodders is offline Find More Posts by Rodders
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:33 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
V11 comes set up for this - some detail pics in my servo installation thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258351
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:44 AM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
880 Posts
Hi Mike, The TE spar is balsa and I drilled the complete diameter then reinforced with thin CA. The tricky part is keeping every thing straight and finding proper fairings. My cuts to the top skin are a little sloppy, but it was my first hollow molded build. I have seen pics of people drilling small holes through the skins, but I don't think you will be able to couple the ailerons with the flaps. Also you might want to make your own horns out CF or G10 to get 80-90 degrees. The main thing is taking your time and make sure it is straight and true.
Gregory
grobbins666 is offline Find More Posts by grobbins666
Last edited by grobbins666; Oct 19, 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: punct.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:22 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,187 Posts
Mike, if you go through the top, then when the flaps are down (encountering the most force) they will be pushing the servo instead of pulling. If you can fit the servo against the main spar, then you are not exerting pressure on the skin, but rather the spar. If your servo is too thick, you can wedge in some balsa between the spar and the servo. Regarding the trailing edge, you should not have to cut it at all, in principle, it suffices to merely cut the top skin. If this is all jiberish, give me a call tonite and I can take some pictures and try to explain.

have a good week!

P.S. this also usully allows for more flap deflection, but given that the enigma can essentially crawl with minor flap deflection, you can probably get away without it....
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it