HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Discussion
Amsterdam (with a few changes)

Started my Amsterdam tug last week. Going quite well as most of the wood is laser cut. Have already changed a few things like the towline resting span, I installed a couple "strakes" (I think thats what they are called) down the curved bottom of the hull to reduce the rolling effect, and plan on adding a few things as work progresses. Paint colour on the box doesn't turn me on, so that will change.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
Nice, nice, nice! Nice shop too!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:46 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
That laser cut looks nice ...I thought Latina dropped the Amsterdam ? ...

Very nice build ..

Whats in it for a power train ...
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
Your doing a great job. The "strakes" are called bilge keels. One of our club members has been running a Amsterdam for many years and he has been happy with it. The hull is deep and wide so rolling isn't really much of an issue.

Another club member(and forum member boater_dave) is building out the hull with a big Graupner Z drive unit in it, and a bow thruster.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Thanks Kmot.

More coffee, I don't know whether Latina has quit producing the kit or not, but the local hobby shop got two in and they were both gone in a week. The actual plywood in the kit is a lot nicer than what the pictures show in the build instructions. The power will be a Johnson 6390. I tried it on a 6v gell cell and it sure had lots of torque. Should work out I hope. Got some others to try if its not torquey enough.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Thanks for the pics Willem. Nice to see a finished product in the pond. Very nicely built.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:21 AM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi Willem,

nice work. I did built an Amsterdam just about a year ago and it is one of my favourite tugs. Roll is no problem as long as you have enough ballast at the lowest point. Steering is a different story, especially in reverse. In my humble opinion you need a bow thruster.

Regards
Wilhelm
awvs is offline Find More Posts by awvs
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:06 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,694 Posts
The rig boater dave is doing will eliminate all maneuvering issues. He is primarily a blow boter so moving in directions other than straight ahead he can use the extra help (just kidding Dave ).

olscuzbut from the photos you can see how deep she will ride. The bilge keels will still look good while she is on display, breaking up allot of empty hull. As awvs said ballasting is the key.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
WOW! Thanks guys for the neat pics. I can see my Amsterdam budget going sky high. Guess I better start planning before I get too much farther.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
That is a perfectly magnificent version of the Amsterdam, awvs.

You should consider doing a separate thread on the build of yours, and post all the pictures so I can save them in my Amsterdam research folder.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi olscuzbut,

sorry for the mix-up, but my posting was mend for you and not Willem. Of course, the drive in the pictures posted by Willem will address most of the steering problems with the Amsterdam. By the way, I am using a Graupner 720BB motor (high torque) and a 60 mm brass prop.

Regards
Wilhelm
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi Kmot,
thanks for your comment. I don't know whether there are more modelers interested in additional pictures. Nevertheless, I can forward my other pics via a pm direct to you.

Regards
Wilhelm
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:45 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,042 Posts
Yes there are. We all love pictures because none of us can read!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:12 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,949 Posts
Lots of pics please. I love the lighting, so make sure you provide details on that, too.
I have had my Amsterdam on the bench for way too long. The Graupner bow thruster is far too small/weak for this boat. I am thinking of building one with an actual propellor in the tube. Anybody got some ideas?

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi Dave,
I use a bow thruster made by raboesch and it is doing a fine job. The robbe thruster with two propellers in my "Happy Hunter" sounds like a circular saw. My Amsterdam is equipped with working lights (as you can see), a horn sound module by RAM, rotating radars and working fire monitors. The first drive motor was a robbe EF76II with a 3:1 gear but it was very noisy. I did replace it with a 720BB which has enough torque and runs smooth as silk. With two 12V 7Ah gel cells it runs forever. An additional 6V 7Ah gel cell supplies the Rx, radars and the lights. Some of the lights are LED's. The two yellow caution lights near the boom are flashing. The total weight of the boat is 32 lbs.
Here are a few more pictures as requested.

Regards
Wilhelm