HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:59 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,742 Posts
Quote:
Is the green really that vibrant and the turbos really that orange looking or is it just the camera? Looks good and I can't wait to hear how it flies and if everything works on it that should.
I always hesitate to shoot and post indoor photographs a little as they tend to distort the colors. I will shoot some outdoor photos in the sun hopefully in a day ot two and then we'll see how the colors look.

The wings are NOT removable. There are no inner or outer wings either, just two long wings, one left and one right, onto which the booms slide.

I cycled the retracts a few times and will also try a slow down module on mine.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:52 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Thanks for the info on the color.
So this plane is 55" wide, how long is it? How big of a pain do you think it will be to get it to the airfield since it doesn't come apart?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Dec 02, 2009, 09:53 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
I spent one evening working on the P-38 tonite. I did not use any epoxy ... yet. I wanted to get it all dry fit, with all of the servos and controls hooked up, before I started gluing it up.

There are a LOT of servo wires that get run into the receiver on this one. I am going with a Spektrum AR500 five channel receiver. I am hoping to get her in the air Friday.

(Yeah, I know .... it looks like I have the vertical stabs reversed .... right?)

Barnesjonr,
I'm psyched that you have one... I always value and enjoy reading what you have to say about these models.

So... BOTH models paint schemes the invasion stripes?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:08 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Look forward to hearing and seeing more, Jon. With JPower making this and the new, larger A-10, I feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of ordering them from BH since I know I trust the vendor actually making the product a bit.

If and when I order, I'll just be sure to do it on my Mastercard so I have some protection in case things happen to go south.

I'm bummed that the canopy is smoked, though! I really prefer clear canopies, even if it means seeing some of the electronic innards.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:38 PM
United States, FL, Brooker
Joined Apr 2008
554 Posts
Subscribed.
Russell_C is online now Find More Posts by Russell_C
Old Dec 03, 2009, 07:48 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt View Post
A P38 is a nice dream, and a warbird with two motors is so cool. But be careful with your bucks.

A buddy had an E Flite P38 which did fly great (at least until he got too cocky and crashed--not the plane's fault). It is definitely not a beginner plane. And as an "ARF" it is a complicated plane to set up with two motors, and didn't sell well and this is probably the reason E Flite discontinued it. I got the last one our LHS had now on the build table, and it takes a lot of tinkering. I figure a P38 is a challenge, and guys here are making book on mine .

The Banana Hobby ad is suspicious. Click the link in the second post on this thread by Orion Pax. The pics look cool, but no videos. The ad is full of redundant hype with obvious Chinglish wording. Properly functioning retractable gear on a P38 of that size is hard to believe. And the "ready to fly in just minutes", "super stable for beginner" and "high roll rate" make experienced guys cringe.

Personally I would wait and see what actually happens with the Banana Hobby P38.

Icky
Icky,

I must agree 110% with your thoughts!

I will wait and see those that pre-ordered it as it has been my experience that pre-installed mechanical retracts are very cheap and had one model's cheap plastic retracts collapse if you did not kiss the ground with super gentle manners

This larger model requires something real robust no matter the final flight weight and yes, this model is not for those with less than expert experience, IHMO.

We shall see.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,742 Posts
I installed the props tonight. The included three blade props look pretty cool. I did some preliminary taxiing around in the street out front. Another hour or two hooking up the elevator and rudder linkages and mine will be ready for maiden. I am hoping that happens tomorrow morning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:43 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,508 Posts
Saaaaaweet Jon! Can't wait to check out some in flight pics/video. My father may buck up for one of these.

Speaking of JPower--did you all see that very nice JPower 50+" wingspan Cessna 182 on BH's site? With the sale going on it was only like $115 ready to go. Make someone an awesome scale'ish bird that appears to have plenty of zip

http://www.bananahobby.com/1813.html

Oh, I see the sale is over and it's back to BIG dollars...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:30 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
I installed the props tonight. The included three blade props look pretty cool. I did some preliminary taxiing around in the street out front. Another hour or two hooking up the elevator and rudder linkages and mine will be ready for maiden. I am hoping that happens tomorrow morning.
Good luck Jon! I hope you are an Expert.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:43 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,470 Posts
How long does it take to become an expert ?? as I would like to fly one some day !!
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:44 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
I'm bummed that the canopy is smoked, though! I really prefer clear canopies, even if it means seeing some of the electronic innards.
I don't think the canopy is smoked. In the first photo's it looks clear.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:05 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
How long does it take to become an expert ?? as I would like to fly one some day !!
You can fly it the day after me when i become one LMAO!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:27 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,742 Posts
Oh oh, I need to be an expert to fly this one?! I didn't get THAT memo!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:28 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
Good luck Jon! I hope you are an Expert.
MERLIN
He sure is!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:58 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,742 Posts
I guess maybe I need another 24K posts to make it to that level then?

The canopy is not smoked.
RCG Plus Member