HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:21 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
How is it that you get to do a review 6-9 months before a product is available to the public and others that do reviews from Horizon and such don't get to do reviews till 6-9 months after the product went forsale to the public. It just isn't fair I tell you. Please tell me that we can all get our money together and buy a bulk shipment to avoid the 3rd party expenses.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,748 Posts
Horizon makes the decisions as to WHEN they send review products out. Occasionally they send a product out before it is available to the public (E.G. New Micro Mustang) but typically they do it a month or two after it is available to the public, In all fairness to them, I personally believe it is because they WANT the public to get them first, even if it means they have none left on the initial container full to send out for review? Horizon is VERY customer oriented. And you also have to factor in the time it takes for the reviewer to complete his work, which in my case is sometimes unacceptably long.

I do not know if we will ever be able to "go around" the big distributors, as you propose? Products manufactured in Asia can cost less but getting them here can be a bit pricey as you know. The bigger distributors have channels and mechanisms in place to move large quantities of goods from there to here via container, AKA, by ship . It is more affordable that way but that journey takes a while too. You or I do not want to wait THAT long if we lay the cash on the barrel up front, so we have to resort to EMS and pay the higher freight costs.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:12 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Oh I know how the reviews go. It always seems I like a plane I want to see first never happens and a plane I would buy regardless of the review gets one way before we even see the thing on the market.

I do know how pricey it is to get products here from over seas but it is still cheaper than buying from 3rd parties here. I bought a Pitts Special and 5 batteries for $14 more than what a local dealer offers here. That is with ems shipping and their cost without shipping. The mechanisms that are put in place is real simple. The product cost X and the shipping costs Y which equals Z for a total cost. This is usually the cost we would get from Hobby City when we order ourselves. What local distributors do here is they pay Z to get them here, then they ad what ever percentage of profit they wish to tack on to the cost of the product. On top of that they then charge us shipping to our house. Their Z may be a little less due to them buying in bulk but I am willing to bet it is not much less. So in the end we end up paying $100 or more in extra cost due to the middle man. I only hope that Hobby City will carry this plane because I will skip it if I am forced to be taken advantage of financially. I bet that if Hobby City were to carry this plane it would be in the realm of $175 - $200 + $40 ems shipping and in a PNP setup so we can add the RX and batteries we want to use and still come out cheaper. Anyway this is all speculation till we see it offered at Hobby City. Overall though the plane looks good and I hope to see the review soon since I may be living vicariously through everyone here.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:40 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,692 Posts
Orion,
I agree with you on many points there, except that I don't think it is just the 3rd parties in the states adding on "profit." They are out to make a buck, for sure, but part of that requires infrastructure (stores or warehouses or even websites), employees, overhead, etc. Labor is relatively cheap in Hong Kong and in China, for better or for worse.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:02 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Well the percentage they tack on covers their cost and profit. Lets face it, a place like Banana Hobby has 1 warehouse and a staff of 50 at best. If you are making $100 above product cost per item and you have 100 different items and you are selling multiples of those items in a month I bet 1 maybe 2 months of their mark up will cover a years worth of expenses and the rest is profit. Now the numbers I used are just round numbers based on the cost difference of 1 plane and I do know that other products cost differently but this is just a simplified example. Its all about volume and if they take enough of us for a ride then they can afford cheap labor in a SoCal location. Anyway, enough of this, I am more interested in the plane then the economics of it all. Looking at the photos from Jon it looks like it has carbon rods in the wings but it looks to also have the same issue the e-flight one did. The carbon spar joins in the middle and under a load this will fold right up. I hope that more photos will reveal another carbon rod to be put in after the wings are attached to the gondola. If not then this could be a problem considering the weight of the retracts added in.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
. Lets face it, a place like Banana Hobby has 1 warehouse and a staff of 50 at best.
50 Employees at BH?

Wow thats pretty impressive. Impressive when you consider Ultrafly had six <6> employees total.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:25 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,477 Posts
I thought BH only had two employees...Pete and the girl that answers the phone !!
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:29 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. LOL! I have never needed their customer service so I don't know who is answering the phone but there was a guy that visited there once and took photos and such and it looked like a nice business office and I think he mentioned like a room of 10 employees answering phones. If this is the case I was just figuring high for warehouse workers and accountants and such.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,477 Posts
Quote:
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. LOL! I have never needed their customer service so I don't know who is answering the phone but there was a guy that visited there once and took photos and such and it looked like a nice business office and I think he mentioned like a room of 10 employees answering phones. If this is the case I was just figuring high for warehouse workers and accountants and such.
OP..with all the negative comments I hear about them, it sounded like he works out of his garage.. wow 10 people...

Either way I still want one !!
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:39 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,917 Posts
Price

Quote:
I bet that if Hobby City were to carry this plane it would be in the realm of $175 - $200 + $40 ems shipping and in a PNP setup so we can add the RX and batteries we want to use and still come out cheaper. Anyway this is all speculation till we see it offered at Hobby City. Overall though the plane looks good and I hope to see the review soon since I may be living vicariously through everyone here.
Mine from Banana Hobby was less than $200.00 including shipping. Sounded like a good deal to me.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:47 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I thought BH only had two employees...Pete and the girl that answers the phone !!
LICobra,

Heck, I thought BH only had two employees...Pete and the girl that sometimes answers the phone !!

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,748 Posts
I'll work to get mine built and in the air ASAP. THAT will be the true test of the plan IMO.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:19 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Mine from Banana Hobby was less than $200.00 including shipping. Sounded like a good deal to me.
I just went and looked and sure enough, You can select to leave everything out but the PNP plane and you can get it for $193.10 shipped. But that is with the pre order discount so it will be $30 more once they actually get these in hand.
Last edited by Orion Pax; Nov 28, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:30 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
I just went and looked and sure enough, You can select to leave everything out but the PNP plane and you can get it for $193.26 shipped. But that is with the pre order discount so it will be $30 more once they actually get these in hand.
Tell me you did not want the 2.4 Radio!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:06 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Nope, if you leave everything out it is $169 + 23 shipping.