HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
689 Posts
Yeah, they are actually 'RC Lander" retracts so very solid and nice movement. I did pop them open and check for any metal fillings that some had mentioned but found none so just put some moly grease on the gears and put them back together.

Oh, the motors I used are:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29824

with the Accessory kit:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17446

Then fitted Master Airscrew propeller 10x7 9x7 Normal and Pusher so Counter Rotating setup.

I will try and get some pics up in a day or two.
DeathWarmedUp is online now Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Last edited by DeathWarmedUp; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
I'd love to try 10x7 but the tips of 9x7s are exactly 0.66" from the ground, and less than 3/16" clearance is a bit close. Could fit a larger front wheel and carve out the wheel well I suppose.

Surprised I hadn't seen anything on those RC Lander retracts before.
How much play would say there is in the trunnion-to-frame junction?
Is the nose-wheel strut fairly tight?

The metal-trunnion retracts from PW-RC are quite 'tight' i.e. virtually no play, but the steerable version has what I consider quite a bit of play.
The fixed front gear cover I'm making now will have a channel to hold the front strut securely, at least in the side-to-side directions.

The only thing I'd be concerned about with the RC Lander set is not being able to buy them individually(?) if (when) one craps out which just about every 'cheap' retract WILL do eventually. Probably sooner rather than later...
But if the RC Landers are in fact more reliable/durable than the plastic-housing cheapos then it wouldn't be such a concern.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:46 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
689 Posts
Kurt,

Ok, bit of a mistake. I have 9x7 MA Props on her. Got confused as I bought 10x7, 9x7 and 8x6 in counter rotating for my three twins (Mosquito, P-38 and scratch build ME110) so sorry about that. Just took photos which I will put up on next post.
DeathWarmedUp is online now Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
thanks for posting the pics D. I like the looks of those gear, and if the retract mechanism is more robust than the typical black-plastic case ones all the better.

My "Cutie" is, for all practical purposes, done.
With only a bit more time than it took to craft fixed gear doors I probably could have fitted tiny servo-driven ones, but I'll be happy if the gear work for 20+ flights.
Broke out the airbrush to add some smoke trails from the guns and a few splashes of "oil" here and there. Followed with two coats of Testors semi-gloss clear laquer to smooth everything out.

Also broke down and bought a Dubro prop&spinner balancer: http://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-499-Tru...ords=dubro+499

$30 ain't cheap, and it probably costs them <$10 to make em, but the reviews are right this thing works great. One of my MA 9x7 props was seriously out of balance, due probably in large part to the yellow paint I added to the tips. After about 15 minutes of sanding, checking, sanding, checking, etc etc it's now dead nuts perfectly balanced. Did the spinners as well, only one required a small drop of CA. Now both motors spool up to WOT with nary a shudder.

Still likely a month out from the first flight of 2013 but I do have a few other planes that need some TLC as well.....
tally ho!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:06 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,055 Posts
Nice looking Kurt!
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
826 Posts
Really like the fixed gear doors, might have to borrow that idea for my V1, have to look and see if i still have the gear doors laying around somewhere.
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:23 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Kurt, is it possible to use larger tires on those gear legs?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:57 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Thanks gadory. I continue to be impressed by how well the V2 kit fits together and looks in general.

Peter - I made the covers by laminating two sheets of 1/32" basswood around a spray can to form the curve. Would have been much easier to cut out the stock plastic covers, but these are pretty thin and brittle so they'd require some kind of reinforcement.

TX - definitely possible. The stock ones (35mm) are held on by a 3mm button-head screw. Something like 45mm is probably about scale(?), would just need a longer axle screw and depending on the new wheel's offset probably a spacer.

You can see in the product photo that the stock wheel's hub is basically flush with the tire's edge on the inside.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19430

These wheels may be a good fit, would require some hogging out of the wheel wells though
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1_75inch.html
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:22 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,139 Posts
You can't go to scale size wheels because there isn't enough room in the fuselage--look at a cutaway of the real thing and there is basically no room left when the tire is retracted. But a 2.75 inch or 3 inch should fit...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Last edited by pmisuinas; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
302 Posts
I'm in the process of fitting the FMS P-38 undercarriage to my J-Power at the moment and its not a bad size. I'll take some photos today and post them up.
But pmisuinas is right you cant put too much bigger without cutting out severe amounts of foam. I also moved my nose leg back as it is too far forward on the stock V1 setup (not sure about V2) and the FMS doors are longer and more scale for all 3 wheels too.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Orion wrote a nice post in the FMS thread on wheel sizes:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16

Even if it is true to "scale", and even if they could be made to fit, 4" main wheels would look cartoonishly huge IMO.
The ~1.5" ones currently on mine do look small but since I fly off a paved runway they'll work fine.
Would like to see 2.25 or even 2.5" ones on the alloy struts though. May order up a couple in my next HK shopping trip.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:35 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I'm going for 4" mains
Call me a sucker for big tires, but the planes I fly for a living need them...not to mention big tires make anything look MANLY and DIGNIFIED.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
302 Posts
I have some 4" mains for my 1600mm P-47 and i just put them beside the boom of the P-38 - they arent even going to be inside the foam...
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:17 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
they arent even going to be inside the foam...