HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Can anyone post a link to a detailed build for this plane? I just got mine yesterday and the wiring (especially through the wings) is ridiculous. I think I may be in over my head...
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
bunkx9...check out DriverRX8's build, it's not really a step by step reference like you were wanting but there's something that'll help with your wiring.
Look at the access hatch that was cut out of the bottom of the gondola, directly underneath the cockpit.
Makes wiring MUCH easier!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785976

Here's the picture in reference:

You can make it removable as he did, tape over the seams, or glue it back into place.
I would recommend it as pictured, but second choice would be to tape it back on.
If you ever need to get back into there, cutting through tape is a lot easier than cutting through a CA or epoxy seam.
The tape isn't noticeable on either paint scheme, especially if you use the satin finished scotch tape.

Some tips...take a flat head screwdriver and gently push each individual wire into the channel until it seats firmly.
Go in sections and tape over the wires to keep them in place.
Once you get them into the gondola, all you have to do is plug them into your RX.
Some people twist the wires to keep them from bunching and tangling up, I tried it but there wasn't really enough length to the wires for it to be effective.
Basically, I hooked everything up unceremoniously and shoved everything in until it all fit
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
Can anyone post a link to a detailed build for this plane? I just got mine yesterday and the wiring (especially through the wings) is ridiculous. I think I may be in over my head...
Bunkx9 - are you assembling a V1 or V2 model?

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Fear not! Gear, spars, and painting aside, assembly itself was pretty straight forward. Wiring was pretty simple, actually. On my v1, all the connectors had labels on them, and with wires stacked neatly on top of each other, the wiring channel in the wing was plenty big. I used a tongue depressor to push the wires in place. I was thinking during the final assembly that if I was building it stock, this would be pretty easy.

You must do something about the gear, and cutting a hatch in the lower gondola is a must, but unless you are doing other mods, don't worry about it. Looking at the string of posts, and seeing all that wire is pretty intimadating, but its only as hard as you make it.

I'm not at home now, but when I get there, I'll try to find the wiring layout I made to get it all straight in my head. I'll post it if it will help, but I wouldn't sweat that part of the build...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Wiring Diagram

Quote:
So I made up this guide to making all the wiring connections, but Iím not sure if it provides clarity or confusion. My kit didnít come with 3-way connectors, but my E-flite retracts did, so I used that to connect my gear, and I used two ďYĒ connectors for the rudders/steering. My diagram shows how to use either setup to connect three servos, and shows how to connect a ďYĒ connector, as well.

All the connectors and wires on my kit had little paper tags with numbers on them, so really all you have to do is mate connectors with like-numbers on them.
One word of caution: Donít go by the numbers on the connectors when you plug the wires into your receiver. I either used the wrong servos for the elevators and rudders, or the numbers on the cables didnít correspond with the slot number on my receiver. The servo and cable for my elevator was tagged ď2Ē, but the elevator slot on my receiver is numbered as slot 1. Vice-versa for the rudder. In any case, once things are fully assembled, make sure that the right sticks move the right surfaces in the right direction (right stick full right makes right aileron go UP!)!

One other piece of advice: If your transmitter has multiple model programming capability, make sure you have the correct model selected when you fly. Some of my planes are programmed to have aileron servos reversed, and some do not. On more than one occasion I found the ailerons going the wrong direction in my pre-takeoff check, and discovered that I somehow had the wrong model selected on my transmitter!

There is probably too much detail in the attachment to see by looking at the preview when you click on the attachment, so be sure to open the attachment in a new window so you can read and see it all! Iíve also added this to my blog at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23482627
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Anybody have a couple of stock props and spinners they want to sell???...PM me...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
Excellent diagram.......
bizjet23 is offline Find More Posts by bizjet23
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Thank you all for the replies!!!!! Its the V2 model, and my first warbird purchase. I have a few mini EDFs and a Super Cub w/ brushless upgrades. This will be my first plane that requires some major assembly/wiring. Thanks to you guys, I'm managing to figure things out, slowly and carefully.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Last edited by bunkx9; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
Where are folks buying these from these days?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Where are folks buying these from these days?
Good question! Killerplanes.com and Hobby King have them listed as out of stock. Anybody know if they are now out of production?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
Good question! Killerplanes.com and Hobby King have them listed as out of stock. Anybody know if they are now out of production?
At the moment I would say Killer Planes is the only one I know of for sure that is selling the J-Power V2 P-38....Hobby King is selling the V1 models. Not real sure what Nitro Planes and Bananna Hobby are selling....but I do know they are NOT the J-Power P-38.

There must be other marketers selling the J-Power V2 P-38's though...

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,570 Posts
Can anyone let me know what would be good motor upgrades from HK?
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:51 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
So I made up this guide to making all the wiring connections, but Iím not sure if it provides clarity or confusion. My kit didnít come with 3-way connectors, but my E-flite retracts did, so I used that to connect my gear, and I used two ďYĒ connectors for the rudders/steering. My diagram shows how to use either setup to connect three servos, and shows how to connect a ďYĒ connector, as well.

All the connectors and wires on my kit had little paper tags with numbers on them, so really all you have to do is mate connectors with like-numbers on them.
One word of caution: Donít go by the numbers on the connectors when you plug the wires into your receiver. I either used the wrong servos for the elevators and rudders, or the numbers on the cables didnít correspond with the slot number on my receiver. The servo and cable for my elevator was tagged ď2Ē, but the elevator slot on my receiver is numbered as slot 1. Vice-versa for the rudder. In any case, once things are fully assembled, make sure that the right sticks move the right surfaces in the right direction (right stick full right makes right aileron go UP!)!

One other piece of advice: If your transmitter has multiple model programming capability, make sure you have the correct model selected when you fly. Some of my planes are programmed to have aileron servos reversed, and some do not. On more than one occasion I found the ailerons going the wrong direction in my pre-takeoff check, and discovered that I somehow had the wrong model selected on my transmitter!

There is probably too much detail in the attachment to see by looking at the preview when you click on the attachment, so be sure to open the attachment in a new window so you can read and see it all! Iíve also added this to my blog at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23482627
Very nice diagram, certainly make things easier for noobies to follow, nose steering had to go on a seperate channel for most people so that it can be stopped when retracted and trimmed out separate from rudder.
Diagram should be pinned to start of this forum for convenience.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Good idea, Nigel. I don't know how to do that, but I'll figure it out when I have a chance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
At the moment I would say Killer Planes is the only one I know of for sure that is selling the J-Power V2 P-38....Hobby King is selling the V1 models. Not real sure what Nitro Planes and Bananna Hobby are selling....but I do know they are NOT the J-Power P-38.

There must be other marketers selling the J-Power V2 P-38's though...

TwistedGrin
My Hobby King Version 1 was labeled as "XUAV" on the box. No other indication of branding. The manual doesn't have any branding in it, either.
RCG Plus Member