HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User
03svtsnakevert's Avatar
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
03svtsnakevert - did you also upgrade both ESC's as well?
TwistedGrin
No we are running the stock escs
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:14 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
DriverRX8's Avatar
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
"Clean Blisters" On Their Way

Sorry... Deleted post: Wrong forum!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DriverRX8; Nov 08, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
I really like this plane...having fun with it. I am intrigued at how the electronics are working though....What really has me pondering is how this plane having two motors and all the servo's is able to perform with a smaller battery than my other planes.....I am flying with a 3S 3000mAh battery on the P-38 and 4S 2700mAh battery on my single motor planes.

How can one battery operating Two ESC's, 9 servo's, Two motors still get six minute flight times...wherease another plane with One BESC, six servo's, One motor also gets six minute flights on a larger cell battery.

I get the amp draw, bigger motor, bigger prop more pull more battery drain on our more powerful single motor planes.

Has anyone done an amp draw on the P-38 motors in a static test? These motors and the props must be very efficient ....perhaps the two motors combined are providing way more thrust to weight ratio for this plane than we realize

Just thinking....

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
I am intrigued at how... this plane... is able to perform... How can one battery operating Two ESC's, 9 servo's, Two motors still get six minute flight times...

TwistedGrin
Tell me about it!

I was thinking the same thing myself this morning after putting my P-38 through it's paces, and having it return home with energy left in the pack.

Whatever it's doing, I'm glad it is able, because I love seeing this plane lumber across the field in a low pass. The only thing I wish for is retracts where the gear could actually stand up to our grass field.

But in reality, there aren't many planes, even high dollar ones, at this scale, that can meet the test. Maybe a Habu or the new version PZ Corsair, equipped with Eflite $$$ retracts on it.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Tell me about it!

I was thinking the same thing myself this morning after putting my P-38 through it's paces, and having it return home with energy left in the pack.

Whatever it's doing, I'm glad it is able, because I love seeing this plane lumber across the field in a low pass. The only thing I wish for is retracts where the gear could actually stand up to our grass field.

But in reality, there aren't many planes, even high dollar ones, at this scale, that can meet the test. Maybe a Habu or the new version PZ Corsair, equipped with Eflite $$$ retracts on it.
Agree with you Tracknoob,

Regarding the retract's: So far my P-38 V-2 Lightning landing gear is holding up just fine on our R/C clubs grass field....My nose gear has had some issues resulting from a pancake landing...but other than a small tweak to them....the V2 landing gear are holding up just fine!! (I am refraining from taxi-ing though - trying to nurse the nose gear as much as possible).

My usual operation is to walk out on the runway, place the plane on the grass and take off. Retrieve the plane from the runway upon landing...no taxiing around.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
I wanna fly today stuck at work, by the time i get home its dark arrrrgh!

Come on Sat! Cant wait to fly some more sorties with this bird.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is online now Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
I wanna fly today stuck at work, by the time i get home its dark arrrrgh!

Come on Sat! Cant wait to fly some more sorties with this bird.

Ubootwo
If there was ever a solid reason for a "like" button on RCGroups, it's Ubootwo's post above. Couldn't agree more.
Oboc is offline Find More Posts by Oboc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
WestTexasKing's Avatar
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Twisted...it's actually pretty simple.

-The P38 is a very efficient airframe
-Single engine 1400mm warbirds are bigger in actual size than twins (it's a scale thing)
-Twins have a tendency to be more efficient at lower power settings for some reason
-It's foam

So, whether you have a 1400mm warbird or a 1400mm fun plane, the P38 is likely to outperform either.
A Cessna 310 (twin) will fly just as fast as a Piper Comanche (single engine), but it'll burn less fuel...or will fly faster on the same fuel burn.
The 310 is bigger and has more drag, but for some reason it's just more efficient about it.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Twisted...it's actually pretty simple.

-The P38 is a very efficient airframe
-Single engine 1400mm warbirds are bigger in actual size than twins (it's a scale thing)
-Twins have a tendency to be more efficient at lower power settings for some reason
-It's foam

So, whether you have a 1400mm warbird or a 1400mm fun plane, the P38 is likely to outperform either.
A Cessna 310 (twin) will fly just as fast as a Piper Comanche (single engine), but it'll burn less fuel...or will fly faster on the same fuel burn.
The 310 is bigger and has more drag, but for some reason it's just more efficient about it.
Aye WTK,

I readily see and witness your point...I just knew the P-38 would suffer flight times much shorter and use more battery...when just the opposite is physically proven....really interesting.

Love the plane too

Thanks again for posting up...
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
I am flying a Killer Planes Carbon Fiber eqquiped JPower P-38 V2.....flies really great...lots of inquiries and positive remarks from the pits area at the local R/C club field.

I am just wondering what your experiences are flying this bird in winds above ...say 10mph. I noticed my bird was bouncing quite abit this Saturday in winds at around 8-11mph....perhaps even a little more squirrly in the higher wind turbulence around 50ft high.

Just curious

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered User
03svtsnakevert's Avatar
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Ours seems to handle the wind a little better and that could be due to the larger motors and cr props
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
Ours seems to handle the wind a little better and that could be due to the larger motors and cr props
10:4 I am spinning Counter Rotoating MasterScrew props from stock ESC/Motors...each prop spinning inward towards the center fuselage

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
10:4 I am spinning Counter Rotoating MasterScrew props from stock ESC/Motors...each prop spinning inward towards the center fuselage

TwistedGrin
Did you change the offset angle on the RH motor?
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Did you change the offset angle on the RH motor?
Gohmer - I thought about the offset angle of thrust...after some research and meditation on it....found no reason to change the offset. The plane flies markedly "more" stable after reversing the RH motor...flat-stable-true. P-Factor/Tork/Yaw is .......not present or severily mitigated.

No need for further enhancements...however I have no emperical data or experience of course to see if the thrust offset has any additional results!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
WestTexasKing's Avatar
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
It's really amazing that the P38 has negligible P-factor even without CR props, I can only imagine how much more stable it would be if they were in opposing rotation.
I was expecting to get the same results from my new twin, a DH.88, but it's not quite as stable even though the props are already CR from the manufacturer.
P-factor isn't an issue with the Comet, and a rudder gyro makes it by far the easiest taildragger I've owned to take off and land.
The problem is that the thrust line is so much lower than the center of gravity (nose to tail CG) that increases in thrust make it pitch upward.
You can't even do a proper hammerhead with any kind of power, it just flips over on its back.
Power on stalls are downright scary since it doesn't nose back over on its own, not even with full down elevator.
It hangs in that nose up condition until it tip stalls and enters a spin.
The only way to exit the spin is to reduce power with full down elevator.
She flies splendidly so long as you have plenty of airspeed.

You guys have no idea how much better the P38 is by comparison!
It's still one of the most docile and predictable twins I've ever flown...
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby P-51 w/2.4 GHz Tx/Rx cypherpix Electric Warbirds 9 Nov 26, 2008 04:32 PM
For Sale (NEW) F-Model P-38 Cowls Orion Pax Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Oct 30, 2008 08:22 PM
New Product New Phase 3 P-38 = EMI P-38 repackaged? shschon Electric Warbirds 16 Nov 25, 2007 12:57 PM
Discussion New E-flite P-38 pda4you Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 13, 2007 12:04 AM
New Product New web shop, New product *EMI P-38 Forked Tail Devil * infinityhobby Product Announcements 60 Nov 03, 2006 07:48 PM