HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:03 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
My motors are in, My motors are in!!!!

Will not be able to fly for a week...still very excited to get my bird back in the air with a pair of fresh motors and fresh ESC's.

I had the same concerns regarding the wiggly nacelles as MikeSP, however my P-38 flew nice and flat in this condition. I suggest refraining from hot dogging this plane until you are absolutely sure it is completely dialed in....check your motors after each flight...ensure they are free spinning and have no loosy goosy regarding the motor mounts.

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
Congrats on the motors coming in! I also won't be able to fly until Sunday. Until then, I'll just have to admire it. I hope your re-maiden goes smoothly!
MikeSp is offline Find More Posts by MikeSp
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
Registered User
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Just in-case anyone has any interest with the rickety retracts fix.

If you remove complete retract assembly, remove bottom pin, place small washer inside then re-install the pin the retract becomes very stable with no wobble.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:30 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
OK Fellas,

I just replaced my motors and recalibrated both ESC's so my motors spin up and throttle up together in sync. I also put an extra washer between my spinner back-plate and motor shaft plate...this provides a little more gap between the nacelle and the spinner back-plate. I am trying to get a little more cooling effort going. I do have a larger gap on the right side spinner than the left by 1.3mm so I hope this does not make any difference. I am running counter rotating props.

My first four flights were pretty much flat smooth and extremely docile....only one flight was executed at over 50% throttle at any time....so I have a question:

Are you guys able to fly your P-38's very much at over 50% throttle without melting your motor mounts? (3S 11.1v LiPo batteries)

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,600 Posts
What motors and ESCs did you put in?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:01 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
What motors and ESCs did you put in?
All stock, completely stock

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:03 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Twisted,

Do u have v1 or v2, and how does this fly compared to the spit n p51? I have yet to be able to maiden as the weather has sucked the past 7 weeks! i am hoping this is not the end of the season for me.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:44 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
Twisted,

Do u have v1 or v2, and how does this fly compared to the spit n p51? I have yet to be able to maiden as the weather has sucked the past 7 weeks! i am hoping this is not the end of the season for me.

Ubootwo
Flying a V2 model....so far I have only been able to fly my P-38 at an ubra docile flat and gentle style....my origninal motors got hot and melted my motor mounts....ordered a second plane & installed those motors to my original P-38..the new replacement motors ran hot also. I have now separated my spinner away from the Nacelles and opened up each Nacelle surrounding the motors. I ordered four new motors and set two of them into my original P-38 and changed out one ESC to the right motor side which was getting hot, the left motor would not free spin very well. so in total I have replace both motors and one ESC.

I can say for now...this bird is completly different from the P-51 and the Spitfire...no comparison. I can fly the P-51 around like a rag doll and the Spitfire flies on rails as well. I have not been able to fly my P-38 in any kind of aggressive or sport style yet due to my motor issues. Even if I had no motor issues, just the size of the plane and its twin motor set up... I understand the flight characteristics of the P-38 will be much different....longer wider rolls are expected and a much larger loop pattern. My P-38 did not appreciate winds over 10MPH and tendend to crab and weathervane on me....however I was NOT able to fly my P-38 over 50% throttle as for whatever reason my motors were getting hot. I hope to continue dialing in and fly the bird a little more agressive ....at least fly it a little more than just above stall speeds.

So far my impression is that this P-38 is a trainer...not a sport flyer...

One of the more positive factors of enjoyment to the P-38 is take offs and landings....the tri-gear set up is a very good set up for grass operations...

My 2cents so far,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:58 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Flying a V2 model....so far I have only been able to fly my P-38 at an ubra docile flat and gentle style....my origninal motors got hot and melted my motor mounts....ordered a second plane & installed those motors to my original P-38..the new replacement motors ran hot also. I have now separated my spinner away from the Nacelles and opened up each Nacelle surrounding the motors. I ordered four new motors and set two of them into my original P-38 and changed out one ESC to the right motor side which was getting hot, the left motor would not free spin very well. so in total I have replace both motors and one ESC.

I can say for now...this bird is completly different from the P-51 and the Spitfire...no comparison. I can fly the P-51 around like a rag doll and the Spitfire flies on rails as well. I have not been able to fly my P-38 in any kind of aggressive or sport style yet due to my motor issues. Even if I had no motor issues, just the size of the plane and its twin motor set up... I understand the flight characteristics of the P-38 will be much different....longer wider rolls are expected and a much larger loop pattern. My P-38 did not appreciate winds over 10MPH and tendend to crab and weathervane on me....however I was NOT able to fly my P-38 over 50% throttle as for whatever reason my motors were getting hot. I hope to continue dialing in and fly the bird a little more agressive ....at least fly it a little more than just above stall speeds.

So far my impression is that this P-38 is a trainer...not a sport flyer...

One of the more positive factors of enjoyment to the P-38 is take offs and landings....the tri-gear set up is a very good set up for grass operations...

My 2cents so far,
TwistedGrin
TY for the insight, i am still working on the v1, man what a build, not a arf but rather a NotRTF. Any how i like to tinker and this build def requires it.

i will def check motor/esc heat n c if i have the same issues, should be ready for this weekend maiden (if weather lets me).

Oh one more note, how the heck do you check roll on this plane? cg not a problem but the roll is baffling, do you stick a screw or something in the end of gondola then check from nose to end of gondola? I usually just use string on prop side n tail side to check roll but this is a diff critter.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
TY for the insight, i am still working on the v1, man what a build, not a arf but rather a NotRTF. Any how i like to tinker and this build def requires it.

i will def check motor/esc heat n c if i have the same issues, should be ready for this weekend maiden (if weather lets me).

Oh one more note, how the heck do you check roll on this plane? cg not a problem but the roll is baffling, do you stick a screw or something in the end of gondola then check from nose to end of gondola? I usually just use string on prop side n tail side to check roll but this is a diff critter.

Ubootwo
Good point, I have never checked balance from wing tip to wing tip via center axis. Certainly no help here either....interested to see what our compadres answer is to this....so

What is the best way to check center axis balance on the P-38?

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Good point, I have never checked balance from wing tip to wing tip via center axis. Certainly no help here either....interested to see what our compadres answer is to this....so

What is the best way to check center axis balance on the P-38?

TwistedGrin
Yes sir, goot question ya! Either put a screw in back of gondola, or maybe centered on elev but elev would b tricky if not perfect, plus there is no cf rod on that pc n will prolly snap in half! lol

Just curious if anyone has actually checked this as on the v1 it takes a lot of glue etc and i would think center axis would need to b checked, but heck i dont know, all i know is this def helps with non twin boom warbirds.

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is offline Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
OK fellas,
I need some collective mojo for my P-38's re-entry into active service to my squadron planned for this evening.

The field commander has laid down the law regarding standard operational procedures....no crashes, no hard landings and no burnt motors after sending two fine aircraft into the repair hangar in the same evening from crashes and one in for repairs due to overheated motors. the repair crew have had it....stating the P-38 deserves a better pilot....however reports are the local R/C field has not had any turkey buzzard chasing sorties in nearly two weeks...some one has to do this....

Oh yea - the squadron commander also admonished the film crew to get its arse in gear as well, so the field mechanic, pilot, navigator and film crew have all been warned...yikes...there is no navigator.....ahem

TwistedGrin
J-Power P-38 V2 / Counter rotating Master Air Screw Props / 3s 4000mA LiPo / stock motor / stock ESC / Killer Planes carbon fiber equipped / Spektrum DX6i - Spektrum AR7010
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Nov 01, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,161 Posts
Well my repairs flight went well,

However my take off was way wrong. I am so adjusted and predispositioned to counter P-Factor, Tork and Yaw which all three work to drive my warbirds hard left off of grass strip....I was inputing right rudder on this take off....well it took off hell bent for right!!! This P-38 with counter rotating props needs no right rudder input for take off!! Secondly I had my transmitter set on high rates to help get all the up elevator and right rudder if needed....this P-38 does not require the massive elevator up input as my other single enging planes do.

So my take off was nearly a galley straif....had I not just slammed it WOT and skyward to clear the pits area. Next time I will take off on low rates and little to no right rudder and send her straight down the runway for take off.

This flight was much better....I did fly at or near 50% ....able to bank via full aileron with speed without losing altitude at all during the complete wing tip knife edge turns. Landing was a piece of cake as it flies really slow and stable.

I do have a weak front gear door that is being sucked open during flight though....no biggie. I chose not to fly back to back sorties....checking the motors post flight for smell of burnt windings. I could sniff the motors were warm but not like before whereas they were totally fried and pungent with that awful odor.

I'll really check everything out in the hangar just to make sure all is OK for flight sortie number two and onward...so far so good.

My video shows the unexpected take off....the P-38 flew exactly as I was inputing .....right rudder input put it tracking right!!!! The video does not show a very good flight vantage point since I was flying a good 30yards from the GoPro on wide lense....but it is a video non the less.

Thanks for sending out the good mojo vibes for the squadron....the commander still has an evil eye for his goofy P-38 pilot....so the pilot here aint out of the dogpound yet - LOL Subsequent flight of the FW-190 was a tricky take off just clearing the runway edge weeds and.... the landing ending in a nose over....but at least the mechanics don't have any work to do tonight after this evenings sorties.

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin

R/C Electric P-38 Lightning 11-01-12 late evening flight .MP4 (0 min 0 sec)
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
WestTexasKing's Avatar
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Checking longitudinal balance on the P38 is about as simple as it gets.
Loot two pins from a sewing kit, push pins into nose and rear of gondola.
Tie fishing line (or any kind of string for that matter) to the pins and slowly lift the model off the table or ground.
You can also hang the P38 from a sawhorse or under a table if you want, but I prefer to do it by hand just in case the pins and fishing line don't accidentally fail while it's a few feet off the ground.
Note which wing is heavier and temporarily add weight in desired installation area (or remove weight if feasible) until wings are as close as possible to being balanced.
It's really simple to do and helps slow speed handling when ailerons become less effective.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:18 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Aussie1au's Avatar
Joined Nov 2012
12 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to RC Groups, but recently picked up a Hobby King P38 at our club auction for $20!! Great looking airplane, but some poor quality hardware installed which I figured could be easily fixed. Tried taxing on grass and the nose wheel collapsed, but no damage. I then tried strengthening the retract unit but really there is not much that can be done, so I had some small Robart mechanical lying around from a small balsa P51 that became "rekitted" when I pushed instead of pulling!! I also replaced the retract servo with a small digital metal gear type that only cost $7. Fitting the spruce retract mounts and the servo did not take long using hot glue. I used the existing strut but drilled it out to accept the 1/8th inch leg that fits into the Robart. The leg is also one inch longer which gives the model a scale nose up attitude. It can now take-off from a normal grass oval and I get great performance using 2400 3s LiPo, with 10 min flights.

http://www.robart.com/products/90-de...-main-retracts
Aussie1au is offline Find More Posts by Aussie1au
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby P-51 w/2.4 GHz Tx/Rx cypherpix Electric Warbirds 9 Nov 26, 2008 04:32 PM
For Sale (NEW) F-Model P-38 Cowls Orion Pax Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Oct 30, 2008 08:22 PM
New Product New Phase 3 P-38 = EMI P-38 repackaged? shschon Electric Warbirds 16 Nov 25, 2007 12:57 PM
Discussion New E-flite P-38 pda4you Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 13, 2007 12:04 AM
New Product New web shop, New product *EMI P-38 Forked Tail Devil * infinityhobby Product Announcements 60 Nov 03, 2006 07:48 PM