SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone with the version 1 P38 have or is using the Turnigy 9x to program the Rudder/nose mix, in order to shut down nose gear servo while retracted???

Looking to see how it was programmed to do so, i see for DX (spectrums but not onTurn).

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is online now Find More Posts by Ubootwo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Twisted...
I don't understand the heat issue.
Never had a problem with heat, full throttle in the summer didn't do any harm except eventually puff my battery packs.
Maybe you should replace the plastic with wood and give it a bit more air flow?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Flew ours today and the larger motors and cr props worked excellent...allowed the bird to fly very scale but it had a great amount of power when needed
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:12 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,068 Posts
Well I flew three batteries out tonight....same right side issue on another new motor....it will no longer free spin...acts like it is tightening up....I only flew just above stall speed..never got above 50% except for a 75% take off. I can smell the motor....

Maybe the stock ESC on that side is flakey....the left side motor is fine and free spins nicely..so I don't have an issue with it....I would love to fly this bird at 75% and do some rolls or loops...but my bird is sick right now.

Now the front landing gear will not deploy...it is binding up somehow....once I jiggle the gear and free it up...it will deploy. I flew the other two packs with the gear down and at maybe 35% throttle...just enought to float around.....and land. I have another V2 ready to go as a parts plane...but I am now out of the plexi-plastic mounts. I'll have to make my own motor mounts for the nacells and continue tweaking this bird.

I know this plane should be able to fly at least some at full throttle without burning up in flames mid air...you guys report no heat issues...so I have to find out what is going on with my right side motors.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone with the version 1 P38 have or is using the Turnigy 9x to program the Rudder/nose mix, in order to shut down nose gear servo while retracted???

Looking to see how it was programmed to do so, i see for DX (spectrums but not onTurn).

Ubootwo
Hi
Is this a stock 9x or do you have custom firmware like er9x installed?
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jun 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
Hi
Is this a stock 9x or do you have custom firmware like er9x installed?
Stock 9x

Ubootwo
Ubootwo is online now Find More Posts by Ubootwo
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,068 Posts
I found that three of my motor's for this plane have become very hard to spin around...as if they are seazing up!!! I have taken one motor apart and see there is a nice metal bearing on the font...while the back is just a metal on metal brass washer that spins on the motor case. The wee wittle bearings in the motor are just fine...when you place pressure on the front of the motor and roll the outrunner it is nice and smooth. Roll the outrunner without any pressure at all and it binds up. This may explain my heat issue....for four motor's!!

As I have taken apart the motors, I can not visually see any issues with the wee wittle captive spring lock or the brass spacer/washer on the back side of the motor/shaft. But I do think this is causing my motors to bind up ...not spin freely....causing friction and heat. I may have just got a bad run on some motors!!

So I will attempt to switch/swap these wee wittle small motor components to come up with a nice free spinning motor like my good left side motor is...

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:04 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
TG,
Your V2 motor experience sounds very odd. I've read this whole thread and don't recall anyone else having heating or binding issues. The odds of 4 bad motors has got to be rare. Hope mine will be better but will keep an eye on it.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,068 Posts
Well, I found all of my motors that would not free spin were binding just enough on the rear shaft bearing. The wee widdle washer is flat on one side and beveled on the other. The "beveled" side works better sitting on the motor bearing while the flat side faces reaward against the captive spring washer.....two of my burnt/smelly darkened motor winding motors freely spin...while two of my nice looking fresh smelling motor winding motors were binding. So I managed to swap a couple of these beveled washers and captive spring washer around and created a free spinning motor. Now it growls a little bit...noisy...but I know that it is coming from the rear of the motor..and amazingly it free spins very well - almost as free spinning as my good left side super quiet motor.

I swapped out the right side ESC for good measure and installed my overhauled motor, growly. One observation is growly "right" motor starts to spin up a bit later than the smooth "left" side motor. In fact I can spin the left motor up alone at minimal throttle input....However "Growly" does seem to reach a matching RPM once is starts up. So I ran up the motors to about 30% throttle to help break in the new motor for about 60seconds. Ending up with a short burst at 75% then cutting back all the way off to observe both propellers free spin almost identicly to a coasting dead stop.

Next I found my nose gear was binding in its retracted position. This binding prevented the nose gear to deploy. If I pressed down on the landing gear it free'd the bind and the nose gear would deploy every time. It would always retract......so rather than bend the landing gear strut or remove the servo.....I dremmeled out some foam to allow a little more area for the nose wheel to retract into the pod.....the wiring from the servo is now visable ....but in no danger. The nose gear now works everytime and the servo is no longer binding up due the the wheel striking the inside of the wheel well.

If the winds will calm down ...I will get to try this bird again and see if I can fly at least at 50% without melting anything.....at least it will have a nice "growl" to it.

So I managed three flights without over heating....although all three flights were just above stall speeds for the duration of the battery. I did find the right side plexi-plastic motor mount is nice and clear upon removal of the non free spinning motor....

Motor with Discolored burned windings & good bearing.....Motor with good widings, failed bearing

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
TG,
Your V2 motor experience sounds very odd. I've read this whole thread and don't recall anyone else having heating or binding issues. The odds of 4 bad motors has got to be rare. Hope mine will be better but will keep an eye on it.
Ya it is odd...I have ordered more spare motors..and hope to fly soon with these motors deployed.

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
TG,
Ya it is odd...I have ordered more spare motors..and hope to fly soon with these motors deployed.

I think I have everything else sorted out....I just need one good motor to match the left motor.

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubootwo View Post
Stock 9x

Ubootwo
Ahh, sorry, I have ER9X firmware on mine and its easy as to do. Maybe ask in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616229
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
V2 Nacelles Loose

Hello all,

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a V2 P-38 from KillerPlanes. Everything went together pretty nicely, but I am concerned about the nacelles. I've bolted them in as tight as I could, but they both are able to move a little to the left or right. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I was considering gluing them to the wing, but I didn't want to do this if it was not necessary.
MikeSp is offline Find More Posts by MikeSp
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
801 Posts
nacelle wiggle

The nacelles all wiggle on both my V2's. I was more concerned about the vertical fins as they flexed a bunch when rudder was applied, but they fly fine.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
20 Posts
Jpflyer, thanks! I'll have to take one last look at the vertical fins now . Otherwise, I think I'm ready to maiden this one!
MikeSp is offline Find More Posts by MikeSp