Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,055 Posts
no idea. Never had any trouble with the engines or mounts, so never really looked at them in detail. I must say, until now I haven't had any troubles with either engines or engine mounts or electronics with any of the models I have bought here in China. As far as electronics, it seems from what I've read in several forums here, what you get is not the same as what I get locally. I don't know what bird it was exactly, but I got it with a 40A. ESC while in the shops in the States were supplying it with a 30A .

Back on topic, I do check that engines are tight and props have enough cleareance for all my birds during assembly. On the P-38 I don't recall any problems and it was all a very straightforward build. Since then many flights, some crashes big and samall (no total destruction, but broken this, broken that) The motors are still tight, spinning freely, spinning together, no overheating, all good.

Probably shouldn't have written that. Now it will happen
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
no idea. Never had any trouble with the engines or mounts, so never really looked at them in detail. I must say, until now I haven't had any troubles with either engines or engine mounts or electronics with any of the models I have bought here in China. As far as electronics, it seems from what I've read in several forums here, what you get is not the same as what I get locally. I don't know what bird it was exactly, but I got it with a 40A. ESC while in the shops in the States were supplying it with a 30A .

Back on topic, I do check that engines are tight and props have enough cleareance for all my birds during assembly. On the P-38 I don't recall any problems and it was all a very straightforward build. Since then many flights, some crashes big and samall (no total destruction, but broken this, broken that) The motors are still tight, spinning freely, spinning together, no overheating, all good.

Probably shouldn't have written that. Now it will happen
Aye Gadorey...LOL no jinxes here or there or or anywhere...!!!!!
Thanks for the repsonse and many greased landings to you!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Aye 10:4 Houston Dude,

I usually just stab a 60amp BESC in everything...that way I don't have to keep a spreadsheet of what plane has what....some require 38-to-40amps...and just for a few bucks more a 60amp BESC is (way overkill) is not that much more expensive than a 45amp BESC...

Even so I think the 30amp ESC is indeed overkill on this bird since each one is not loading up at normal draws simply because the loads are split equally between the two motors.....at least this is what I am thinking is going on here too. However...this plane is drawing amps for 6servo's and 3 retracts. So I am wondering where the load is supplied from for all 9 of these electronics??

Can certainly say each ESC is responsible for the respective motor and both pull off of the same battery and receiver channel....but I can't mentally visualize what is taking the load for all the servos's.

TwistedGrin
Fort Worth - Tx
If your plane will take the weight the practice of sticking a 60 amp esc in everything is a good one!
The servos get their power from the becs and there is much discusion on whether 2 becs can supply twice as much power as one but I believe in general it not to be the case due to nature of 5v regulators having slightly diferent voltage outputs.
The best solution in this bird is a ubec which can supply its stated amps on 3 or 4 cells unlike the bec in the esc, fit one of these and disconnect the red wire from the escs.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
OK so Hobby King V1 motor is a size 1150 and the manual on my V2 says the motor is a 2830....now I can not beleive they more than doubled the motor power.

Which motor is the stronger of the two...1150 or the 2830?

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,729 Posts
TG,
Those numbers have to do with the physical size of the motor. 28 is diameter and 30 is length. The V1 is a bell motor and I'm a little unsure on how those numbers translate to measurement.

You have to find the wattage of the motor to measure power. Many look at kv but I've had 2 motors from same manufacturer with same kv but one had 1/2 the watts of the other...and 1/2 the performance of the other on the same prop.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
P-38's,

I now understand this plane is not meant to be a sport flyer simply due to heat issues....my motors were very hot just running a static test for battery times at 50% throttle sustained. Both motors got hot enough to discolor the winding wires, and the plexi-plastic motor mounts are distorted. I started to smell that musty burn odor at about 2:00min into my static bench test running at 50%!!!!!!.

Both ESC's were cool and the battery was cold but my motors displayed a reflective 200degrees on my temperatire reading gun...this was AFTER I shut down and got the spinner/props off in order to get a temperature shot of the motors.

I have run static test on all of my planes in order to find battery loads and flight time settings to start out with. None of them got anywhere near temperatures of my P-38 at 50% throttle!!

Therefore I removed some interior foam from the each nacelle that surrounds the motor in hopes it will perhaps add some cooling. I am also placing a washer between the motor shaft face and the backplate of the spinner...providing some separation of the spinner from the nacelle and motor.

I conclude my plane is just a coaster and as the operators manual states "only 30% throttle is needed to keep the plane in the air". So I am pretty sure at least on my rig...it will never see WOT but for a short burst and never be flown at more than 50% throttle or less for any sustained times.

If any of you have found a stronger motor that makes a direct fit...please advise....I'd like to upgrade both of my rig's. One pilot had mentioned on this thread the China distributors deploy larger more powerful motors...but I can not find a KV rating for our stock motors either V1 or V2 versions to get a bench mark to compare against.

This plane is such an interesting profile and a smooth flier....I am compelled to find a way to beef it up and cool it down

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
TG,
Those numbers have to do with the physical size of the motor. 28 is diameter and 30 is length. The V1 is a bell motor and I'm a little unsure on how those numbers translate to measurement.

You have to find the wattage of the motor to measure power. Many look at kv but I've had 2 motors from same manufacturer with same kv but one had 1/2 the watts of the other...and 1/2 the performance of the other on the same prop.
Dude, I can concurr here...having quantified the same findings on the motors from my stock V2...one of the motors was very tight and would not free spin hardly at all.....and it would not create same RPM as the other motor. I checked the clasp on the backside of the "tight" motor and could not find any binding....while another motor from my #2 V2 has a motor that is out of balance...where as the motor outrunner housing has a gap as if the bearing is unseated or the shaft is bent.

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
We put larger motors on ours with counter rotating props...haven't flown it yet but it pulls like a freight train
03svtsnakevert...what is this larger motor that you found? Does it meet the same motor shaft size and did you have to make lots of modifications to mount it?

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Quote:
03svtsnakevert...what is this larger motor that you found? Does it meet the same motor shaft size and did you have to make lots of modifications to mount it?

TwistedGrin
Not many modifications at all....I believe the shaft size was the same...I'll check on the motors when I get back home
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
They are 900kv motors
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
They are 900kv motors
Thanks 03svtsnake,

Got in two flights this evening on the V2 P-38....both were flown at 50% throttle...thottle up higher only for a short burst at take off. Both very smooth docile flights....shot video but I need to translate them to U-tube for posting.

Second landing the front nose gear failed to deploy.....I found that one of the carbon fiber rods passing through the forward pod in the landing gear bay is not allowing that nose gear to retract 100%....the wheel hits that rod and is causing the landing gear to bind, thus not able to overcome that bind and reverse the worm gear the other rotation to deploy. It was a smooth landing if not for the front landing gear deployment failure as it just nugded down soft and straightway on the front belly.

I did smell plastic after the first and second flights....the right side motor stops spinning way faster than the left side....as if it has a brake on...but it spins up OK and gets to RPM's as fast as the left side motor....so I'll just fly this bird ubra gentle - very conservative and at no more than 50% throttle. Landings and take offs are a breeze.

I am concerned those motor mounts are getting hot, glazing, hardening and waiting to fail....I am thinking in the back of my mind that it is flying hot...So I am flying at near stall speeds ...just about all I can do to ensure it is not overheating from throttle at least.

Very interesting bird though......

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,132 Posts
Quote:
I am concerned those motor mounts are getting hot, glazing, hardening and waiting to fail....TwistedGrin
Sounds like you should cut replacements from 1/8" ply (the real stuff, not the light ply crap) and install those...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:36 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
We are finally taking ours back out today to re-maiden with the larger motors and counter rotating props
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:31 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
We are finally taking ours back out today to re-maiden with the larger motors and counter rotating props
Aye good luck 03svtsnakeavert,

I am very interested in your mods and want to keep track....modify with your set up pending your results....this is a great looking bird in the air...easy to land and take off. I would really like to beef it up and turn it into an LSP...."Lite Sport Plane".

It is nice to fly it around very gently....but I'd like to be able to fly it a little more aggressively without fear of another mid flight melt down.

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
Sounds like you should cut replacements from 1/8" ply (the real stuff, not the light ply crap) and install those...Pete M
Ya I hear you pmisuinas,

I am getting set up with tools that will alllow me to cut wood patterns....I'll have to counter sink the holes for the motor mount screws and use washer back plates on them...this will also put the motor out farther placing the spinner out from the nacelle thus eliminating my washer between the motor shaft butt and the spinner back plate.

After my second flight post inspections.....both motos pop when throttle up and backing off....I know it is those plexi-plastic mounts...the motor screw holes are allowing the motor to tork back and forth.

TwistedGrin