HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Thanks Twisted, that looks like a nice battery esp for the price.
So I assume you'll have to insert it through the canopy?
I haven't laid out the wiring for my V2 yet so still visualizing how things will look in there. Pretty spaghetti-like I'm sure LOL

Worrying to hear about the motor(s) coming off V2s. I upgraded the motors and mounts on my V1 but was hoping I could skip this on the V2. That clear plastic never did inspire me with much confidence however...
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,544 Posts
Servo reverser

As simple as this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17033
and only $1.99
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Thanks Twisted, that looks like a nice battery esp for the price.
So I assume you'll have to insert it through the canopy?
I haven't laid out the wiring for my V2 yet so still visualizing how things will look in there. Pretty spaghetti-like I'm sure LOL

Worrying to hear about the motor(s) coming off V2s. I upgraded the motors and mounts on my V1 but was hoping I could skip this on the V2. That clear plastic never did inspire me with much confidence however...
Aye Kurt, The batteries do insert through the canopy....very easy. I removed or rather "shaved" just a scoshe of foam on both sites to allow the battery to fit in with a little less "stress"...I did epoxy the center foam piece between the battery hatch and the canopy...but essentially this battery is a direct fit. The biggest bind is where the battery power leads come out of the side of the LiPo....again this is also minimal.

I am retrofitting to Master Airscrew props on both sides of course and have a pusher prop for the right side motor for counter rotation. I am finding that the Master Airscrew Prop is not as thick at the center base shaft section as the stock props are...thus an additional washer is requied between the big spacer, the stock washer and the nut. The threads on my motor shaft stop before they hit the spacer and washer that comes with the plane....I am using a plastic/nylon prop shaft insert that comes with the props as a third washer.

The wiring is not big deal....in fact it is very simple after you get it all together...just take your time.

Regarding the motors....yea I am a little nervouse about the motor mounts. I dismantled my other side and triple checked it...everything was pretty tight. However I have installed longer screws for each motor mounts nacelle plexi-pastic peice....each of those (there are two screws per nacelle) was kind of soft...but then again...this is NOT where my failure was.

Hopefully I will get to re-maided tomorrow evening with my repairs and try this bird out on the 4S batteries.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Adding more hardware is my last option. I'm just searching for a more "simple" solution that I also need in other planes too. I see lots of advices here on programming nose gear steering and differential motor so figured someone must have reversed the servo too. I'll ask over in the TX forum then.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
P-38's,

I am sure this question has been answered many times before somewhere within our 5,239 post's...so my apologies up front....

What is the Amp rating of the V2 Stock ESC's?
Is there any benifit of deploying higher rated Amp ESC's over stock ESC?
Is there any benefit of deploying higher rated Amp BESC's?

This plane is a hoot, great look in the air, fun to take off, fly and fun to land....so I would like to hop up a little bit more but not sure if higher rated BESC's would make any difference for 4S LiPo operations.

Thanks in Advance,
TwistedGrin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
reversing a servo is easy as long as you can solder, just swap the wires round on the motor, and swap the wire from the pot from one end to the other if I remember right, it's what I did on the tail servo cause mine came with no servos in it.
It was easy on a hxt900 anyway lol.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
P-38's,

I am sure this question has been answered many times before somewhere within our 5,239 post's...so my apologies up front....

What is the Amp rating of the V2 Stock ESC's?
Is there any benifit of deploying higher rated Amp ESC's over stock ESC?
Is there any benefit of deploying higher rated Amp BESC's?

This plane is a hoot, great look in the air, fun to take off, fly and fun to land....so I would like to hop up a little bit more but not sure if higher rated BESC's would make any difference for 4S LiPo operations.

Thanks in Advance,
TwistedGrin
Going to higher rated esc wont make it go any faster on their own, they will just run cooler and be more reliable.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Going to higher rated esc wont make it go any faster on their own, they will just run cooler and be more reliable.
Aye 10:4 Nigelsheffield,

Reliability longevity is exactly what I am shooting for....cooler is always better.

So a higher rated BESC may help to this effort....

What are the V2 stock ESC's rated at?

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Mine did not come with any but I put in decent 30 amp ones and they have been ok, you could put in 40 to be safe lol!
I think it comes with 30 amp esc though not sure how good they are, I use hobbywing ones and never had a problem!

Oh and I put in a ubec too rated at 3 amps or above will be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Just checked it comes with 30 amp esc.
If your gonna put 4 cells in then I would go for 40amp and a ubec.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Just checked it comes with 30 amp esc.
If your gonna put 4 cells in then I would go for 40amp and a ubec.
Negelsheffield,

Now I feel silly....the ESC size is plainly stated in the JPower Operating Instructions guide at 2 x 30Amp.....dddduuuhhhhhh

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
We all have moments like that lol.
I have not flown this plane for ages due to the field I fly from not being cut properly and I dont want to lose the retracts!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,755 Posts
Twisted,
From what people have been posting on here about amps on stock motor (V1 & V2), I believe it is lower than 18A so the stock 30A ESC is overkill. However, for a few grams more, you're much safer and can fly back to back to back on a hot day w/o worries. I'm waiting for some of my other planes to die then move their 30A over to this P-38. Then it'll get to be airborne.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Twisted,
From what people have been posting on here about amps on stock motor (V1 & V2), I believe it is lower than 18A so the stock 30A ESC is overkill. However, for a few grams more, you're much safer and can fly back to back to back on a hot day w/o worries. I'm waiting for some of my other planes to die then move their 30A over to this P-38. Then it'll get to be airborne.
Aye 10:4 Houston Dude,

I usually just stab a 60amp BESC in everything...that way I don't have to keep a spreadsheet of what plane has what....some require 38-to-40amps...and just for a few bucks more a 60amp BESC is (way overkill) is not that much more expensive than a 45amp BESC...

Even so I think the 30amp ESC is indeed overkill on this bird since each one is not loading up at normal draws simply because the loads are split equally between the two motors.....at least this is what I am thinking is going on here too. However...this plane is drawing amps for 6servo's and 3 retracts. So I am wondering where the load is supplied from for all 9 of these electronics??

Can certainly say each ESC is responsible for the respective motor and both pull off of the same battery and receiver channel....but I can't mentally visualize what is taking the load for all the servos's.

TwistedGrin
Fort Worth - Tx
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasKing View Post
Twisted, from the looks of the foam directly behind the motor mount, it appears that it was overheated.
That bubbly texture in the center of the nacelle is what foam looks like when exposed to way too much heat.
On top of that, it also looks like the motor mount screws seemed to have melted the plexi.
Are you sure that the screws broke out of the plexi or did they melt?

Good job taking it in without damage, I've had to do it a few times myself...more fun than a monkey full of barrels LOL
WestTexasKing,

You were right ..regarding the foam deformity on my nacelle post crash flight photo!!!! You are ubra observant. I checked both of my nacelle's post flight dissasembly and they are both the same (bubbled)...and I "thought" this was how I received my model. However....I ordered and received a second V2 model for parts and guess what.....both the new model nacelle's are smooth and flat...not bubbled up like my #1 P-38.

See photo's attached...my #1plane nacelle is bubbly, the new #2plane is smooth..no bubbly. This indicates that I may be running HOT or hot enough to distort the nacelle foam...!!!????? Eeeesh !!!!

I deployed a new motor of course to the (right) side....fired it up after setting it up for counter rotation with new pusher prop...noticed it would come on late and was visually not turning same RPM as left side....also the pitch (sound) of the motors were very different. As I killed the throttle the original (left) motor spins freely...the new (right) motor stops as if it has a brake on...taking the motor off...it was pretty hot!!!!! As I take it off the plane it does not free spin very well.

So I put in another new motor for the right side again...this one spins freely...fired it up with prop and ran it awhile on the bench (I never spin a motor without a prop). Sounds better, and free spins just fine just like the original left side motor.

I can not shoot motor temperatures with the spinners on...but as I disassembled the first new motor for the right side....I had an indicated 130degrees....this was about 3 to 4 minutes after shutdown.

So I wonder.....have any of you experienced your motors getting hot?
Have you noticed your nacelle's bubbled up behind the motor?

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin