HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,334 Posts
Killerplanes lists a bunch of spares for that plane and you can call or PM them as well.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,456 Posts
Aye - Will do .....I have been restraining myself from ordering one for a couple of weeks now....has to be a fun plane to fly. But would also like to keep it in the air with repairs and parts if needed....

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
too many planes
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
I would pull the trigger and purchase this one. Stock it flies fantastic and retro fitting parts is not a big deal. The stock landing gear is cheap so turn it into a belly lander. I would also lock tight the motors; the threaded nut can come loose. If you get the silver one it can serve as a under paint for a olive drab variant. Like all p-38s the twin booms are the weak point but can easily be fixed with a carbon spar. hope these ideas are helpful .... Matt
ww2birder is offline Find More Posts by ww2birder
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
208 Posts
This airplane with Matt's recommended beef-ups ...booms....horizontal stab....get rid of the gear and hand-launch...etc....it's super. I run the stock motors with Du-Bro 2 1/4 inch spinners and early ParkZone 2 bladed 10 X 8's from the FW-190, Spitfire, and P-51.....Those props are a dime a dozen and the plane performs and sounds spectacular with them......Steve....I'm unloading my stash of E-Flite P-38's in favor of the J-Power Bird.........$145.00 each plus S/H......Steve.....732-530-2061
eggsplurt is offline Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
628 Posts
Was working on mine on the bench this evneing and noticed engine #2 was pulsing a bit, I'm guessing I won't be flying it in the morning and should probably order some new motors. What are the best drop in replacement motors with minimal modding required? I've got a V1, running stock ESC and stock motors (changed to counter rotating) with MAS 9x7x3 puller/pusher props. I'd like to be able to just drop in some new motors and keep the stock spinners and still use the MAS props. Thanks for any help!

p.s. if motors can be ordered from HeadsUpRC that'd be a plus!
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
too many planes
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Wolf I'd replace the speed controls before the motors. 2 30 amp speedys should do the trick. Hobby king has D 4023 850kv Bell housing type motors.
Last edited by ww2birder; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
628 Posts
Another issue now started with engine #2, from zero throttle, if I advance slowly engine #2 starts to very slightly stutter and never actually spins up just sits there being jerky, while engine #1 spins up nice a smooth. If I cut the throttle, advance the prop with my finger, then advance the throttle again engine #2 spins up normally about 50% of the time. I notced if I cut throttle and then advance again right away same thing, half the time engine #2 spins up, the rest of the time it stutters. Now that would really suck in the air. So does this sound like esc or motor issue?
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,183 Posts
Might be a bad pole on the motor. Try connecting it to a different ESC and see what happens.

On another issue, what are good motors for a step up in power?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
too many planes
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Ya those motors are not the greatest. Take the motor off and check the threaded rod isn't loose. Sometime you have to lock tight those things. Also, tighten the grub screws on those funky motor mounts. Hope it help dude.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
785 Posts
bad connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterswolf View Post
Another issue now started with engine #2, from zero throttle, if I advance slowly engine #2 starts to very slightly stutter and never actually spins up just sits there being jerky, while engine #1 spins up nice a smooth. If I cut the throttle, advance the prop with my finger, then advance the throttle again engine #2 spins up normally about 50% of the time. I notced if I cut throttle and then advance again right away same thing, half the time engine #2 spins up, the rest of the time it stutters. Now that would really suck in the air. So does this sound like esc or motor issue?
Sounds like you have a bad connection between the motor and esc. Motor going out of phase, maybe. Check your connections just to be sure.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:59 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
988 Posts
Another few flights with only a rough landing, but no damage. Otherwise all very nice. I'm liking this bird more and more. Started pushing it a bit more and did some rolls and loops. All very easy, but the wings do flex when you push her.

I set the timer down to 9min and both batteries were down to 30% (3S 2200mAh 30C). I think that's where I'll stay with my times, so 10min are out.

here's some pictures of the day thanks to my gracious wife
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,728 Posts
nice pics!
Great to see people still enjoying this excellent plane.
I'm itching to build up the V2 kit sitting in it's box, love flying my FMS Mustang, PZ T28 and Stinger jet but greatly miss having a Lightning...
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
988 Posts
Thanks Kurt.
You won't regret it. It's one of my easiest and fun planes to fly. And supprisingly trouble free until now. Just read through the thread and watch out for some pointers to avoid trouble from the start. I did and until now no nasty surprises.
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,728 Posts
oh believe me I know!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5070

I got too cocky on flight 25 or so, and destroyed my modded V1 while doing low, fast rolls

Plan on having my second one around for a lot longer
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:30 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,456 Posts
Gents, I just ordered this plane...I would like to set up counter rotating prop on motor #2....can anyone point me to the correct 3 Blade pusher prop for this effort??

Thanks in advance,
TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin