Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
794 Posts
wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjones View Post
Hey guys, can any of you with a V2 (or with the knowledge ) clear something up for me? I have heard that the wing is removable on V2 and I have heard that it is not. I realize the difference between V1 and V2 is V1 used glue to assemble most of the plane, whereas V2 utilizes screws.

The reason I ask is because I have a Mazdaspeed3 and I *think* the plane will fit if I fold down the rear seats, but if the wing were removable (even if I had the hassle of unplugging ESC and servo wires), it would make transporting the plane much more convenient for me!

Also, is this model getting phased out? I see Banana Hobby has had it out of stock for awhile.

If you were in my position and in the market for a new P-38, would you guys recommend the FMS version? The retracts will be removed from either plane...

(Yes I have read both threads, but I value your guys' opinion)
The wings on the V2 bolt together at the center pod. You would have to remove the tail, each boom, disconnect all the wiring, then you could separate the wings halves. It could be done, but I wouldn't want to try it.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
JPower P38

Hey here is my father flying my JPower P-38. It's running two Power 10's from Exceed RC and swinging two 10x8 MAS props. Using 40 amp ESC's from Hobbywing. It gets around 5-8 minute flights depending on your throttle management using 1 3s 4000 mah battery.

JPower P38 (5 min 14 sec)

JPower P38 Part 2 (3 min 21 sec)
SpiderMine is offline Find More Posts by SpiderMine
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
cool videos, and nice flying!

Are these the motors you have? Pricy!!
http://www.exceedrc.com/63m50.html

Nothing looks as cool as a P-38 swooping around the skies.
Nothing.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
cool videos, and nice flying!

Are these the motors you have? Pricy!!
http://www.exceedrc.com/63m50.html

Nothing looks as cool as a P-38 swooping around the skies.
Nothing.
Those are indeed the motors. I bought them about 2 years ago though, and they weren't that much then. I seem to remember them being around 30$. And I agree it's hard to beat a P-38 for overall looks!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
Well, looks like the Blitzrcworks/Jpower P38 V2 is now a discontinued product. http://www.bananahobby.com/p-38-v2-r...5671-prd1.html

Guessing the FMS model is replacing it? I emailed BH asking when it would come back in stock at the beginning of the week, and today received a reply. I think they also added the discontinued tag to the page.

Bummer. Really don't like the paint scheme of the FMS, though there is a V2 coming out with new paint, but when? Ugh.
Wildjones is online now Find More Posts by Wildjones
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjones View Post
Well, looks like the Blitzrcworks/Jpower P38 V2 is now a discontinued product. http://www.bananahobby.com/p-38-v2-r...5671-prd1.html

Guessing the FMS model is replacing it? I emailed BH asking when it would come back in stock at the beginning of the week, and today received a reply. I think they also added the discontinued tag to the page.

Bummer. Really don't like the paint scheme of the FMS, though there is a V2 coming out with new paint, but when? Ugh.
Looks like the Hobbyking V1 is running out as well. Only a few silvers left in the Australian warehouse. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16571 All others are backordered.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
Interesting. I am really curious if they are being discontinued or if they will be replaced with a V3 or something along those lines.
Wildjones is online now Find More Posts by Wildjones
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Getting ready to install some LEDS in the 38. I have trouble sometimes coming in low and not being able to determine orientation. I have these same lights in a Parkzone Wildcat and they really show up well even on a bright day. Will post some more pics after the install. After 150+ Flights it's time to do a few more upgrades! Such an awesome plane!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
It's A Miracle! A Great P-38 ARF Out Of The Box!

I just received my Hobby King P-38 today. After having read all the entries in this thread, I had really really been fretting about it. I bought it from HK because I wanted an ARF, and BH only had the RTF. I would have preferred the kit version from BH, but it was out of stock as well. Now it looks like the only place you can get the J-Power P-38 in any form is from HK.

It wasn't until after I ordered my plane that I realized the pics of the HK plane were of a version 1 kit. If I had noticed that before, I probably would have not ordered it at all after reading this forum. I pretty much just set my expectations on having to strip the paint and put in all new electronics. When the postman delivered the package, my expectations were further lowered. Even though the package was double-boxed, it was water-soaked and falling apart on one end, and was partially crushed. I am very happy to say, though, that although I received a version 1 kit with mechanical retracts, my unboxing inspection shows that I seem to have received a winner! No packing or shipping damage to any parts at all! An interesting side note: The box art appears to be identical to the BH Blitzworks box, but instead of saying Blitzworks, it says "X-UAV".

Inside the box, the surprises continued: The paint job is superb! No kidding - really! The motors and retracts are solidly-mounted in the airframe. The cowlings are firmly screwed into the nacelles. Heck, even the wheel well doors close tightly and fit perfectly! The only two issues so far, and they are really, really minor, is that the paint job on the spinners is a little sloppy, and the horizontal stabilizer has a very slight bow in it. The spinners aren't all that bad, and a little carbon fiber rod will easily fix the stabilizer. I am truly amazed at the appearance of what I received! I haven't tested the electronics yet, but visually everything looks pretty good. Even if I do have to replace some servos, I feel like I've won the lottery, given my expectations!

I have a set of E-Flite retracts new and in the box that I was planning to install. I probably will do that, but I'm really anxious to check out the OEM retracts, just to see if they are up to the quality (yeah, do you believe it?) of the rest of the model.

I was also planning to replace the motors - Not because I was expecting problems with them, but because I have no expectation that I will be able to replace broken prop blades with an appropriate alternative when I need them. I really like the look of the 3-blade on the P-38, so I'm trying to come up with a replacement motor for which I can reliably get replacement 3-blade props. I'm currently looking at two of the motors/props from Dynam that are on my Dynam SR-22 foamie. Finding a spinner may be a challenge, but I'll see if there is any way of adapting the existing units.

I have a couple of other projects going that I have to finish before I can get to the Lightning, so it's going to be really frustrating to have to wait to get started on this one!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
I own 7 Parkzone planes, 2 FMS, and 4 Durafly planes and this one is still my favorite. It goes to the field every single time I fly. Mine has the 10/15 E-Flite retracts, and they don't look scale at all but I fly from the worse field ever. And lets be honest, scale gear sucked up into the body looks the same as gear thats not scale.You can't see it anyway! So I could care less how it looks hanging on the wall.

150+ Flights on mine with the E-Flites and they are still holding strong. I did replace the motors and ESC's but I wanted a little speed out of it. Hell I think every single one of my planes has had the stock motor taken out and replaced with something more powerful. Hope you enjoy flying it and nothing beats a P-38 for looks in the air! Happy flying.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
786 Posts
Killer planes is still selling the Jpower p-38
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Ok I got a little sidetracked riding motorcycles yesterday but here is the P38 with the lights. They are really bright even out in the sun. Should help with seeing this thing coming at me now Time to put some in my Mustang. Thinking of Red and green for it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Hi guys!

Just got my 1400mm P-38, and as a noob, am a little hazy on the variants... so I apparently posted my initial post in the wrong thread -- hopefully this one is the right one for my plane!

Rather than re-post it including pics, I'll just give a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1949

Maiden attempt tomorrow!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
And here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2P...1&feature=plcp

So...

Maiden flight = not so good -- it was difficult to control and torqued over at low altitude... I was pretty sure one prop had come loose, but on inspection the prop, spinner, backing plate, etc were all perfectly fine. What it was, is that I failed to sync the two ESCs, leading to uneven thrust, and lack of thrust = crash. Check the props @ 20 sec into video and it's obvious they are at way different speeds.

But as to Maiden Day, it turned out pretty good in the end!

Later, another gear servo went out, so those gear are just not going to work.

I fixed the ESC issue, taped the flapping gear door shut, unplugged channel 5 from radio (it will be a bellylander) and eventually flew three or four totally cool batteries through it in that configuration.

It takes off fine as a hand launcher, plenty of power to just jump out of your hand, and landings are easy-peasy -- very smooth.

All in all, for $60, it looks like it will be loads of fun!

I'll try to remember to get some further vid, this time of more successful flights!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
And here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2P...1&feature=plcp

So...

Maiden flight = not so good -- it was difficult to control and torqued over at low altitude... I was pretty sure one prop had come loose, but on inspection the prop, spinner, backing plate, etc were all perfectly fine. What it was, is that I failed to sync the two ESCs, leading to uneven thrust, and lack of thrust = crash. Check the props @ 20 sec into video and it's obvious they are at way different speeds.

But as to Maiden Day, it turned out pretty good in the end!

Later, another gear servo went out, so those gear are just not going to work.

I fixed the ESC issue, taped the flapping gear door shut, unplugged channel 5 from radio (it will be a bellylander) and eventually flew three or four totally cool batteries through it in that configuration.

It takes off fine as a hand launcher, plenty of power to just jump out of your hand, and landings are easy-peasy -- very smooth.

All in all, for $60, it looks like it will be loads of fun!

I'll try to remember to get some further vid, this time of more successful flights!
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad it was easy to fix. How did you fix the ESC issue? I haven't maidened mine yet, but unsure how to sync the ESCs, what needs to be done? thanks!
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member