Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
300 Posts
P-38 fans...Heres my latest video production of the Banana Hobby P-38 by FMS.... enjoy!

Rich

Banana Hobby P-38 "Lightning" Review by Rich Baker in HD (47 min 47 sec)
jetpilotrich is offline Find More Posts by jetpilotrich
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilotrich View Post
P-38 fans...Heres my latest video production of the Banana Hobby P-38 by FMS.... enjoy!

Rich

http://youtu.be/OR1k8xsNGpw
Wrong thread. Should go here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447651

Edit: it's there already.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,055 Posts
Hello everyone, did my maiden yesterday and it was successful. I must say I have been having a bad streak latetly, and crashing a lot with other models - sometimes pilot error, sometimes something on the plane went wrong, or whatever. Anyway, my mental state for the maiden was really down and making me even more nervous, but I just had to get it out of my system.

The only mods I have is the mix to shut off the steering of the nose wheel when its up. My flying field is an old unused road with big ditches full of festering water on both sides, and the banks are a bit higher than the road suface with 1 meter high reeds - so I really have to track straight on take off and landings have to be quite precise. The surface of the road is also full of pebbles and not clean so take offs and landings are always hairy but manageable. I fly with a 3S 2200 30C and startet with 5 min. timer on the Tx. In the end flew 2 Batteries and both charged up about 545mAh so I can definatly increase the flying time. Next flight I'll put the timer up to 8min. and see. I'd like to get about 10min. out of it. Needless to say, no acrobatics and flew 50-75% power all the time. Only some bursts of full throttle when needed. I'm still not a good flyer by any means.

I took off all right and the planed tracked nicely with a nice climb rate and flew very nicely. I needed no trims and just circled around to get a feel for it. Soiled my trousers twice as the sun was quite low, but still strong, and as the P38 was circling between me and the sun it just became a black blob, and I lost orientation, but was able to keep my cool and came through all-right.

The only other thing that was throwing me off were the LG doors. On mine I have the ones that spring shut. However the springs are not strong enough and the doors hang open in flight, sometimes more, sometimes less, and I could feel the drag effect throwing the plane off trim. But the P38 is quite forgiving and it was nothing one couldn't recover from. I will definitetly be adding some rubber bands to the doors to keep the shut in flight. On the first flight I had 40% expo and 70% rates on the aileron, and on the second increased it to 50% expo and 60% rate. Didn't like the response on the 2nd flight so much - the plane was really slow to respond on the ailerons so will go somewhere in the middle next time.

Needless to say, I was quite nervous and everytime I tried to line it up on the runway it either seemed too fast or high so never really attempted to land on the road. Also my old DX7 does not have a ratchet on the throttle stick so with nervous fingers it is sometimes very hard for me to really control the throttle setting while moving the ailerons. I really need to stay cool to get it right. In the end I landed gear up on the grass both times - not perfect but ok - and no problems, no broken parts, props intact.

I think I only started breathing again 10 min. later on my way home with a big smile on my face.
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:10 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilotrich View Post
Wong thread, but great video!
I'm hoping FMS comes out with a 1700mm P-38, would closely match the scale of my 1400mm FMS P-51...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Hello everyone, did my maiden yesterday and it was successful.
Congrats!! All of us (I hope :/ ) know the great feeling of a successful maiden flight.
Personally I never bothered installing rubber bands on the gear doors.
Took the front one off entirely, never even notice it's not there in the air. The rear ones do hang open a bit but it never bothered me enough to do anything about them. On my next P-38 (killed the V1 after 35 flights...) I'm going to try fitting oleo shocks, which won't work nicely with the doors anyway so will likely take all 3 off.

Here's a few photos from the Milwaukee airshow last weekend BTW, to get y'all juiced up about flying your Lightnings
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
332 Posts
Do any of you have drop tanks for this model that you'd like to sell?
Redhood is offline Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:18 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhood View Post
Do any of you have drop tanks for this model that you'd like to sell?
I've got some I'll give you. I'm in southern MN also.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
I've got some I'll give you. I'm in southern MN also.
LOL I've got my unused tanks also, and will be driving through southern MN next week! But I'll be on business with a couple colleagues so would be tough to make a drop off....
What happened to yours Redhood? Did they really drop?!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
332 Posts
They didn't drop.I never had them. I bought it used. I want to use them for the P-38 and another set also for a jet I'm working on.
Redhood is offline Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
USA, CA, La Quinta
Joined Aug 2007
92 Posts
Does anyone have an extra green version 1 canopy they want to sell? Just the clear part will work for me. Thanks!
timlq is offline Find More Posts by timlq
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:12 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,548 Posts
congrats on the maiden!
Not flown mine for ages now since the football fields are being cut by a useless company and they only cut it once every 3 weeks and then it's still about 4 inches long, I did try my fw190 which has retracts on this morn after a major rebuild but it just kept nosing over and could not get it to run so I either leave it till next year and hope for a better grass cutter or take of retracts and hand launch! Got plenty of other stuff to fly which is hand launched so I will probably just wait and see-seems a shame to take all retracts out after all the fun I had putting them in!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
take off retracts and hand launch!
That's the beauty of retracts! Retract them!

I had to do that the other day when I missed my approach and had an emergency-- pulled the gear back in and set down in the grass.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:43 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
That's the beauty of retracts! Retract them!

I had to do that the other day when I missed my approach and had an emergency-- pulled the gear back in and set down in the grass.
There is allways that option too I suppose, could just unplug retracts and tape up door for now till next year and see if field gets cut better then.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,432 Posts
I fly with the ultimate in reliable retracts- none! The P-38 is a great flyer and easy to hand launch. The weight savings of the gear I put into using two batteries, one per side and get much longer flights.
Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Bay Area, California
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
Hey guys, can any of you with a V2 (or with the knowledge ) clear something up for me? I have heard that the wing is removable on V2 and I have heard that it is not. I realize the difference between V1 and V2 is V1 used glue to assemble most of the plane, whereas V2 utilizes screws.

The reason I ask is because I have a Mazdaspeed3 and I *think* the plane will fit if I fold down the rear seats, but if the wing were removable (even if I had the hassle of unplugging ESC and servo wires), it would make transporting the plane much more convenient for me!

Also, is this model getting phased out? I see Banana Hobby has had it out of stock for awhile.

If you were in my position and in the market for a new P-38, would you guys recommend the FMS version? The retracts will be removed from either plane...

(Yes I have read both threads, but I value your guys' opinion)
Wildjones is offline Find More Posts by Wildjones
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,312 Posts
I dont think the wings are removable in either version unless you mod it. Its just the construction method that differs.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz