HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
Well after 32 VERY enjoyable flights, my V1 is dead
I got cocky (in front of an audience, of course) doing low level rolls and went in full bore, nose first. Total airframe destruction, even crumpled the battery pack. She gave her all and the motors, RX, ESC and maybe a servo or two will live on.
Now (after I maiden an FMS P-51 this weekend) I get to build the V2 kit and hopefully keep this Lightning looking a flying good for much longer.

The gear linked in the previous post arrived, and should work out great!
They are VERY nicely made for <$7 each. Smooth spring action (will cut a few coils out since they're a bit to stiff for the weight of the P-38 I'm sure), wheels spin nicely, no damping but after fully assembled on plane there may be a little simply from the air being forced out/in through very small leaks.

Will just need to drill out the LG trunion to 4mm and find a chunk of 4mm rod to adapt to the V2 worm-drive gear. I've also got 2 of these metal trunions on the way which should 4mm holes, or I'll drill them out.
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2523

Here's what they look like next to the stock V2 rear gear.
The set comes with 2 sets of 2 small tires, one with 2 larger. Swapped them around so the rears will have one large wheel each, 2 (or maybe just one) smaller one on the front.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,473 Posts
Those are sharp!
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Those are sharp!
bit o' jewelry for the Lightning

just weighed them: 21g each vs. ~11g stock with oversized foam tire. So a bit over 1oz total increase for 3. Will shift the CG back a tad but don't think the Lightning will even notice the weight increase.

Trying to find 4mm rod to join these with the retracts wasn't easy. Google gave a supplier of 4mm music wire, called them and was told have to go through Tower. Called Tower, nice lady Denise couldn't find any in their catalog (she agreed Tower's online site SUCKED), but by sheer chance she clicked on replacement gear for the Dirty Birdy, which is 4mm. Of course their search "engine" wouldn't bring these up.
Told her thanks honey but $20 to cut 3 pieces about 1" long was only a last resort, then found and ordered this off Amazon for $10 to arrive next Tues:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050RMTUC/...0_M2T1_SC_dp_1

If anyone needs 6" worth I'll mail you a chunk for $3 :P

Of course these struts won't smoothly open the gear doors, but after flying a while with the V1 and no front door (cavity painted flat black) I'll probably just take all 3 off. Can't notice it in flight, no more doors flopping/opening in the air, and anyway the door hinges on the V2 were sloppily installed so the doors don't close cleanly anyhow.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
You might try disassembling the oleo struts and adding something highly viscous to the springs for damping effect.
Filling the body with a heavy weight grease might do it, maybe some rubbery substance (like rubber glue or silicone), or even spray foam.
Probably won't need much, so long as what you put in there will still allow the gear to return to full extension.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined May 2011
70 Posts
P-38 Gear length? (strut for mains & nose)

Hi there,

I'm upgrading the gear in my P38 (v2) and was wondering if anyone had the right measurements for the strut length? I got some 2.5" Dubro wheels for the mains and 2" Dubro wheel for the nose.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Oboc is offline Find More Posts by Oboc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
P38

Here’s a very nice P38 in Canada.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=143413
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Here’s a very nice P38 in Canada.
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-fue...lanes-fs-w-38/
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
Thanks Gohmer. Lots of nice models there.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
P38 first flight

Here's my first flight with the BH P38 using the 2.4 GHZ radio that came with the model.
The BL motors had more than enough power with the throttle stick set about half way. Props were 2 bladed GWS 10 x 6 which drew slightly less power than the three bladed. This P38 is easy to fly and does not appear to have any bad habits.

P38 war bird first flight (4 min 13 sec)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Cosmic Craig
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
I hope someone can help me. I just aquired a (I think) FMS P-38 Lightning (57" wing span). It's pretty nice but the landing gear is very flimsy and currently not working. Does anyone know of either a mechanical or electronic landing gear set that will fit this plane? I've been searching and found a set at Hobby King but the reviews are very negative and I didn't want to take an expensive chance. Also saw a set by Hobbico the 4000 series but am not sure about those. Someone must have encountered this problem before and I hope can share their solution. Thanks.

Cosmic Craig
Cgolin is offline Find More Posts by Cgolin
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
so-cal
Joined Jun 2010
718 Posts
Try PW-RC.COM
maddawg1 is online now Find More Posts by maddawg1
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Also valuehobby. Look back in the thread for "FAQ," there are some additional links to landing gear selections there.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2011
70 Posts
Seems that my P38 doesn't want to turn the props until I'm at 20-30% throttle. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using the stock esc/motors and a spektrum ar8000 w/ dx8.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:02 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboc View Post
Seems that my P38 doesn't want to turn the props until I'm at 20-30% throttle. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using the stock esc/motors and a spektrum ar8000 w/ dx8.
You need to calibrate the ESCs to recognise where the end points are on your throttle channel. You need to confirm with the manual for the ESCs you are using, but calibration is commonly done by connecting the battery with the throttle in the Full position, then after the first beeps, drop it to the off position. Check the manual to be sure.

HTH, Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
You need to calibrate the ESCs to recognise where the end points are on your throttle channel. You need to confirm with the manual for the ESCs you are using, but calibration is commonly done by connecting the battery with the throttle in the Full position, then after the first beeps, drop it to the off position. Check the manual to be sure.

HTH, Sub.
Thanks, Sub! I'll give that a try.